I HATE working with plastic split wire loom

…. That is all.

Jeep content…. Mine is black with black tires.

Ha, yes, me too. I learned that if you cut shorter strips, and allow for some gaps in between them, it's a bit easier to work with, and doesn't twist as much. I also used 3M tape to mount it, instead of any kind of glue, and that worked better.

Is this for your reverse light wiring?

Last edited:
I’ve put miles of that on wires in my life. There is no easy way you just get used to it. I’ve seen the wrench trick but it depends on how rigid the loom is.

Its all in the thumb.

But I prefer to give it the finger!

Split loom wouldn't be so bad, but even after you get the wires in there it's still generally useless.

I like spiral wrap better, but it stills sucks to use.
Braided loom looks nice but it sucks to use.

Wait, I sense a pattern developing here.............. all loom sucks.......... apparently.

Screenshot_20211124-163954.png

I sleeved a bunch of wiring on my Sportster with the braided stuff and then heat shrink at the ends of the braid. It looked fantastic, but I had to remove all the connectors and reinsert the pins when I was done because I couldn't find any heat shrink that would fit over the connector and shrink tight around the wires.

Still, worth it for a motorcycle with a simple harness. I probably wouldn't go to the trouble for a full size vehicle.

i can't help but ask, what's wrong with split loom? I've made several custom harnesses and used it for decades. What is giving you trouble? My only trouble is I don't seem to have the right size when I need it.

Reactions: matkal and J.Pierce
i can't help but ask, what's wrong with split loom? I've made several custom harnesses and used it for decades. What is giving you trouble? My only trouble is I don't seem to have the right size when I need it.

I guess there is nothing wrong with it, I was mainly being over dramatic for my own entertainment.

One thing I don't like about it is it doesn't "adjust" for size like spiral wrap or braided.
I also dislike that you have to tape it all up to keep the wire from squirting out the slit when making bends.
Some of it sure seems to get brittle awfully quickly, but that's probably because I ended up with a couple spools of some cheap Chinese stuff though.
It also turns into an abrasive pipe once you get enough sand and fines inside it.

All in all, I'd be willing to bet more miles of wire are run inside split loom than all other styles combined though.

Reactions: MikekiM
couple pieces of plastic tubing ( like ARB or Camozzi hose) of a couple different diameters, slice it down the side so you can get your wires in and you have a 10 cent feeder/spreader.

been using spiral wrap since i get it for nothin, but that's a PITA to work with unless the lines are loose or have room to wrap it 35x .............you can crank it on but risk nicking/slicing a coating if it's a tight wrap.

I am half way through the fog light install and didn't want the bare wires dangling. The run is short enough that the braided probably made more sense.

Spiral wrap might be better for this since I need to join two sets of leads, one from each light. But up front spiral is going to be a trap for all sorts of debris.

Its all in the thumb.
Certainly is the way to go if you don't have that special tool.

Like anything else, there are grades of split loom and the cheaper stuff is almost too flexible.
Ha, yes, me too. I learned that if you cut shorter strips, and allow for some gaps in between them, it's a bit easier to work with, and doesn't twist as much. I also used 3M tape to mount it, instead of any kind of glue, and that worked better.

Is this for your reverse light wiring?
For the long run to the reverse lights I am going to use braided. This was for the front lights.. the Hella 500FF. Braided wouldn't work because I wanted to join the leads from each light from two split looms into one. Split was the way to go. I use zip ties for mounting it.
1/8" 1/4" 1/2".

When split loom isn't necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G5L29C/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I went to three auto parts stores and found no 1/4". Truth told, 1/8 inch would be best for this especially since the run was only from the front bumper to the battery. But I needed to joint two runs together.. how do you do that with braided loom?

My own fault... I couldn't find 1/4 and had a bunch of 3/8 in my parts bin. For two wires 3/8 is far too big and every time I got the wire in the loom it popped out.

I am going to redo it with 1/8" braided.
I also dislike that you have to tape it all up to keep the wire from squirting out the slit when making bends.
^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

Reactions: J.Pierce
Sorry to be dense, but how do you get wires into a braided loom? Just push them through from one end to the other and hope the wire ends don't catch against the side? Or is there some kind of rounded cap that you put on the end of the wire so that it passes through easily?

Sorry to be dense, but how do you get wires into a braided loom? Just push them through from one end to the other and hope the wire ends don't catch against the side? Or is there some kind of rounded cap that you put on the end of the wire so that it passes through easily?
You push it on and it slides over the wires

I wrapped the end of the wire bundle with masking tape just to hold it together. The braided stuff also expands radially when compressed longitudinally, like a braided finger trap of east Asian origin.

Reactions: SSTJ