I don't want to live on this planet anymore

Someone please explain these letters.

I thought we were talking about Jeeps Wranglers?
Yeah, I guess technically only YJ, TJ, JK, and JL are Wranglers.

YJ: Wranglers from 1987 - 1995
TJ: Wranglers from 1996 - 2006
JK: Wranglers from 2009 - 2018
JL: Wranglers from 2019 - ?

CJ: Civilian Jeep 1945 - 1986
XJ: Cherokee 1984 - 2001
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 1993 - 1998

Reactions: Thunderhead
It may sound stupid to us that a Jeep owner doesn't know which two letter code Wrangler they own, but I know that if I were to say look at Land Rovers (or pick your poison), and Rover guys were talking in codes, I'd have no sweet clue what in the hell they were talking about.

Must people buying a JK or JL are coming from a "regular" SUV or car, and are not cult followers.

Lol thks Mike.. i was kinda trolling.. in the spirit of this thread.

Add to the list Wk and Wk2 for the grand Cherokee 2000-2010, and 2011-present.

Reactions: RubiconMike
Lol thks Mike.. i was kinda trolling.. in the spirit of this thread.

Add to the list Wk and Wk2 for the grand Cherokee 2000-2010, and 2011-present.
Don't forget the SJ 1974 - 1983

IMG_0129.JPG

Don't forget the great LJ debate...oops, did I just say that??!! Thread derail alert...

Now that people have this handy guide to tell what they unwittingly bought, do they try to return their Wrangler because it's not what they thought they were buying...?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I am bummed they put the turn signals back in the fenders. That is the only thing I don't really like about my TJ. If I were crazy enough to buy a JL, The first think I would do is take off those hideous fenders off and drill holes in the grill, and put the blinkers back where they belong.

At least the TJ still looks like a CJish except with holes cut in the fenders, but the fenders on the new jeeps aren't really even fenders. I think they would look so much better if they instead of put the blinkers in the fake fenders if they just retro'd flat fenders.

Seriously who wouldn't buy a new retro CJ2a flat fender now. Especially if it came with 33 inch tires and 4:88 gears? I know you guys are going to freak out about 4:88 gears, but the original cj2a's came with 5:38 gears, so we are not that far off.

If they are going to bring back the camaros, chargers, and mustangs, why not the cj2a? Whos with me?

1946-Willys-Jeep-4.jpg

Full disclaimer, I know above is not the point of the thread, but the blinkers in the fender is the obvious link to the jk jl debate, they didn't need a whole manual to draw up all of the differences. If you can see the front of the Jeep, you know what it is right away. Either way they are not as good looking as the jeep in this picture, of which I would buy one of those if it was retro'd long before I would by either a JK or JL.

I am bummed they put the turn signals back in the fenders. That is the only thing I don't really like about my TJ. If I were crazy enough to buy a JL, The first think I would do is take off those hideous fenders off and drill holes in the grill, and put the blinkers back where they belong.

At least the TJ still looks like a CJish except with holes cut in the fenders, but the fenders on the new jeeps aren't really even fenders. I think they would look so much better if they instead of put the blinkers in the fake fenders if they just retro'd flat fenders.

Seriously who wouldn't buy a new retro CJ2a flat fender now. Especially if it came with 33 inch tires and 4:88 gears? I know you guys are going to freak out about 4:88 gears, but the original cj2a's came with 5:38 gears, so we are not that far off.

If they are going to bring back the camaros, chargers, and mustangs, why not the cj2a? Whos with me?

View attachment 66716

Full disclaimer, I know above is not the point of the thread, but the blinkers in the fender is the obvious link to the jk jl debate, they didn't need a whole manual to draw up all of the differences. If you can see the front of the Jeep, you know what it is right away. Either way they are not as good looking as the jeep in this picture, of which I would buy one of those if it was retro'd long before I would by either a JK or JL.
FCJ just needs to start importing the Mahindra ROXOR and rebadge it as the "Jeep Classic" It's not street legal, but the original CJ wouldn't be by today's standards either.

https://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/roxor-road-only

awroxor-2119.jpg

Isn't that supposed to be "FSJ"? As-in "Full Size Jeep"? Nice one there, by the way. I had a '79 Golden Eagle, as well as an '84 Grand Wagoneer. Nice rigs!
As far as I could research, "SJ" is the official Jeep designation for the Cherokee built from 1974 - 1983. FSJ is slang for any of the full size Jeeps (Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator).

That picture is Cher, an '81 rust-free California car I bought for $300 and restored. Completely origional, it had a rare 6-cyl, 5-speed manual combination. It was a Laredo model, which was like a luxurious version of the Chief - it had the wide-wheel package standard. That was wider axles and actual steel fender flares.

What she looked like the day I brought her home. Laredo stripes, faded paint, no carpet/headliner, and 250,000 on the clock. I bought it from the guy who ordered it new in '81.

1115081246.jpg

FCJ just needs to start importing the Mahindra ROXOR and rebadge it as the "Jeep Classic" It's not street legal, but the original CJ wouldn't be by today's standards either.

https://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/roxor-road-only

View attachment 66738

I think they could make a street legal cj2a. I mean the may have to stretch it out both ways and do some stuff to it, but if they can revive a 68 camaro, they can do this. Well maybe not Fiat/Chrysler. I have been thinking in my head how the hell to do it myself, but I am much too old and my current TJ takes most of my time as it is.

Reactions: alittleoff
The title reads "JL or JK? How to tell whether your 2018 Wrangler is a JK or JL"

So they are saying when you bought your new Jeep you have no idea what you bought....!!!
Funny thing is, they generally have a sticker right in front of the door that says JL or JK...

They sold the jk for about the first 6 months of 2018, the stated reason was for people to decide if they like the JL or would prefer to stick with the JK.

As to shared drive train, the motor is the same, the trans and axles are different, and I'm not sure about the tcase.

I saw that "guide" the other day. So sad.

And here my wife is wondering how I can tell the difference from a TJ and a YJ or a JK and a JL from the back of it from across the parking lot.

Funny thing is, they generally have a sticker right in front of the door that says JL or JK...

They sold the jk for about the first 6 months of 2018, the stated reason was for people to decide if they like the JL or would prefer to stick with the JK.

As to shared drive train, the motor is the same, the trans and axles are different, and I'm not sure about the tcase.

I believe they redesigned the 3.6 for the JL.