I hate my 2005 TJ steering wheel

OHFIVETJ

TJ Addict
I really loathe the steering wheel in my 2005 TJ. Are there any other designs from manufactures, or other year jeeps that might fit & are an easy swap ?

I have also heard that some people buy a leather wrap kit & tediously sew them on themselves.
Any thoughts / input on both ?

swap: to much hassle and cost

cover: I installed a Wheelskins cover. It's not perfect but was a great value/cost addition. It also added a bit of circumference to the grip.
wheelskins.jpg

Momo :ROFLMAO:

On a more serious note, someone on here added a Grand Cherokee wheel to their TJ.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jamesval035
I got two out of a XJ and they fit
The ones out of the WJ did not
I picked them up for less that $100 each, with the better one I got for about $60 plus shipping

The one out of the WJ might fit yours-I am not sure when the design change was but if it will fit yours you can have it for what I paid for it-- its darn near perfect

I really loathe the steering wheel in my 2005 TJ. Are there any other designs from manufactures, or other year jeeps that might fit & are an easy swap ?

I have also heard that some people buy a leather wrap kit & tediously sew them on themselves.

I am not a fan of that *corporate* steering wheel design, either. It looks like it belongs in a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

If you don't have or don't need cruise control, you could use a 1997 or early 1998 steering wheel that was used on models without cruise control. This one looks the most "Jeep" like, in my opinion.

jeep-wrangler-interior-036.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ
Yea, they're not the greatest looking steering wheels ever made for sure. As mine doesn't have cruise control as yet - and I'm putting an aftermarket unit in with the controls on a stalk where they belong, I guess I could change mine out. Maybe to a nice, classic 4 spoke design - a bit more diameter would be nice too. In actuality, I probably won't bother.

Reactions: Head Lice
Better but not much, nothing sporty or rugged - they all suck ! I hate the leather shift boot too, prefer the rubber one, but it's too small to fit in the console of the 05-06 / any ideas on that ?

Better but not much, nothing sporty or rugged - they all suck ! I hate the leather shift boot too, prefer the rubber one, but it's too small to fit in the console of the 05-06 / any ideas on that ?
Take the console surround out altogether. Rubber boot or even a metal surround would be nice.

Gee-- I kind of like the wheels-- especially the ones that have the jeep logo in "chrome"
The overland wheels are pretty nice i think also
Looks like I am WAY out numbered here

Take the console surround out altogether. Rubber boot or even a metal surround would be nice.
Thanks, i don't want to lose the entire console it's all one big unit. It would look crappy & lose storage that we don't have to start with.

Last edited:
I used a $17 cover I got from Amazon. It took a good 1.5 hours to stitch it on. It wasn't fun, but when I was done it was well worth it. I'm not an expert by any means, but I think it turned out OK.

20200416_153423.jpg

AULLY PARK Universal Car Steering Wheel Cover Genuine Leather Stitch

It's not genuine leather but rather synthetic or what they like to call "bonded leather", but it's decent quality for $17 I don't think you can beat it.

20200419_165157.jpg

Thanks, i don't want to lose the entire console it's all one big unit. It would look crappy & lose storage that we don't have to start with.
I hear you - mine's the late 2 piece version. I'm thinking about replacing with an ammo can between the seats, and have bare floor forward. Or laziness may factor in and I'll leave it alone!

I also put a Wheelskins cover on mine and it is awesome. Takes a little time to install but the results are very satisfying. Mine is perforated so it feels like I am driving a 911 around.

Another reason to hate modern shit. I changed my CJ steering wheel out with a Grant 3 spoke. Took all of about an hour, mainly because of the amount of beer involved.

🍻

Reactions: wraith1516
Wheelskins are cool - but don't change the basic wheel. I have a wheelskin on my '85 MBZ because the original padding was just starting to get 'picked'. However, I need to get another one, this one is around 18 years old and is worn out!