I have a garage height problem for storage and I want to go taller

I have nothing constructive to add other than to say I feel for you brutha, I practically need a tub of Crisco to squeeze my rig into my abnormally low freak-show of a garage, & I don't even have the roof rack - I think I'm somewhere around 77 inches with a 77.5 inch opening:

IMG_3176.JPG

My first thought was the same as some others... air down the tires, pull in, and reinflate the tires. One additional step... Make a sign to put on your driver seat or steering wheel that says “air down dummy” so you for sure remember to air down before pulling out... unless you intend to try and bring the garage with you 😂

Reactions: Allstar424
One additional step... Make a sign to put on your driver seat or steering wheel that says “air down dummy” so you for sure remember to air down before pulling out... unless you intend to try and bring the garage with you 😂

That's not a bad idea but it's needed before pulling in. It would even work if it had to say "add donuts dummy".

Now I'm hungry after typing that.

• Haha
Reactions: DWR
That's not a bad idea but it's needed before pulling in. It would even work if it had to say "add donuts dummy".

Now I'm hungry after typing that.

Put a sign on the front of the garage door also?

I’m sure your neighbors would be like “WTF is up with this guy?”

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
anything in particular wrong with the combo? i have a similar set up since mine came with a 4 inch lift
Nope nothing wrong with it. Just wanted to know the reasoning given that 4” is not needed to fully cycle suspension on 31” tires. I assumed it was for looks or to gain belly height a cheaper way than tucking the skid.

OP's options are:
1) Air down ridiculously low to get in and out of garage
2) Swap doughnut tires every time
3) Modify roof rack to be lower/closer to hardtop, or ditch roof rack entirely
4) Less suspension lift and high line fenders for bigger tires
5) Don't get bigger tires
6) Move, or offer to build bigger garage
7) Park outside and hire armed security detail

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj and JMT
I
I dont own the garage and if it was a small mod I would do it but any major changes I'm sure landlord wouldn't approve.
I would get a quote to have a new garage door installed. Tell the guy what you want to accomplish with a new door. Then tell the LL that you'll split it with him to upgrade the property. That is the easiest way to get your Jeep in that garage without any mod to your jeep.

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj
I have nothing constructive to add other than to say I feel for you brutha, I practically need a tub of Crisco to squeeze my rig into my abnormally low freak-show of a garage, & I don't even have the roof rack - I think I'm somewhere around 77 inches with a 77.5 inch opening:

View attachment 134904
Looks like you can adjust your door opener to pull the door back a just little more so the end panel is closer to horizontal and above the top Jamb of the opening, and your'll pick up a couple inches

Ok everyone thanks for input. I will go down road with the 4x Donuts swap. I measured the height of the 31" Hankook and it turned out to be 29.5" really not what I expected since it's written on the sidewall 31".
2nd I measured the temporary donut tires 5 lug in my Prius and discover they are 23" tall. Eventhough the donut tire is 6.5" smaller then Jeep 29.5" Tires I will only gain 3.25" drop. For some reason I thought the Jeep would drop the 6.5" but 3.25" is actual gain. (Can any confirm my math?)
So I'm left with 77.75" Jeep height. I know can add the 4" springs to the lift and do my 1.25" body lift. The Jeep will be 79.5". More than enough room for the Jeep to be stored back in the short garage.

Have you looked into cutting your garage header? Father had to raise the door height in one side of the garage to fit a cow hauler. Didn't have the room like you. Had the section over the door cut and replaced with a steel I beam or H beam or something. I was a youngster back then. Anyway, he got something like 6" higher door height. Just cut one of the door panels and stretched it. Moved everything up and he was done. Had to be careful when open the door cause the track ended 6" off the floor and he never raised the bottom wheels. Had the steel 'sideways' from normal to get the most height.

Ok everyone thanks for input. I will go down road with the 4x Donuts swap. I measured the height of the 31" Hankook and it turned out to be 29.5" really not what I expected since it's written on the sidewall 31".
2nd I measured the temporary donut tires 5 lug in my Prius and discover they are 23" tall. Eventhough the donut tire is 6.5" smaller then Jeep 29.5" Tires I will only gain 3.25" drop. For some reason I thought the Jeep would drop the 6.5" but 3.25" is actual gain. (Can any confirm my math?)
So I'm left with 77.75" Jeep height. I know can add the 4" springs to the lift and do my 1.25" body lift. The Jeep will be 79.5". More than enough room for the Jeep to be stored back in the short garage.
Tires rarely measure their stated diameter, Also, with the weight of the jeep on the tires the tire will squish some, so that lowers the overall diameter as well.

If you get a tire that's 1" larger DIAMETER, it will only raise your jeep 1/2" because the hub is in the center of the wheel and only the change in RADIUS from the hub to the ground changes the vehicle height, not overall DIAMETER. Any increase or decrease in overall tire size must be divided in half and that will be your actual gain or loss. Make sense?