I hate the carpet!

kzrider

I've owned a number of jeeps over the years (CJ3A, CJ5, CJ7, Commando a couple SJ's and a couple XJ's) and I picked up this sweet 97 last fall. I've been caught in a couple unexpected heavy downpours this year already with the top down. As expected my carpet gets soaked and depending on the weather it has taken some time to dry out. I plan on removing the carpet and applying some sort of liner. Looking for recommendations on what has worked for everyone. Hoping to have at least a little sound deadening as well as ease of application. What have you used? Pros/ cons of doing this?

Thanks
00N0N_h3YD0BnbEIB_1200x900.jpg

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I’m on the opposite end. I love my carpet. I know you’re familiar with Jeeps, but removing the carpet will make it noticeably noisier inside and more hot/cold depending on the season. A liner will offer a little more durability, but not much (if any) in the way of sound deadening.

I put bedrug rubber liners in mine and love it. It works and looks similar to a bed liner but provides heat and sound insulation. I also added some insulation around the tunnel area to help with sound and heat.

If you remove the carpeting you better make sure what you use in its place has plenty of thermal insulation to block the heat from the catalytic converter. If not you'll be riding around in an oven, the catalytic converter stays extremely hot and its heat comes right through the floor where it heats up the interior. Not to mention it'll be lot noisier inside without acoustic insulation in addition to having thermal insulation.

I have taken my carpeting out twice and both times I put it back in due to the miserable heat and noise afterward. I learned my lesson and just put up with the factory carpeting that will always dry after it gets wet.

I'm with the consensus on this for the most part. I took out my stock carpet and bedlined the tub but it didn't help with heat or sound deadening. Later on i did add some Noico sound deadening material in two different layers and then added some BedRug carpet which did make a noticeable difference in noise and heat reduction.

As far as the carpet drying out faster, I'd just remove it after it gets wet and find a place to hang it so the water can run out and the air can get to it. I have to do this often myself since I go through water crossings and mud pits often.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I’ll keep the carpet after reading these replies and just deal with the drying process. Noise and heat were definitely concerns of mine. When I owned all the early CJs I was quite a bit younger and noise/ heat weren’t really an issue as they are to me now.

I think most people that get into TJs have this love hate with the carpet. I took mine out and partly just because I've had the old carpet in different vehicles and when used for hunting and off-road the carpet seems to stay pretty nasty smelling. Heat can be really bad without the insulation and noise is just going to be a battle in a Jeep. I rely mostly on hearing protection, because no matter what you do that wind is going to be loud.

For temperature you're gonna probably want to go multiple solutions or it's gonna be HOT in the summer and cold in the winter.

I need to get bedrug. I have done insulation with the Noiko to keep temp out and then I've got some dense matt lined with mylar too and its helped. I'd like to compare it to the bedrug stuff which looks like a nice product, especially for the back where I haven't lined as much.

I would consider bedrug and heat shield from www.carinsulation.com. The heatshiled is like that foil stuff u get from home depot. But with a foam layer inbetween. Its vary lightweight, comes out easy, and blocks 97% of heat. Bedrug is very thin carpet. And will dry out fast. Although my stock carpet was very thin too. You might just consider stock carpet. But not sure if its still sold.

Even if you just put in a layer of heat shield glued to the bottom of your carpet. It will block some sound too. And will come out easy. Or just cut enough to cover the tunnel. Put it in olace under the carpet with cheap spray adhesive. Just enough to tack it in place. Easy to remove and put back.

Lastly acc makes a less expensive thin carpet called Cutpile. That should dry out as fast as stock. And is very nice carpet. Yhey also offer mass backed versions. Which is like a foam pad that cuts sound.

Check the acc website and request samples as colors do not match on their website. Then buy from rockauto for best price. I would avoid their luxury carpet called Essex. As it is very thick. And wont dry out as fast.

Spray on bedliners dont do much except hold water after a time. And hide rust underneath. And are almost impossible to remove. I would avoid a jeep with bedliner if i were looking to buy. Imho.

At least with carpet, heat shield and mass backing it can be removed easily, dried out and put back in.

Reactions: kmas0n
Stop screwing around with carpet. Get Bedrug and don't look back. I've had it in multiple Jeeps, and even in my full size truck bed for more than 7 years. No more mildew or worries about drying out!

Reactions: Moab
I've owned a number of jeeps over the years (CJ3A, CJ5, CJ7, Commando a couple SJ's and a couple XJ's) and I picked up this sweet 97 last fall. I've been caught in a couple unexpected heavy downpours this year already with the top down. As expected my carpet gets soaked and depending on the weather it has taken some time to dry out. I plan on removing the carpet and applying some sort of liner. Looking for recommendations on what has worked for everyone. Hoping to have at least a little sound deadening as well as ease of application. What have you used? Pros/ cons of doing this?

ThanksView attachment 258445
How could someone not be thrilled with 2.5 yards of Velcro floorcovering.

Welcome to hell sir.

I took my carpet out years ago, it must hold a few gallons of water in an LJ. Don't do any bed liner. It's like pissing in the eye of the next owner. I use 3M anti slip tape at my feet and anywhere else I need traction. It wears like iron. All the bed liners are crap after a few years and really suck if you actually load anything in your Jeep. People that use bedrug probably don't drain water regularly from their Jeep. I don't worry too much about the heat, if you do it's something you should consider.

People that use bedrug probably don't drain water regularly from their Jeep.
I've been using it for years, and don't have to worry about draining it. Soak it up with a towel, when it gets soaked, and let it air dry. No mildew or rust to worry about.

Garaged? How often do you pull your plugs? Everybody has a different deal, anything would cause me issues but I'm sure it's great for you.

ThanksView attachment 258445
For what you are describing, I’d go with BedTred. It’s coarse, but has a backing, can get wet, can be scrubbed and cleaned out. Very durable, kind of like a removable bed liner.