I have a warranty question

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
I installed your pads about 3 years ago, what kind of warranty do you have?

I don't know how to equate time to mileage. Age is no indication of how many miles something has been used. They tend to run about the same mileage as most performance pads, neither awesome nor terrible. I am however, more than pleased to help you with a discount on another set.

Thank you and I agree age is not an indication and these only have 40,000 miles on them and are due for replacement.

Ok, I'll still honor the discount but I'm trying to wrap my head around the thought process that thinks 40K out of a set of performance pads is a warranty item??

I would not be bending over backwards for someone that got 40k out of your pads. If he wants brake pads that last longer set him up with some normal pads. If he complains about brake performance he now understands the trade off...

i worked at dealerships in a former career, and warranty issues on brakes were always such a pain in the ass. You have a customer come in with a 20k mile vehicle that is still within the 3/36k "bumper to bumper" warranty that needs brake pads, and they expect them to be covered. They're a wear item, and the difference in wear from driver to driver can be profound.

Certain drivers can tear through a set of pads in 10k miles, others can get 75k out of them. I always give my wife shit when I'm riding with her about how she brakes; it's like she's attacking the pit lane on a racetrack, there's no need for it. But, like clockwork, I'm usually replacing front pads on her truck about every 20k miles whereas I get over 50 on a truck that weighs more.

Back to your customer: I think you are going well above and beyond by honoring any sort of warranty on a set of brake pads after 40k miles. The unfortunate thing is that this guy can now take to social media and tear up your operation for it, so in the end it may very well be a smart move to honor his misguided request for warranty coverage.

Reactions: Chris
i worked at dealerships in a former career, and warranty issues on brakes were always such a pain in the ass. You have a customer come in with a 20k mile vehicle that is still within the 3/36k "bumper to bumper" warranty that needs brake pads, and they expect them to be covered. They're a wear item, and the difference in wear from driver to driver can be profound.

It may have changed in recent years but all Chrysler products I have purchased new have the warranty very well defined and wear items like clutches, brake pads and friction linings have historically been 12 months/12,000 miles. That takes driver response out of it and should slow down the bullshit.

Back to your customer: I think you are going well above and beyond by honoring any sort of warranty on a set of brake pads after 40k miles. The unfortunate thing is that this guy can now take to social media and tear up your operation for it, so in the end it may very well be a smart move to honor his misguided request for warranty coverage.
If anyone wants to rip us for lack of warranty at 40K, I'm okay with that as long as he mentions he got 40K out of them. I consider that to be excellent mileage on a JKU.

Reactions: B252 and lowranger
It may have changed in recent years but all Chrysler products I have purchased new have the warranty very well defined and wear items like clutches, brake pads and friction linings have historically been 12 months/12,000 miles. That takes driver response out of it and should slow down the bullshit.

Yeah, well at that point you as the service manager have to use your judgement as to whether or not this person will smoke you on the survey and whether or not you can absorb a "0" for that month. Sometimes it's easier to give away a set of pads than put up with all that nonsense. That's one of the primary reasons I grew to loathe the franchised dealership service model over time.

If anyone wants to rip us for lack of warranty at 40K, I'm okay with that as long as he mentions he got 40K out of them. I consider that to be excellent mileage on a JKU.

that explains it... ask him how many miles he got out of his rear brake pads... when I worked at the dealer rear jku pads typically lasted 30k miles.

Yeah, well at that point you as the service manager have to use your judgement as to whether or not this person will smoke you on the survey and whether or not you can absorb a "0" for that month. Sometimes it's easier to give away a set of pads than put up with all that nonsense. That's one of the primary reasons I grew to loathe the franchised dealership service model over time.
I'm aware of the survey's impact. After awhile it is sorta like eBay who essentially sells customer feedback scores and you get some goods from time to time.

that explains it... ask him how many miles he got out of his rear brake pads... when I worked at the dealer rear jku pads typically lasted 30k miles.
Surefire way of knowing when the brakes are out of balance due to too large of tires. The backs are being asked to do too much braking. We see some folks getting 10K out of the rear pads.

My last 08 Town and country toasted through original brake pads in less than 11,000 miles, the aftermarket ones lasted 38,000. I actually got a rebate back from Chrysler the next year due to them going too quick.

Some guys are just cheap and try to rip off every warranty plan they can ask about. Does your website or documentation give a mileage rating for your brake pads? I suspect not. You may want to more clearly spell out what is ok for replacement and what is not. And if he got 3 years and 40k out of them. I would not be afraid to say no. Let him post something. Everyone will laugh. 3 years and 40k?! Come on!

Reactions: B252
40K out of a set of brake pads is damned good. Asking for this to be covered as a warranty item indicates the person asking is a dick head; no easier way to put it.