I hate the carpet!

kzrider

I've owned a number of jeeps over the years (CJ3A, CJ5, CJ7, Commando a couple SJ's and a couple XJ's) and I picked up this sweet 97 last fall. I've been caught in a couple unexpected heavy downpours this year already with the top down. As expected my carpet gets soaked and depending on the weather it has taken some time to dry out. I plan on removing the carpet and applying some sort of liner. Looking for recommendations on what has worked for everyone. Hoping to have at least a little sound deadening as well as ease of application. What have you used? Pros/ cons of doing this?

Thanks
00N0N_h3YD0BnbEIB_1200x900.jpg

TWiG01

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I’m on the opposite end. I love my carpet. I know you’re familiar with Jeeps, but removing the carpet will make it noticeably noisier inside and more hot/cold depending on the season. A liner will offer a little more durability, but not much (if any) in the way of sound deadening.

Wtrask

I put bedrug rubber liners in mine and love it. It works and looks similar to a bed liner but provides heat and sound insulation. I also added some insulation around the tunnel area to help with sound and heat.

Reactions: TheBoogieman

Jerry Bransford

TJ Guru Moderator
Staff Member
Supporting Member
If you remove the carpeting you better make sure what you use in its place has plenty of thermal insulation to block the heat from the catalytic converter. If not you'll be riding around in an oven, the catalytic converter stays extremely hot and its heat comes right through the floor where it heats up the interior. Not to mention it'll be lot noisier inside without acoustic insulation in addition to having thermal insulation.

I have taken my carpeting out twice and both times I put it back in due to the miserable heat and noise afterward. I learned my lesson and just put up with the factory carpeting that will always dry after it gets wet.

imahnu17

Supporting Member
I'm with the consensus on this for the most part. I took out my stock carpet and bedlined the tub but it didn't help with heat or sound deadening. Later on i did add some Noico sound deadening material in two different layers and then added some BedRug carpet which did make a noticeable difference in noise and heat reduction.

As far as the carpet drying out faster, I'd just remove it after it gets wet and find a place to hang it so the water can run out and the air can get to it. I have to do this often myself since I go through water crossings and mud pits often.

OP
K

kzrider

Thanks for the input. Looks like I’ll keep the carpet after reading these replies and just deal with the drying process. Noise and heat were definitely concerns of mine. When I owned all the early CJs I was quite a bit younger and noise/ heat weren’t really an issue as they are to me now.