I found a nearly OEM looking head unit that has Bluetooth and hands free calling (made by Continental)

@psrivats thanks for sharing this. In addition to the clean simple look, Bluetooth, USB/Aux, and possible hands-free calling, I especially like the Radio Data System and the fact that it has a volume knob vs up/down buttons. Thanks for doing the research & hands-on and your willingness to share your experience with the rest of us!

I have been looking for something like with Bluetooth that for my daily driver BMW. I need Bluetooth for my work. I wonder if they have the bezel available for my 2004 E46. I already sent them an email asking, who knows if they'll reply.
Have you checked out Grom Audio?
https://gromaudio.com/store/all-bmwt.html
I added this to my 02 E39 a couple of years ago with no issues

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Have you checked out Grom Audio?
https://gromaudio.com/store/all-bmwt.html
I added this to my 02 E39 a couple of years ago with no issues
That looks like the answer. Did you install yours in the trunk or behind the radio? I'd rather place it behind the radio. What kind of a job is it to get the radio out? Everything is easy to do on Jeeps but not so much on BMWs lol.

That looks like the answer. Did you install yours in the trunk or behind the radio? I'd rather place it behind the radio. What kind of a job is it to get the radio out? Everything is easy to do on Jeeps but not so much on BMWs lol.
that depends on where you have everything installed. since mine is in the dash that is where I did my install. if you have the DSP, I believe it needs to go in the trunk.
as to the radio, yours is completely different than mine

Thanks very much Twopoint, that video was awesome. I'm just going to add their Bluetooth kit to my OE BMW radio so it won't be nearly as involved as as that Sony installation was.

My current Bluetooth hands-free is a small visor mounted Motorola Roadster 2 whose speaker is small and tinny sounding. It'll be nice to have incoming calls (I get a lot of them) coming over the radio's big speakers.

Thanks for the help!

And sorry for the thread hijack!

Reactions: Twopoint
If the radio has blue tooth, does that guarantee that it has hands free for your cell?

No, not necessarily. There is such a thing as Bluetooth kits that support streaming audio only without hands free for phonecalls. You specifically want to get a kit like the one that I linked that supports both.

@Squatch I received this head unit in the mail today. It looks really great and I don't think it can get any more stock looking. None of the plastics are shiny in any sense. The buttons on the front look and feel great, and so does the knob (with it's detents). It came with a bezel as well to get it installed flush.

I'll post pictures after installing it in my Jeep. I think I'm going to be *very* happy with this.

Here is a photo directly under a lamp. I wish you guys could feel the quality of plastic it's made of!

IMG_20190725_213038.jpg

Last edited:
@Squatch I received this head unit in the mail today. It looks really great and I don't think it can get any more stock looking. None of the plastics are shiny in any sense. The buttons on the front look and feel great, and so does the knob (with it's detents). It came with a bezel as well to get it installed flush.

I'll post pictures after installing it in my Jeep. I think I'm going to be *very* happy with this.

Here is a photo directly under a lamp. I wish you guys could feel the quality of plastic it's made of!

View attachment 106382
The simplicity is beautiful! By comparison, the one in my wife's XJ makes me feel like I should take some Ecstacy and go clubbing. :rolleyes:

So, what was the final cost to get it in your possession?

The simplicity is beautiful! By comparison, the one in my wife's XJ makes me feel like I should take some Ecstacy and go clubbing. :rolleyes:

So, what was the final cost to get it in your possession?

It was $170 shipped to my house. I chose to buy it from a reputable company within the US that is a licensed distributor and therefore offers warranty and returns. I was able to talk to them on the phone and they answered all my questions clearly and patiently.

There are sellers from Eastern Europe and Germany that offer it for less, but after you factor shipping, it's not that much less. Plus it will take longer and what do you do if it ends up damaged in shipping or something?

I know people are going to say it's too expensive and that I could have bought a headunit and possibly amps for that price, but I would not have bought any of what I saw on Crutchfield irrespective of price. So yes, I did pay for looks/functionality combination that I wanted. Sometimes simplicity is expensive.

View attachment 106382
Can't wait to see photos of the unit installed!

View attachment 106382
Anxious to see how the bright orange backlight flows with the factory backlight.

I don't think that adapter will work on 2004-2005 models?
no, I dont believe so as the dash was reworked and the radio in those was a 1.5 din... if you select the 2005 jeep wrangler on Crutchfield's site they will recommend the Metra 99-6503 kit. The harness adapter and antenna are also different for those years.

It was $170 shipped to my house. I chose to buy it from a reputable company within the US that is a licensed distributor and therefore offers warranty and returns.

May I please get a link to where you bought your radio? My teenage daughter thanks you greatly in advance for the installation of a radio bluetooth.