I finally bought an LJ!

PNW_LJ

Crazy Russian
Supporting Member
Hey everyone,

Well, I finally bought an LJ. 2004, auto, 160k, hardtop, completely stock (except bull bar and wheels), frame is clean as can be. It was certainly a long 3 months of searching, but here we are. I wanted a khaki/red LJ Rubicon, auto, hardtop with under 150k miles(around $20-25k and requiring a loan). This one popped up on my local marketplace, 10k! The guy ended up getting nearly 30 interested parties within a couple of hours, I was lucky to make it to his place just 20 minutes before the 2 next buyers did!

While it's not a Rubi or my desired color, for the price, I can't complain! The LJ is just soo much cooler and fun to drive. Having this paid off will also allow me to get a headstart on building it up to 35s on my tight college kid budget lol. The first step is to get rid of my JK (and the pesky payment) ASAP. From there the plan is to do the basic engine maintenance and all fluid changes, maybe add an upgraded tranny cooler. Going to leave mods alone just for the time being, I've made the mistake of rushing into builds before, but not anymore!

So excited to join the TJ/LJ community! Lmk how I did, or if y'all got any tips. Thanks!

IMG-2276.jpg

IMG-2259.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome! If you're used to creature comforts of the JK, might I recommend upgrading your head unit to a DMH-W4660NEX. That and replacing my seats made all the difference for me.

Watch out for those PCM & OPDA issues

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Welcome! If you're used to creature comforts of the JK, might I recommend upgrading your head unit to a DMH-W4660NEX. That and replacing my seats made all the difference for me.

Watch out for those PCM & OPDA issues

Thank you! I actually love the ruggedness of the LJ over the JK, but a carplay headunit is the only "comfort thing" I would add. That and some seat risers, I wanna sit up taller.

As far as I know, 2004 did not suffer from any PCM/OPDA issues?

Ah must be an 05-06 thing. The fortunate, unfortunate ones!

Wireless carplay is a gamechanger if you plan to daily

I have a Pioneer 4400NEX in my JKU, it is occasionally quirky, but wireless CarPlay is great. My only real complaint is that if the phone is doing anything that plays sound, it will interrupt the radio. Sometimes I get bored at red lights, but also my kids have been known to play on my phone. It's not enough of a pain to cause me to 2nd guess my choice.

Nice find on the LJ.

Reactions: Rustynj and PNW_LJ
Thank you! I actually love the ruggedness of the LJ over the JK, but a carplay headunit is the only "comfort thing" I would add. That and some seat risers, I wanna sit up taller.

As far as I know, 2004 did not suffer from any PCM/OPDA issues?

I think I have some seat risers you can have. Was going to raise then got a pair of seats on marketplace instead. Just have to dig through the parts box. Congrats on the SCORE!

Nice score! I also have a silver LJ.

I went with the Sony XAV-AX3200 about a month ago when it was on sale for $300. I would have gone with an Alpine, but that was $100 more. The Jeep will be parked outside, so figure it could be stolen.

No complaints about the Sony other than it must be wired for Android Auto. Not a big deal because I usually just use the audio over bluetooth. Only plug it in if I want to use Google maps.

Nice score! I also have a silver LJ.

I went with the Sony XAV-AX3200 about a month ago when it was on sale for $300. I would have gone with an Alpine, but that was $100 more. The Jeep will be parked outside, so figure it could be stolen.

No complaints about the Sony other than it must be wired for Android Auto. Not a big deal because I usually just use the audio over bluetooth. Only plug it in if I want to use Google maps.

Does it come with provisions for backup camera?

Bestbuy has free install incl. with purchases from them too. Just need to supply the harness & bezel.