I don't really understand the hate around the 4 cylinder

When I was deciding, I test drove both and read a lot of posts, it seems with the amount of posts on how to get more horsepower out of the 4 cylinder it just made more sense to get the 6 and spent that time and money of other junk and/or IPA's. The 4 banger did struggle on the freeway. but any wrangler is a blast to drive.

Reactions: Willys LJ
I hate the 4-cylinder a lot, but I also hate the 4.0 also. I just happen to hate the 4-cylinder just a bit more.

I'm an equal opportunity type of guy.

Reactions: Blondie70
I paid a little over 2k for my 2004 SE with a solid unrepaired frame, I have maybe 3.5k total invested now. I have changed the timing belt, water pump(since I had to remove it for timing belt). I also changed all the shocks, fluids, tires, and rims, the exhaust plus all the control arms. Now I'm going to finally replace the front fenders with the ones I had powder coated. Looking on FB marketplace, and Craigslist I know I could sell it for more then I got into it.

I'll keep the 4 banger if I want to go fast I'll take out one of my corvettes.

Reactions: HYRYSC
The problem with the 4 cylinder is this...what's the #1 thing people do with Jeeps?
Bigger tires. 8 of 10 jeep owners always bump the tire size. Even with no lift they want a 31. Wtth a lift they want a 33 or 35.

The 4 cylinder is "ok" with stock 28.5 " tires. Go to just a 31" and 5th gear is unusable in Pennsylvania as example. Trying to climb a mountain in PA with the little fella is a task at best. 3rd gear is common, back to 4th, back to 3rd...back to 4th...

That is the problem.

Off road must be done nearly exclusively with low range as well.
Although I will say it's a nice little package in low range off road...

On road in this state isn't friendly.

A lot of Jeep people are forever owners of the brand.
Some of these people got to enjoy an AMC v8 in a CJ. Later years (76-81) from the factory rated lower than the 6 it far exceeds the 6 with some cheap easy mods.

Neither Jeepv(4 or 6) will go fast.

In flat Florida the 4 cylinder is less irritating.

In PA on the road can be a real PITA.

The problem with the 4 cylinder is this...what's the #1 thing people do with Jeeps?
Bigger tires. 8 of 10 jeep owners always bump the tire size. Even with no lift they want a 31. Wtth a lift they want a 33 or 35.

The 4 cylinder is "ok" with stock 28.5 " tires. Go to just a 31" and 5th gear is unusable in Pennsylvania as example. Trying to climb a mountain in PA with the little fella is a task at best. 3rd gear is common, back to 4th, back to 3rd...back to 4th...

That is the problem.

Off road must be done nearly exclusively with low range as well.
Although I will say it's a nice little package in low range off road...

On road in this state isn't friendly.

A lot of Jeep people are forever owners of the brand.
Some of these people got to enjoy an AMC v8 in a CJ. Later years (76-81) from the factory rated lower than the 6 it far exceeds the 6 with some cheap easy mods.

Neither Jeepv(4 or 6) will go fast.

In flat Florida the 4 cylinder is less irritating.

In PA on the road can be a real PITA.
True unless you regear which is what I think anyone with a TJ should do as one of their first mods. I have had 3 jeeps in my life, I have regeared 2 of them. I would have regeared all of them if I had known what a major difference it made when I had my first.

They still won't go fast, but then again, it is shaped like a brick, so that kind of goes without saying. I have had 2 of the 4.0s and 1 of the 2.5s (the 2.5 is my current one). With 5.13s and 33s it is very usable on the street, hills you definitely have to keep the RPMs up, but easily doable, I am slowly putting together the stuff for an LS swap, but that is only because I am sitting at 200,000 miles, I know that it isn't going to be too many more years before either the 2.5 or the AX 5 give up the ghost.

Personally I don't hate the 4 cylinder, I think it depends what you want out of the Jeep. I've driven a few 2.5L YJs and thought they were fine with a manual trans while they were on stock tires. If someone plans on keeping their Jeep completely stock, and doesn't care about power (someone like my sister) then I think it would be adequate and wouldn't steer them away from one in good condition for a great price.

I enjoy having more power, I tow a small trailer with my Jeep, and I never keep my Jeeps on stock tires. I think the reason for the 4 cylinder "hate" in the Jeep community is that most Jeeps are modified at least to some degree, and a 4.0L will allow for a bit larger tires without the critical need to regear. With a 4 cylinder any move to larger tires will require a regear in my opinion, which then adds cost to any build.

So a 4.6L stroker is shit? :rolleyes:
Exactly when did Jeep offer an OEM 4.6L stroker? If you are going to drag in never offered displacements/configurations, yes the 4.6L stroker sucks in comparison with common OEM V6 and V8 offerings.