I finally bought my dream guitar

@Chris ... I've been wanting to add a Nash Tele to the mix, but also wanted to get another Gretsch. I had a Brian Setzer Signature while I was running around the west coast in a Rockabilly band.

So I decided to mix the both for now. Low and behold the Nash Tele with Lollar Filtertrons.

xbzk8ztjidghqrjdyakp.jpg
zedaxhmfzmc0v3hlokft.jpg

For those of you that know me, you'll know I'm just as into guitars as I am into TJs.

I'm really big on Blues and Jazz, with a big love for arch top style guitars. I also love semi-hollow and hollow body guitars and almost refuse to play any guitar that isn't at least semi-hollow. I gravitate towards the more peculiar and asymmetrical shaped guitars as well.

All of my adult life I've lusted after Collings guitars. Hand built in Austin, Texas by the late (he very recently passed away) luthier Bill Collings. I've never seen such fine guitars in my entire life. These things are absolutely glorious in regards to the craftsmanship and the way they play. Many celebrities own them, including Johnny Depp, who is said to be a big Collings fan.

Anyways, I could never afford one until now (and even now I'm not sure I can, I just couldn't resist), but I found such a great deal on one I just couldn't pass it up.

And without further a-do, here is my Collings Eastside LC Deluxe:

View attachment 44419
View attachment 44418 View attachment 44417 View attachment 44416 View attachment 44415 View attachment 44414 View attachment 44413

By the way, definitely not trying to brag or anything. I'm just super excited (it doesn't get here until next week) and I don't have anyone to share it with. Oddly enough none of my close friends are into playing music at all (sad but true).
Now that you've had it for a few years, what is your review and perspective?

That's all that matters. Find the ones you love and play em.

Whos building?

I've always wanted a Nash Telecaster. I've played some of his stuff and they were great.

If any of you guitar geeks want to go to the NAMM show next January hit me up. I usually have a few left over passes.
Timely that this thread should pop up. I just picked up this amazing little travel guitar from a local maker (Bright Guitars). Got to spec out all the details during purchase. It sounds really cool, mando/uke-ish. I'm working on a version of "Bury Me Beneath the Willow" as my first song. Using Chris Thiles mandolin version as inspiration. Pictured next to the old dreadnought bluegrass boomer for perspective.

PXL_20210701_173813808.jpg

Reactions: glowell222 and Vasq
I just started getting back into playing electric guitars. I went on a bit of a spree and picked up the following:

Gretsch G5410T White
G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Ash Body Gloss Natural
Bassbreaker 15
Positive Grid Spark
and a few other items to update the audio interface stuff

I'm not into playing live, but just like to jam and record occasionally.

@Chris ... I've been wanting to add a Nash Tele to the mix, but also wanted to get another Gretsch. I had a Brian Setzer Signature while I was running around the west coast in a Rockabilly band.

So I decided to mix the both for now. Low and behold the Nash Tele with Lollar Filtertrons.

View attachment 255636View attachment 255637
I love that tele btw.

I ended up just getting both because I really like that tele Alnico bridge. My filter'trons seem like they might need a touch of tweaking, but it might be the strings or something else as well. I haven't had as much experience with electric hollow bodies, let along a Gretsch. One of my buddy's family have long histories in playing and performing country music going back to the '60s (for his grand-dad) so most of my guitar experience is based on their old fender amps, guitars, and some Gibson hollow bodies and they used steel strings. I did love the sounds from all the bands that used the Gretsch guitars. I always wanted a White Falcon, but I'm too cheap to go that route and so often you can get very similar sounds with some tweaking when recording. Stuff live is different and maybe even some of these crazy high recording formats with high end monitors, but typically close enough is good enough for me.

When I'd jam with my buddy they typically let me use an original G&L ASAT, which I always wanted and finally grabbed a tribute (which I like better and happened to have Alnico pickups) this year. I've got a Thinline tele knock-off that I'm trying to tweak and make sound and play better. I was gonna build a guitar, but picking out pieces that I liked from around the internet was gonna be over $1k, which is hard to justify for someone that's never built a guitar.

I decided to build a "barncaster". Here's the body I purchased
Tele Body.jpg

I'm thinking a roasted satin maple neck (probably from Warmoth, because there's a neck profile I want to try out), Fender pure vintage reissue pickups, mostly Fender road worn hardware (the wife thinks I should try a slightly more decorative bridge, but I'm not sure), except the neck plate, probably no pick guard, but I do like the tortoise pick guards typically, but I'm really not sure on some of the final finishing touches.

I decided to build a "barncaster". Here's the body I purchasedView attachment 270221

I'm thinking a roasted satin maple neck (probably from Warmoth, because there's a neck profile I want to try out), Fender pure vintage reissue pickups, mostly Fender road worn hardware (the wife thinks I should try a slightly more decorative bridge, but I'm not sure), except the neck plate, probably no pick guard, but I do like the tortoise pick guards typically, but I'm really not sure on some of the final finishing touches.

Just whatever you do, leave the dot inlays off the neck :LOL:

Nothing ruins a great guitar for me more than those stupid little dot inlays on the fretboard. I can't tell you how much I hate them.

Reactions: BugoutJeep

Nothing ruins a great guitar for me more than those stupid little dot inlays on the fretboard. I can't tell you how much I hate them.
I never even thought twice about the dots. I only have 1 guitar without them I think. That would add a bit of simplicity to the look. I haven't purchased the neck yet, though if one is in stock I'll probably get it, assuming everything else is the same.

Reactions: Chris
I decided to build a "barncaster". Here's the body I purchasedView attachment 270221

Spalted woods always look great, in my arrogant opinion. That's going to turn out very cool.

Spalted woods always look great, in my arrogant opinion. That's going to turn out very cool.
I love stuff like burls and odd grain patterns, etc. My question is to high gloss and try to build up where there's some imperfections or just run it satin. For stuff like this I tend to like to do baby steps, so I'll probably assemble it as is and then just think about it. I do like satin necks better, I just feel like it's easier to slide my hand around or something.

I really want to build multiple guitars though and I'd like to build one based on my crate engine box as well, though I think I'll just copy it to some other wood and maybe just a cheap guitar body off of E-bay to save a bunch of time.

I'm seeing the dot inlays everywhere now and great call. I do want to leave the side dots, but it does look clean. Here's kinda what I'm thinking of ordering for the neck

Tele Neck.jpg

I love stuff like burls and odd grain patterns, etc. My question is to high gloss and try to build up where there's some imperfections or just run it satin. For stuff like this I tend to like to do baby steps, so I'll probably assemble it as is and then just think about it. I do like satin necks better, I just feel like it's easier to slide my hand around or something.

I really want to build multiple guitars though and I'd like to build one based on my crate engine box as well, though I think I'll just copy it to some other wood and maybe just a cheap guitar body off of E-bay to save a bunch of time.
Imperfections make a piece pop-I vote that you go satin and enjoy the imperfections. I find perfect is boring.

For the necks-agreed on the satin, it just feels better on my hand. Fingerboard: rosewood or maple? I love a rosewood fingerboard for the warmth of the tone, but I also love maple for it's shiny bright tones. Fender has some roasted maple necks available-they have just announced the end of manufacture of any roasted maple necks, so if you are interested this is your chance.

• Wow
@jmbstudios luv the look of that Tele. Most of my guitars have what I call, war markings. Tje patina on then is from touring and playing stage diving gigs. I enjoy all styles of music that incorporate strings, but my mainstay is what is known as hardcore or NYHC. Nothing like watching an adrenalin filled audience thrashing about as you play what's causing them to react is said way.

@Chris very cool to learn that you're a guitar fan. Im probably considered a music addict. In any given week, I'll be sitting at my desktop, after work, writing and recording songs. I was once a sucker for collecting guitars as well. Until I realized I was running out of room to store and rotate them.

Nice to see that some members share similar passions and enjoy playing an instrument.....or at least appreciate them. Anyone into guitar amps? @jmbstudios I spotted that little Bad Cat combo 👍 Cool amp, no doubt.

I like the Rickenbacker and Gibson inlays, and I have seen the dots laid in different parts of the neck-not centered. I even saw a guitar recently that had LED inlays on the neck, which I found less than appealing. Also saw a guitar with only side inlays, and the inlays were made with the radioactive glow-in-th- dark material found in military watches. Kind of cool, kind of angry grill-esque. I wouldn't want them for myself.