I don't like my Rancho RS5000X shocks

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
As the title states,. I don't think they are very good, regardless how inexpensive they are. I recently installed a set, and noticed that the rear end moves around a lot more than I'm used to. I'm coming from bilstein 5100s, of about the same length. It almost feels like rear steer, but it's probably uncontrolled rear roll vs rear steer. Happens on bumps, feels like the rear is moving out of sync with the front end. In a turn or curve, once the chassis settles, it's not bad.

While wheeling, driving over the small rocks (8-12 inch diameter) that litter the trails around here, the body was moving around A LOT, unless I went ridiculously slow. It was not a comfortable feeling.

My rear suspension set up is Currie arms, 2" OME springs, 3/4" spacers and shocks mounted in the factory location. I have re-located my upper perches to the center of the frame arch. I also created my own track bar mounting bracket on the axle side to help with uptravel. The JKS relocation bracket I was using caused the track bar to crash into the fuel tank cross member. My new bracket is forward from the old JKS angled relocation bracket about an inch and a half. No bind on the frame side bushing.

I have moved my anti rock links from their softest setting to the middle point. That made it better, but still not great. Any other ideas before I change them out for something else?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have had that shock on to TJ’s and I am never noticed anything radical as far as movement and my first one was all over the place when I started ...i’d check all the bushings (you have 16 back there plus the shock bushings) and see if the shocks could be exaggerating excess control arm and sway bar movement .

I have had that shock on to TJ’s and I am never noticed anything radical as far as movement and my first one was all over the place when I started ...i’d check all the bushings (you have 16 back there plus the shock bushings) and see if the shocks could be exaggerating excess control arm and sway bar movement .
Joints are tight. Just rebuilt the JJ in my control arms.

Joints are tight. Just rebuilt the JJ in my control arms.
I love johnny Joints. Hate you are having that experience, I wonder is there a fantastic shock for our typical lift heights available?

Reactions: Mike_H
I love johnny Joints. Hate you are having that experience, I wonder is there a fantastic shock for our typical lift heights available?
Sure is. I could spend 1300 dollars on custom tuned foxes, and another bucket of time welding in some outboard mounts. While I would like to do that someday, that day is not today. I was looking for something to tide me over.

Reactions: D M
I didn’t care for mine either, they’re better than what I had (procomps) but only
marginally. I don’t understand the forum love for them.

That said, I’m not sure how your other modifications affected this experience. Was all of this at the same time, or did you do one thing at a time to be able to isolate the issues?

I didn’t care for mine either, they’re better than what I had (procomps) but only
marginally. I don’t understand the forum love for them.

That said, I’m not sure how your other modifications affected this experience. Was all of this at the same time, or did you do one thing at a time to be able to isolate the issues?
Unfortunately, it was all at the same time. The only thing I can relate it to is way back, when I first lifted my jeep and I was on factory arms. I installed the springs, but did not loosen and retorque the control arms to 'reset" the bushings. At that time, the rear felt like it was doing something different than the front too. Blaine suggested that I loosen and retorque the control arms on level ground. That was an easy solution (kinda...with my rusty bolts it was a fight) and it took care of the issue. The Johnny Joints should not behave in the same manner. The ball is free to spin within the bushing so that there isn't any rubber fighting to get to its neutral position.

Reactions: rasband
You mentioned the track bar bracket, but is the track bar tight?

I recently had a little clunking noise. Didn’t really feel any movement, but found the axle side of the rear track bar a little loose. S ought to see it move when I rocked the Jeep side to side. Re-torqued it and no more noise.

Maybe yours is loose enough to feel the movement?

I'm not a fan of mine either. I recently put 5100's in the front (with an almost 50/50) and they are actually more comfortable than I remember. At first I thought running different shocks front to back would feel off, but I've actually grown to like it. If your old shocks still fit with the new lift.

Reactions: Tob and skrelnik
Sure is. I could spend 1300 dollars on custom tuned foxes, and another bucket of time welding in some outboard mounts. While I would like to do that someday, that day is not today. I was looking for something to tide me over.
Not what im saying...i mean a direct bolt on.

Reactions: D M
I run OME shocks and I’m happy with them. Hard to compare to my previous ranch shocks as I changed a bunch of stuff all at the same time. Control arms, track bar, tires... the Jeep rides better now but could be a combination of things.

I just put the 5000x on mine, 4 inch lift and had RC shocks on it. The Ranchos are way better than what I had!!!! Smoother ride and all that. Are they the best, I think for their price point they are.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I believe shocks are quite objective. Personally, I liked the softer, mushy as some would say 😅, ride of the rs5000x. I came from the nitro pros and bilstein 5100 prior to installing the rs5000x in my jeep. My experience was on road they felt softer and increased body roll but offroad they really shined and soaked up washboard roads much better than the two prior shock brands.

To each their own I suppose.

I think you need....

37EF92E1-A427-4177-8469-206330207199.jpeg