I get why people are buying $50K+ new Wranglers

I've never driven a vehicle with adaptive cruise, but I'd be willing to give it a try as I'm a cruise control junkie - its the *ONLY* "technology" I want in a vehicle, but I insist on it. I'll hit the cruise to drive a half mile under the right conditions.

With that said, it would remain to be seen if I liked adaptive CC or not. I'm not a "pack follower" in traffic, I want to go my set speed and will change lanes to do so. I'm either passing an entire "pack" or having a pack pass me, preferably the latter! Adaptive would slow me down if I wasn't paying attention. Its probably too expensive and gimmicky for my taste - but again, I'd be willing to try it. At this point though, the likelihood of my having that opportunity is vanishingly small. I'll live...
you will probably never get a car with adaptive cruise control as they (as far as I know) only come on vehicles with some form of forward collision avoidance cameras...and that is usually in the package with all the technology crap you and I hate.

Reactions: Apparition
You’d worry if your vehicle auto slows down when you get to a certain distance.

My company car has adaptive cruise, and I didn't know. I figured it out when following a tractor trailer going up a slight grade. The car gradually slowed down. I kept thinking, I'll pass when I get closer, but after I realized what was going on, I selected a shorter range before the car would slow.

I don't like tailgating, but the default range seemed like it would slow down almost 1/8 miles behind a slower vehicle. The range I selected, works well for me to check traffic and pull out and pass, on a 4 lane, without slowing down.

Reactions: Apparition
you will probably never get a car with adaptive cruise control as they (as far as I know) only come on vehicles with some form of forward collision avoidance cameras...and that is usually in the package with all the technology crap you and I hate.
Yep. I'm "done" with new vehicles anyway for just that reason.

Our Forester was in for the dreaded CVT replacement (under warranty) and the dealer gave us a brand new Outback which we needed to help my daughter move about 800 miles away. The wife, who doesn't like CC started out driving the Outback with my daughter riding while I drove the daughter's car behind them. A couple hours later while they switched drivers, I told them to start using the cruise control, I'm tired of slowing down and speeding up every couple minutes. They both looked at me like I was crazy and told me it was on the whole time. It might be great in Kansas or somewhere out there but not where there are hills, curves and too many other drivers. I didn't even like it when I was driving it home.

Our Forester was in for the dreaded CVT replacement (under warranty) and the dealer gave us a brand new Outback which we needed to help my daughter move about 800 miles away. The wife, who doesn't like CC started out driving the Outback with my daughter riding while I drove the daughter's car behind them. A couple hours later while they switched drivers, I told them to start using the cruise control, I'm tired of slowing down and speeding up every couple minutes. They both looked at me like I was crazy and told me it was on the whole time. It might be great in Kansas or somewhere out there but not where there are hills, curves and too many other drivers. I didn't even like it when I was driving it home.
some companies do CC better than others. It has been annoying riding with others when their vehicle loses 8 mph going up a hill then gains 8 mph going down.

Reactions: mrjp
how many miles on the forrester when the cvt went? what symptoms did you have? I changed out the cvt fluid on my Outback at 60K even though they claim lifetime. It was a process that required going in through the passenger front wheel well to fill, then go for a drive to warm it up. Finally while the car is running you put the last quart in to top off. If I did not have a lift I would not even have attempted it.

some companies do CC better than others. It has been annoying riding with others when their vehicle loses 8 mph going up a hill then gains 8 mph going down.
I've never had a CC that didn't maintain on up to medium hills - that's the idea behind the thing. Hell, I drove a Hyundai rental one time that actually downshifted the transmission going down a steep hill to maintain speed (prevent runaway) - so I didn't have to!

I've never had a CC that didn't maintain on up to medium hills - that's the idea behind the thing. Hell, I drove a Hyundai rental one time that actually downshifted the transmission going down a steep hill to maintain speed (prevent runaway) - so I didn't have to!
I can't remember what it was, some rental. I determined I wouldn't buy one but it wasn't a Ford anyway and other than the Jeep I pretty much only drive Fords.

Reactions: Zorba
I got stupid busy in the last 48 hours so I missed much of the conversation about cruise control. I find different model vehicles do betters than others from the same company. My wife's 2017 Renegade has cruise control that I find infuriating, it can't maintain speed for anything, going up a hill? It's going to slow down. Going down a hill? Did some say down hill derby racing? Honestly it's a miracle I haven't gotten a ticket with her car yet.

Oddly enough my favorite cruise control, not adaptive, that I've owned has to be my 2006 Jeep Liberty with the factory turbo diesel engine. You set that sucker and I don't care the grade up or down, it's going to hold that speed AND never downshift either. Climbing a mountain over 63mph (That is the speed at which it shifts into 5th gear)? Yup it's going to hold 5th gear the entire way. Going down a mountain? If you have cruise control one it's going to hold speed.

I don't know if the aerodynamics of the Liberty are that bad on the down hills, but it's incredible. Living out in the country with very little traffic but a ton of county sheriffs wanting to write speeding tickets, using the cruise control on my Liberty has been my favorite thing about the Liberty other than the ridiculous fuel economy of 30.5mpg if I'm cruising at 55mph or If I'm on the interstate and going below 70mph, there are VERY few roads over 65mph where I live, I'm getting a constant 28 ~ 29mpg in my Liberty.

I know the Liberty is not a well loved Jeep model but it's the sole reason I decided to convert my TJ to a diesel. I can't wait to get a similar driving experience out of my TJ once I have everything up and running again.

I will add this one final statement, if I could get the new JL 2-door with a the diesel, I would buy that today. As controversial as this is going to sound, owning both a LJ and TJ, I prefer the smaller TJ over my LJ.

-Grant

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
This hit me last night while I was trying to figure out everything I needed to do to wrap up my build on my diesel swapped TJ. I've wanted a diesel Wrangler ever since I got my Diesel Liberty back in 2014, that Jeep really changed my understanding of torque vs horsepower. I'm not saying diesel is the best style of engine for everyone, there are times where you want to have horsepower when you are wheelings, I just not that type of driver.

So just out of curiosity I went to Jeep's site last night and built what would be my ideal Wrangler just to see how expensive it would be and while it is expensive it wasn't as much money as I thought it would be.

View attachment 239232

Looking at that price compared to what I paid for all my Jeeps I've gotten in the last 4 years and especially for the amount of money I've dumped into my diesel swap which I'm now on my second driveline setup, I could have very easily spent a little bit more money and just gotten a new diesel Wrangler JL and my family could have easily fit in it as well.

My kids are really getting too big for my LJ and after how long I've been building my TJ, I'm no longer sure what I'm going to be doing with my LJ. I still absolutely detest the NSG370 6-speed manual, that transmission makes no sense to me at all.

I don't know, I think the lack of wheeling I've done over the last 2½ years is really catching up to me now and I'm still having to do so much to my TJ to get it finished isn't helping either.

Point being I get why people are not getting TJs and going with JL instead. I won't sell my TJ, too much work when into it and I really think it's the perfect size for the type of wheeling I do, especially for where I live as well. With that said though if I was just getting into a Wrangler and I knew I wanted a diesel, I would not have gotten a TJ, I would have gotten a diesel JL instead.

-Grant
Nah nah nah, that eco diesel crap is unreliable. Check it out I had a 2019 Ram 1500 with that Eco diesel and drove it 30K miles from 2019 to a month ago, it had check engine light out of NO WHERE, Dealer charged me a service for it and had to get a Chrystler technician to come over the weekend to look at the truck 3 days later they said they changed the filter, """updated the computer""" and fixed the problem. These turbo diesels when I went under the hood before giving it to them have an issue with sucking in too much dirt and crap into the engine and even the 1500 did not have a good enough filter, before Chrysler told me that I knew it was a flawed design. I'm sure everyone results will very but my use has proven this vechical unreliable, also the truck had NO tech in it just a standard radio No screen even. The update they did is they adjust the toelrances for a Check Engine Light, I saw the same on my 1999 Jeep grand Cherokee, it passed mechanic tests and Emissions test with 3 cylinders misfiring! no one knew they were misfiring until I took it to a offroad tech and he told me the computer was programmed to have the engine is fire 221 times before a check engine light comes on, after that the Ram 1500 got a CEL and I knew when they "updated"t eh software they just made it a problem that appears right after warranty ends. Don't even get me started about how a 6month old gladiator died in a Walmart parking lot due to a motorcycle /2 battery system these new jeeps have failing for NO REASON on a trip to LA. I have pictures and error codes and services record of all of these things too (That battery took Chrysler 5 days to replace!!!!!!!!) :

jl1.jpeg

jl2.jpeg

jl3.jpeg

Just got our 3rd currentish era jeep. (the 3 military jeeps I grew up with really should not count). JL gas, JL diesel, and now a LJ. The JL gas was a nice Jeep, kind of wish we would have kept it - this LJ will end up costing at least as much. That said, I am not complaining about the upgrade to the diesel. My wife was bragging about 22mph - yes but we have not calibrated the speedometer, so it is probably closer to 25. It has enough torque and power to do anything I would want to do with a Jeep. I wish it could tow more, but that is a wheel base issue (well that and probably a half dozen other things, but those could be addressed - the wheel base can not).

My main vehicle is an F250 diesel, so I am spoiled to a certain degree about towing with over 900ft/lbs of torque. Towed the LJ back 500 miles home, and honestly other than the brakes on the Uhaul, I could have forgotten I had a trailer behind me. (I have a much better farm trailer, but did not want to temp the highway patrol by driving it well past it's tether and out of state-I figured the rental was a lot cheaper than the ticket. Well, that and my farm trailer weighs over 6000lbs by itself, so I would have probably noticed it was behind me.

The real question is not why people pay for the new Jeeps, but why the price of the old ones is so high. For me, I hope it was worth it - but the LJ could do some things I would not really want to do with a JL. It is a lighter vehicle to tow, and seems to be easier to make into something I would want for overlanding. The sad thing is that is going to be well more than 10k worth of modifications.

Reactions: Chris