I don't think this story is true

I live near where this happened, and I absolutely believe it's true. Recently, there was some guy walked right up to a kid's lemonade stand and took $80 from their cash box (jar?). Can't remember exactly where that happened, but it was local to the Puget Sound. The place is crawling with creeps and assholes. As far as the "Go Fund Me" thing goes, I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's one thing to help reimburse the kid for his lost money, but if they give him the total amount gathered thus far (over $3,000), what does that teach him? That there will always be someone there to catch him when he falls? 🤷‍♂️
I'll stop now, before I get political.

Last edited:
Here's why I think that lemonade story tastes fishy.

1) Who let's a kid have that much money available to make any change with no oversight?
2) How does someone stop for a $15 lemonade? ($100-$85 exact change = $15)
3) What does an 11 yr old try to buy at a gas station?
4) Why did a neighbor and not a family member or someone his lives with start the gofundme?
5) Why no lemonade stand in the gofundme screenshot?

Sadly I'm sure too many people don't pay attention to what kids do and the gas station is more likely a convenience store so #1 and #3 may get a pass.

FWIW, I do recall reading about the $80 from a lemonade stand cash box not too long ago. Maybe I read it because you posted it here IDK. I didn't realize that it was so close to the same place. Anyway, maybe that is what inspired this event to occur regardless of who actually caused it (the customer, the neighbor, or a relative) and what actually happened.

Reactions: diggerwolf
Have you stoped at one of these stands lately? They’re not charging 25 cents any more.
These stands are a learning experience for the kids and this one learned a valuable lesson, if it is indeed a true story. Who in their right mind would stop at a kids lemonade stand knowing they only had a $100 bill? Another “I fucked up now send me money” story.

Here's why I think that lemonade story tastes fishy.

1) Who let's a kid have that much money available to make any change with no oversight?
4) Why did a neighbor and not a family member or someone his lives with start the gofundme?

Sadly I'm sure too many people don't pay attention to what kids do and the gas station is more likely a convenience store so #1 and #3 may get a pass.

FWIW, I do recall reading about the $80 from a lemonade stand cash box not too long ago. Maybe I read it because you posted it here IDK. I didn't realize that it was so close to the same place. Anyway, maybe that is what inspired this event to occur regardless of who actually caused it (the customer, the neighbor, or a relative) and what actually happened.

I can see why you question the authenticity of the story, and that's fine (though I thought if the media printed it, it must be true? :sneaky:). But as far as the kid having that kind of money, around here, I see kids walking around with the latest and greatest phones (far more expensive than anything I own in a phone), and it's like it's no big deal. Face it, brother, it's a different world these days.

When a $15 glass of lemonade is worth every penny... ;)
1659899994301.png

I'm still hoping that the the story is true, even though he shouldn't have been robbed.

VIDEO – $10K Raised for Boy Scammed at His Lemonade Stand: ‘Proves There Are Great People’​

https://www.breitbart.com/health/20...nDQfINkpjwKxSObQ6Hj7cDtbHNoI42cqhMlyPUD2i8c2s

But now I see that he run three businesses, was robbed of his allowance money by two men, the $85 was change for the $20 purchase with a $100 bill and someone now has at least $10,000 maybe him.

I think my hopes are being challenged.😥

Reactions: Wildman

1) that's not that much money (he struggled to gather $85). If he started the day with a smaller kitty and sold a handful of drinks he'd be at $85 pretty quickly
2) If you new you could make $85 on a $15 investment, you wouldn't do it? Especially if the $15 wasn't real dough? The way I see it, the perp made $100 AND a glass of lemonade. And I didn't see anywhere whether that was $15 for one or if the drinks were $5 each and the perp 'bought' three
3) The kid might have buying a pack of gum just so he could break the large bill. At that point he likely thought he was setting up for business the next morning and needed the $100 broken
4) Maybe the parents didn't want any appearance of conflict of interest?
5) No idea on this one. Shitty photography? Including the stand with no buyers would have been a real tear jerker.

I’m always weary of GoFund me. That site is a scam 9 out of 10 times I believe. Just like the panhandlers standing on every corner. They want you to feel bad for them when in reality some are making 6 figures tax free!

Reactions: L J
6) Are lemonade stands still a thing?
7) Who buys unsealed food or beverage from a child unless they're related to said child?

6) Are lemonade stands still a thing?
7) Who buys unsealed food or beverage from a child unless they're related to said child?

I’ll see three or four stands every summer. I did it as a kid and remember the excitement of making a sale so I always stop for a glass or two…. Even if I drive away with it and don’t actually drink it
I’m always weary of GoFund me. That site is a scam 9 out of 10 times I believe. Just like the panhandlers standing on every corner. They want you to feel bad for them when in reality some are making 6 figures tax free!
this ^^^^
True story…. I worked in Brooklyn Heights for years. Every morning I would see a young man panhandling on the same corner.. Leaning on a set of crutches, dressed poorly and appearing to have severe physical handicap. I saw him every day and at the time I could easily pick him out of a lineup. Came back to the area late on a weekend to take my then girlfriend to dinner at the sidewalk cafe’s and sure as shit he passed me on the sidewalk…. On a skateboard; in $100 high top sneakers, wearing a Walkman. Truly wish I never saw him because he ruined it for every other person I see who may or may not actually need help…

It’s nice to see different opinions…lemonade here is a dollar usually, but people always pay more. I’m proud of my backwoods, hillbilly status.

Carry on.
NOTHING is a dollar around here. The items in the Dollar Tree store all start at $2.

True story…. I worked in Brooklyn Heights for years. Every morning I would see a young man panhandling on the same corner.. Leaning on a set of crutches, dressed poorly and appearing to have severe physical handicap. I saw him every day and at the time I could easily pick him out of a lineup. Came back to the area late on a weekend to take my then girlfriend to dinner at the sidewalk cafe’s and sure as shit he passed me on the sidewalk…. On a skateboard; in $100 high top sneakers, wearing a Walkman. Truly wish I never saw him because he ruined it for every other person I see who may or may not actually need help…

Yep, something very similar ruined it for me too. I would love to be generous and altruistic, but these guys have ruined it for me on a large scale. Now you never really know who is truly down and out on their luck and who is just scamming you. From what I've seen, the majority of the panhandlers are con artists. It's sad that this is what it's come to, but when you can make up to 6-figures tax free, all of a sudden it makes sense why you're seeing so many of them as time goes on.

Also why I don't trust GoFundMe as well. I've seen so many stories in the news about all these GoFundMe campaigns and how they've turned out to be scams. The general rule of thumb I have now is that if I don't know the person in some way I'm not going to just anonymously donate money online to them. I have to at least know them on some level even if it's not a personal friend.

Reactions: MikekiM