I have to brag...

badlieutenant

TJ Addict
Well, not really brag, but I am really impressed by my Jeep Commander Limited HEMI 4X4. For being such a beast of a vehicle with LOTS of oomph, she gets great gas mileage when I drive her gently. She packs the 5.7L HEMI with 357 horsepower and is a full time 4X4 go anywhere bad ass while doing so in comfort. Weighing in at nearly 5,000 pounds and with all that power, I get over 20MPG on the highway.

4191c77a406f238f4c73545de09ec6d8.jpg

Of course, when I smash that gas pedal she will suck down gas like Hillary Clinton sucks the souls out of her victims...

The Jeep commander is the 2nd vehicle on my list for my first car. It just looks badass.

However when I was looking, I never looked for the more expensive ones, like yours, that had this kind of MPG! That's crazy.

The Jeep commander is the 2nd vehicle on my list for my first car. It just looks badass.

However when I was looking, I never looked for the more expensive ones, like yours, that had this kind of MPG! That's crazy.

The HEMI in the 2009 (I think) and 2010 models (mine) has the newer HEMI that cuts down to 4 cylinders (to put it simply) when cruising around in the city or on the highway. The transition from 4 to all 8 cylinders is seamless and unless you're paying really close attention to the feeling you won't notice a difference. The V8 HEMI allegedly gets only 1 MPG less than the 4.7 PowerTech V8 so opting for the HEMI is a no brainer... and I really don't believe the 1 MPG difference as the 4.7 doesn't have the VVT that cuts itself down to 4 cylinders when just cruising. The full time 4X4 option also causes the loss of 1 MPG. Going with the loaded Limited 4X4 HEMI is the only way to go. I'd also highly recommend only getting the 2009 or 2010 year models as the 2006-2008 seem to have lots of kinks that were worked out in the 09/10 models.

Oh, and the VES rear entertainment system is amazing, especially for your third row seat passengers. The Commander has theatre style seating, as the middle row is a little higher than the front and the third row is a little higher than the middle. It's hidden from the outside by a cleverly placed roof rack. I also recommend getting sky view package.

e9871d85a3a1610a73c80768452bbca4.jpg

Reactions: StG58
That's literally the badass version of a suburban. That is absolutely awesome.........

If I needed one, then I would get the same one that you had!

How does the Hemi feel when on all 8 cylinders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Odyssey does that cylinder cut thing as well. When you drive it slow it cuts it from 6 cylinders to 3 cylinders for improved gas mileage.

Reactions: Kyle_W
Here she is from when I bought her from the Jeep dealer... she came with the Chrysler Certified Preowned Bumper to Bumper warranty. After it expired I bought an additional Bumper to Bumper warranty that will last till she hits like 140k miles/5 years.

fa046a367116ec5caa2ad423c67c03a2.jpg

95d55b63dfbd36ab83fbbabd20b34b02.jpg

ff7298a51ee7fce2a70720ecb314b974.jpg

2466d64205965ae2f1c1b075b7f474b4.jpg

ecc69661957a1c4263adc929bf50e216.jpg

cb8c29e4dc3881a7cde89605edfade07.jpg

fe63e7ff9217a9bd5fcc25201f2a64e1.jpg

I believe I have the very last Jeep Commander to still be covered under a legit Chrysler/Jeep warranty in the USA.

If I didn't have a view of the grill, it almost looks like a bad-ass Mercedes. Love the Hemi! My 2014 has 395hp, 8-speed, and 3.92 axles. Gets the same MPG as the 4-cyl 120hp TJ on the highway.

That's literally the badass version of a suburban. That is absolutely awesome.........

If I needed one, then I would get the same one that you had!

How does the Hemi feel when on all 8 cylinders?

Beast mode! When I punch it, it goes from 0 to 100 in no time. She's not a sports car by any means but as far as an SUV goes, for the price, you get a lot of bang for your buck. I believe I paid about $26k a couple years ago with like 40k miles. Much like my LJR, my Commander is the last year model and actually pretty hard to find with all the options. There seem to be lots of older year models for sale and they are rarely fully loaded. If you can find a 2009 Overland edition or a 2010 Limited HEMI 4x4 that are in good shape, if you really want one, I'd jump on it.

Did I mention it has 4-LO as well? :)

Without a doubt that's a really sweet vehicle! I guess they are inexpensive because they just aren't popular? People like the suburban more I guess.

I always thought the Commander looked like the XJ Cherokee. It's really close.

What are drivetrain specs on that thing? Rear axle? Aftermarket support.

I might add this to my search list. :D

The commander is a really great vehicle. I've owned 2 already(1 rwd and 1 4wd.) There is 3 different models. The base model has a 3.7L V6 that comes with 2wd and 4wd but does not have 4lo its 4wd system is called quatratrac1. That's the one I have and does great as a daily driver, not very much get up and go but it does alright. Then they have a 4.7L V8 also comes in 2wd or 4wd and some of them have the option of 4lo. Can have both quatratrac1 or quatratrac2. Then there's the limited/overland. It's the best of the best. They come with the 5.7L hemi and the quatradrive2 4wd system. It's an amazing system, it's very similar to electronic lockers.
I've seen one guy with a limited commander with 2.5 inch lift and 32 inch tires go up trails a jk rubi on 35s couldn't make.

Oh and the aftermarket support is very little. There is only 1 company that makes aftermarket bumpers for it. And like 2 or 3 companies that other parts for them.

This was my old commander. Loved it but only 2wd.
photo (4).JPG

Here is my current one. It's the 6th anniversary which is pretty much the base model 4wd.
received_1728680444050738.jpeg

And I must add. I love commanders, they are amazing vehicles and pretty rare, and with just a small lift and larger tires they are amazing offroad.

The commander is a really great vehicle. I've owned 2 already(1 rwd and 1 4wd.) There is 3 different models. The base model has a 3.7L V6 that comes with 2wd and 4wd but does not have 4lo its 4wd system is called quatratrac1. That's the one I have and does great as a daily driver, not very much get up and go but it does alright. Then they have a 4.7L V8 also comes in 2wd or 4wd and some of them have the option of 4lo. Can have both quatratrac1 or quatratrac2. Then there's the limited/overland. It's the best of the best. They come with the 5.7L hemi and the quatradrive2 4wd system. It's an amazing system, it's very similar to electronic lockers.
I've seen one guy with a limited commander with 2.5 inch lift and 32 inch tires go up trails a jk rubi on 35s couldn't make.

Oh and the aftermarket support is very little. There is only 1 company that makes aftermarket bumpers for it. And like 2 or 3 companies that other parts for them.

This was my old commander. Loved it but only 2wd.
View attachment 8324

Here is my current one. It's the 6th anniversary which is pretty much the base model 4wd.
View attachment 8325

And I must add. I love commanders, they are amazing vehicles and pretty rare, and with just a small lift and larger tires they are amazing offroad.

Is there a decent looking winch bumper available?

Oh...not my style. It's too bulky and big. I wonder if Detour's USA can fab up on that integrates into the factory bumper like my XJ's setup.

I like a clean factory-ish look.

DSCF6630.jpg

Reactions: Reign Mack
I just want a brush guard up front and a leveling kit. The front end of the stock Commander has a "leaning forward" stance. They make a really cheap kit that levels out the front by lifting it like an inch.

In all seriousness, the Commander is the perfect alternative to a Tahoe or a minivan. It is not as roomy inside as a Tahoe but it does have three rows of seats, although I wouldn't recommend putting any adults in that third row. It's made for kids or midgets. It's a very heavy vehicle but you can't really tell when driving around. It feels nice and stable.

When I get in the Commander after driving the LJR, I always chuckle at the huge difference.

If you want a 2010, you'll have to hunt for it. I read somewhere that very few were made and sold in 2010. The current Jeep CEO bashed the Commander, but he's a douchebag that let Jeep build the Renegade (LOL WTF).

Mine has QT2 and not the electronic locker version QD2. Check out the difference between QT2 vs QD2.

Here's a video demonstrating the awesomeness of QD2:

I didn't bother hunting for one with QD2 because QT2 is plenty awesome, especially considering I don't ever plan on taking her out on any sort of off-roading other than basic trail riding.

Here's a funny video of a Commander at Golden Crack:

QT2 is plenty capable and you can add real lockers, which are better than what QDII offers.

I just want a brush guard up front and a leveling kit. The front end of the stock Commander has a "leaning forward" stance. They make a really cheap kit that levels out the front by lifting it like an inch.

In all seriousness, the Commander is the perfect alternative to a Tahoe or a minivan. It is not as roomy inside as a Tahoe but it does have three rows of seats, although I wouldn't recommend putting any adults in that third row. It's made for kids or midgets. It's a very heavy vehicle but you can't really tell when driving around. It feels nice and stable.

When I get in the Commander after driving the LJR, I always chuckle at the huge difference.

If you want a 2010, you'll have to hunt for it. I read somewhere that very few were made and sold in 2010. The current Jeep CEO bashed the Commander, but he's a douchebag that let Jeep build the Renegade (LOL WTF).

Mine has QT2 and not the electronic locker version QD2. Check out the difference between QT2 vs QD2.

Here's a video demonstrating the awesomeness of QD2:

I didn't bother hunting for one with QD2 because QT2 is plenty awesome, especially considering I don't ever plan on taking her out on any sort of off-roading other than basic trail riding.

Here's a funny video of a Commander at Golden Crack:

QT2 is plenty capable and you can add real lockers, which are better than what QDII offers.
This guy is my idol when it comes to commanders. He has 3.5 inch lift on 35s and has no rubbing, does have major trimming and "massaging" lol. Also it's only a 4.7L with a rear lunch box locker and the front diff from the qd2 with the locker wired to a toggle.
FB_IMG_1482089198144.jpg
FB_IMG_1482089260124.jpg

Nice rigs, too nice to off road around here. Sure like the looks of them though. The Overland package is highly sought after in the expedition community, for those that want to run a Jeep that is. I overland a 3/4 ton Suburban with with a 454 and one ton running gear. Not as nice as the Commander, but it works.