I hate the carpet!

My front carpet got wet during the winter. It rains all the time in this state. I pulled the front driver and passenger carpet and just have quadratech rubber floor mats. I left the rear carpet in cuz I take my dog in it and didn’t want to burn her feet when the top is down.

I was was wondering how it would be in high temps. Last week it was over 100 ambient temp and I honestly did fine. And so did my 14 y/o daughter. We drove around for about six hours with no doors or top. Just the alien shade cover.

it was obviously warm, but it felt more like the outside air, not so much the lack of carpet and the resulting heat from the Jeep.

After that, I’m definitely gonna use monstaliner on the interior and ditch all the carpet. Heat and sound don’t seem nearly as bad as some folks make it out to be.

Obviously you may feel different, but try it and see what you think before making a decision.

For what you are describing, I’d go with BedTred. It’s coarse, but has a backing, can get wet, can be scrubbed and cleaned out. Very durable, kind of like a removable bed liner.
That's what I'm leaning towards as well. Carpet doesn't belong in a Jeep - or a truck for that matter.

Reactions: JMT
My YJ had no carpet, and I always got debris flying up into my eyes. specks of dirt and pieces of leaves mostly.
TJ has carpet, it's nice - but the paint on the floor is starting to wear really thin. I'm probably going to do monstaliner again but keep carpet also. Monstaliner was great in the YJ for years. no chipping or pealing up at all.

I haven’t had carpet in my jeep since 2003. I have a cut down truck bet mat in the back and some thick rubber floor mats up front (can’t remember who makes them since they have also been there since 2003) heat and noise don’t bother me and it takes like 2 min to remove everything thing to hose out the inside and mats

Reactions: Grant Lasson
I have a similar mindset to the OP. I took out the carpet shortly after buying my '05 used in 2007. Put in Walmart-special all-weather floor mat in the front. Sold carpet - needed beer money. Pulled floor plugs at the same time - can't recall if they contributed to the beer fund, too.

Floor mats now have holes in them from the Rokmen sliders' bolts.

I don't mind the noise. Heat is only a problem for me if my bare foot touches the tunnel when I'm in flip-flops...

Tunnel by the gas pedal does need some touch-up paint as my shoe resting against it has worn down to the primer.

Based on suggestions on the forum, I'm eyeing the Bedtred for the rear bed. The muffler and exhaust cook the bed in the right rear. Would like to be able to have the dog in the back at some point down the road. Floor mats in front continue to float my boat.

Reactions: Zorba
I find the process of removing and re-installing the carpet in a TJ to be such a simple process that is is part of my regular cleaning routine. I’ll pull it out and soap/pressure wash it in the driveway several times a year. It helps with the dusty, itchy feel of it.

I herculined mine. I like being able to just hose everything out quickly. It's affordable and as long as you spend the extra time with prep it isn't bad at all to do (just do it in a well ventilated area!)

If my current TJ was a daily I would probably go with BedRug.

I herculined my first TJ as well in college and it was my daily at the time. My only complaint with it was that it was noisier than carpet (although not too bad) and it faded badly over time from the sun. My current one lives in the garage so I don't have the same worries about the sun with this one.

PO took out the rugs and plugs. I've never replaced them. Interior gets warm enough in the winter. I use rubber floor mats to catch crap. When needed, I just pull them out and empty them.

Since I've never driven a TJ with carpet, I can't compare. It's noisy. Hard to imagine a carpet would change that much.

Reactions: FarFire70