I have a garage height problem for storage and I want to go taller

Kaptainkid1

TJ Enthusiast
I have a garage door opening that's 82" tall and my Jeep is 81" currently running 31" tires and I want to go taller but the garage can not be cut to fit a taller garage door. My next option is make the jeep shorter!

1. I have 3.5" lift spring but all the parts except for my 4" springs are not installed. Which would make the jeep 81.5" tall. I need the 1inches so the jeep can just get through the door without hitting. The road is not flat but on a slope.
2. I want to do a body lift 1.25 in.
3. I want to run 35" at some point in the future.
I figured I can storage my Jeep in the garage with the additional mods with 4x Temporary Jeep spare tires.
The goal is to have lowest donuts so I can do my mods and even keep attached a Roof Top Tent which is another 5-8" on top.
I couldn't find any info of the height of the donuts but I'm guessing they are 28" or 26" tall? Anyone know?
I assume this will lower my jeep by 3" to 5"?
Will this work?

20191228_114622(0).jpg
20191228_114626.jpg

20200116_180126.jpg

Last edited:
I
If your garage ceiling is at least a foot taller then your garage door opening then then you might consider a new panel style garage door. You could gain 6" to 8" head clearance judging from the pic.
I dont own the garage and if it was a small mod I would do it but any major changes I'm sure landlord wouldn't approve.

Here is a chart of the tire diameters and want to double check with everyone am I reading this correctly?
145/60 R16 are 3.43" x2 +16" rim = 22.86"? Height of the donut tire?

20200116_183434.jpg

The whole point of the rack and mods is this my weekend rig which lives in garage until its next adventure. The rack stays on because it takes 2 hours and 2 people to install and take off. My weekend trip consists of camping weekend and overland off roading type of stuff. It's just not practical if my rig is apart and not ready to move. 4x Tires swap 1 person and 30 mins max.

Last edited:
What’s the reasoning behind a 31” tall tire a 4” lift?
Jeep came with 31" tires on 15 rims with a 3.5" lift. I found a great deal on a pro-comp 4" lift kit with lower control arms and Springs. Which I needed to upgrade my stock lower control arms and now I have 4" springs to make the Jeep taller. The end result for the Jeep is running 35" tires and the list mods to get there is 4" lift, 1.25 body lift, sye, regearing, lockers and upgraded up front dana 30 HP. So I want my Jeep to stay in the garage so the paint stays good and a safety place to store it.
I live in neighborhood where they would steal my Jeep if its parked on the streets.

My next upgrade will be the upper control arms this weekend.
20200115_220623.jpg

Last edited:
After the 4th or 5th time of changing my tires, my back would be wishing I removed the lights. But I’m an old guy and I think like that. If was still 30, I’d be thinking like you. Go with your gut, no never know until you try!

keep in touch and post pictures of what you come up with. It’s an interesting predicament.

Unless you need the lights in that location for frequent night use, ditch the rack. They don't improve aesthetics one iota, can add annoying wind noise and do inhibit clearance.

Reactions: 06TJ35's
I’d work really hard to get the rack lower rather than have the pain in the ass of changing 4 tires every time I want to drive the Jeep.
Rack is lowered I took off the spacer and if you can see the rack it only has a 2 inches lip before it was 5 inches lip basket.
IMG_20200116_234323.jpg