I got called a mall crawler today

The bed's too short to let the fiver turn - without one of those morphodite sliding hitches, and double cab trucks drive like a school bus. Not my scene. I'd want a single cab, 8 or 9 foot bed - or preferably for a fiver, a chassis cab. Oh, and a ball hitch for the fifth-wheel. I've been involved with 3 fivers in my time, two of them with ball hitches, the other with the conventional pin. Pin hitches SUCK.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
The bed's too short to let the fiver turn - without one of those morphodite sliding hitches, and double cab trucks drive like a school bus. Not my scene. I'd want a single cab, 8 or 9 foot bed - or preferably for a fiver, a chassis cab. Oh, and a ball hitch for the fifth-wheel. I've been involved with 3 fivers in my time, two of them with ball hitches, the other with the conventional pin. Pin hitches SUCK.
Fair enough I guess. Differs from my own experience however where the trailer has no issues with turning on a short box, in fact all the long box does is add weight. And the extra seats are for the other family (kids?) that are along for the trip, and who are not supposed to ride in the trailer, at least not in this state.

I have a long bed crew cab Denali, doesn't feel like a school bus at all to me anyway (and I've driven one professionally, a bus that is).

I was worried about hitting the cab too. I purchased one of the Reese slider hitches, but I have only slid it twice. I guess the neck on the trailer is set pretty far forward. I can get the truck to about 90 degrees without contact. When I load up next month I’ll see if I can remember to take a photo.

Fair enough I guess. Differs from my own experience however where the trailer has no issues with turning on a short box, in fact all the long box does is add weight. And the extra seats are for the other family (kids?) that are along for the trip, and who are not supposed to ride in the trailer, at least not in this state.

I have a long bed crew cab Denali, doesn't feel like a school bus at all to me anyway (and I've driven one professionally, a bus that is).
Well, I haven't driven a school bus - which is probably why I don't like double cab - or cab and a half - trucks. I don't understand how you can NOT have a turning problem with a short box however - half of 8 feet is 4, and the box is 6 which means the axle is 3-1/2 feet or so from the back of the cab - but maybe that's changed with the latest versions of the short box trucks. The ones I've seen in the campgrounds all had those sliding hitch lashups so they could turn. This assumes the hitch is actually located directly over - or slightly forward - of the axle... *shrug*

But the long box won't add any weight whatsoever if you do away with a box altogether, which would be my approach if I were to ever own another fiver. Not to mention a ball type hitch - which would eliminate another 100 lbs or so of hitch!

I like where you're going here. How much you think we could charge Overlanders for the faux-crawling treatment? Some painted on rust, couple strategically placed skid marring, some cut tread lugs, and premium treatment includes screwdriver gouge appliques on beadlock rings.

Don't forget the ever classy bullet holes left there after escaping from bandoleros down in Baja that crazy weekend back in 2018 :LOL:

so today I was at home depot and I got out of my jeep and a dip shit was next to me in the parking lot with his pick up and he said to me nice mall crawler. I said thanks and kept walking but then I was thinking am I? I love to go off-roading but living in the city makes it hard to get out sometimes so my jeep has stayed somewhat clean. now my jeep isn't set up crazy I have bumpers tires and a lift. I know this is stupid for me to put on here but I just kind of wanted to put it out there it doesn't matter what mods you have done your part of the community (unless you have the angry bird grill) don't let those kind of people bother you
joe.B

Don’t bother, Just remember:

it’s a JEEP-THING ,

they won’t understand it anyways 😂

~•|||||•~👋🏿

I WAS a mall crawler last night. My daughter picked the parking spot. Technically, we're between the lines

20201215_172720.jpg

I had a conversation not too long ago, in which a young man in his early 20s asked me about my Jeep, then proceeded to explain to me that if I wasn’t on 37‘s and trailering my rig, then I wasn’t “off-roading”. I told him that I’ve done many hundreds of hours over the years off-road in various rigs ranging from bone stock to minor lifts, but that I certainly admire my friends’ rock-crawling rigs. I tried to gently explain that Jeep culture encompasses a lot of different rigs and terrain. I do not believe he was convinced.

• Face Palm
Reactions: WSS
I had a conversation not too long ago, in which a young man in his early 20s asked me about my Jeep, then proceeded to explain to me that if I wasn’t on 37‘s and trailering my rig, then I wasn’t “off-roading”. I told him that I’ve done many hundreds of hours over the years off-road in various rigs ranging from bone stock to minor lifts, but that I certainly admire my friends’ rock-crawling rigs. I tried to gently explain that Jeep culture encompasses a lot of different rigs and terrain. I do not believe he was convinced.
Tiny wiener - he feels the need to compensate for it. I know a few like that too

This happened to me a couple years ago at a Best Buy... after I parked and heading into the store a guy yelled “nice mall crawler ya got there” all I could do was look at him and say” it’s nice your husband lets you drive his truck” it was a stock Ford Ranger ...