I hope you future JL owners have a lot of money...

i'm not talking about hunting. i'm more concerned about being told what guns i can carry and the capacity they can have.
X2. Shall not be infringed is pretty simple language to understand. I should be able to have and defend myself and family with equal munitions as those who might come against me. Limits on what I can carry or how many bullets I can carry in it simply limit my right to self defense - and criminals don’t abide by the law, do they?

Reactions: Tj04 and Chris
X2. Shall not be infringed is pretty simple language to understand. I should be able to have and defend myself and family with equal munitions as those who might come against me. Limits on what I can carry or how many bullets I can carry in it simply limit my right to self defense - and criminals don’t abide by the law, do they?
They sure don't! When guns are outlawed....only outlaws will have guns.

I will have my house paid off in 3-4 years from now. To be mortgage free at 46 is going to be a huge relief for me and my family. Gives me a few years to get money set aside for college for my Kids. My goal is to try and get all 3 of them thru college without them needing to take on debt.
I think you're right on. I was unemployed for a year and thankfully had some cash sent aside. Single dad. The kids never noticed a thing.People always told me to watch out as the years would fly by so fast. They did , but there were some damned long days. Fast years, some long days. Got through them paid everything off and retired early. Bought a jeep. Dave Ramsey is popular here in Canada. So you are making some great choices that will pay off for everyone around you. Nicely played.

Reactions: UpperMI
I think you're right on. I was unemployed for a year and thankfully had some cash sent aside. Single dad. The kids never noticed a thing.People always told me to watch out as the years would fly by so fast. They did , but there were some damned long days. Fast years, some long days. Got through them paid everything off and retired early. Bought a jeep. Dave Ramsey is popular here in Canada. So you are making some great choices that will pay off for everyone around you. Nicely played.

Thank you for the kind words. My parents scrimped and saved so I could get through college without any debt. Their generosity gave me a lot of choices after graduation and allowed me to start off life on the right foot. Which in turn allowed me to buy a new tj off the dealers lot in July of 2002. I’m trying like hell to do the same for my 3 kids so they can get started off right in life.

And congrats on retiring early. Time is the most presious asset we have. I hope you take the time to enjoy them in your jeep.

Reactions: Chris
College is such a burden. Kudos to you @UpperMI for helping the kids as much as you can. I consider myself lucky only graduating with 10K in debt. My folks were buying a business at the time, so there wasn't a lot extra that they could help with. I worked my butt off, got some scholarships and essentially lived for free because of it. I got my engineering degree and started making REAL money, right away.

Now I hear about kids going to school, incurring 100K in debt and getting jobs making 30 grand a year in something unrelated to their field of study. Its asinine. I blame the government for most of it...Pushing college on EVERYONE in high school, then making loans too easy to get.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is from Caddyshack..."The world needs ditch diggers too, Danny." Now, in that context, its meant as an insult, but in my field Skilled tradesmen are VERY difficult to come by, let alone good ones. The world DOES need ditchdiggers, Plumbers, Machinists, Mechanics, etc. I could probably name 10 people I went to high school with who were smart, but not "college" people. They would have been SO much father ahead picking up a trade rather than starting college, dropping out and working whatever job they can get. Worse are those poor saps that "stuck it out" to earn a degree they cannot or do not want to use and they are saddled with debt.

I have two female friends, one with a Bachelors and the other with a Masters. They are both in their mid 30's paying off student loan debt, and are stay at home moms. What a waste (imho). Good on them that they have supportive husbands and they can afford to stay home with the kids, but my goodness...

Reactions: Chris and UpperMI
College is such a burden. Kudos to you @UpperMI for helping the kids as much as you can. I consider myself lucky only graduating with 10K in debt. My folks were buying a business at the time, so there wasn't a lot extra that they could help with. I worked my butt off, got some scholarships and essentially lived for free because of it. I got my engineering degree and started making REAL money, right away.

Now I hear about kids going to school, incurring 100K in debt and getting jobs making 30 grand a year in something unrelated to their field of study. Its asinine. I blame the government for most of it...Pushing college on EVERYONE in high school, then making loans too easy to get.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is from Caddyshack..."The world needs ditch diggers too, Danny." Now, in that context, its meant as an insult, but in my field Skilled tradesmen are VERY difficult to come by, let alone good ones. The world DOES need ditchdiggers, Plumbers, Machinists, Mechanics, etc. I could probably name 10 people I went to high school with who were smart, but not "college" people. They would have been SO much father ahead picking up a trade rather than starting college, dropping out and working whatever job they can get. Worse are those poor saps that "stuck it out" to earn a degree they cannot or do not want to use and they are saddled with debt.

I have two female friends, one with a Bachelors and the other with a Masters. They are both in their mid 30's paying off student loan debt, and are stay at home moms. What a waste (imho). Good on them that they have supportive husbands and they can afford to stay home with the kids, but my goodness...

I work with 20 talented people from the Trades (milwrights, machinists, pipefitters and electricians). I can’t express how much harder it is to find good young talent. The trades are a great way to go in life. Outstanding pay and benefits and plenty of work on the horizon. I agree, a college degree is not a be all end all.

Just for shits and giggles specked out a Stingray JLUR on jeep.com and holy crap I was at 47k with barely any add ons. Wow it's beautiful but damn that's a bit much lol

I’ve done the same thing. Tried 2 door and the4 door version. I’m
Anywhere from 46k - 54k. It’s fun but I think I’ll wait a couple years for jeep to get the bugs out, the diesel to be released and maybe even the pickup version. That kind of money is too
Much for a Jeep.

I work with 20 talented people from the Trades (milwrights, machinists, pipefitters and electricians). I can’t express how much harder it is to find good young talent. The trades are a great way to go in life. Outstanding pay and benefits and plenty of work on the horizon. I agree, a college degree is not a be all end all.
I have been a plumber for going on 20 years. Never regretted the hard work, and looong days and nights I've had to put in, I make a decent living at it and had no "student" debt to deal with, thanks to the apprenticeship program. But nowadays, none of these younger people want to get into the trades, it's too hard of work for them!
I bought one new vehicle in my life, a 2001 Toyota Tundra and I still have it with only 64,000 miles on it. Another perk of being in the trades, a company van to drive!

Reactions: UpperMI
I have been a plumber for going on 20 years. Never regretted the hard work, and looong days and nights I've had to put in, I make a decent living at it and had no "student" debt to deal with, thanks to the apprenticeship program. But nowadays, none of these younger people want to get into the trades, it's too hard of work for them!
I bought one new vehicle in my life, a 2001 Toyota Tundra and I still have it with only 64,000 miles on it. Another perk of being in the trades, a company van to drive!
I agree 100% with what you are saying about the hard work....but it's amazing what a little piece of paper that costs you 50k will do for you and you family for many years to come.

Just for shits and giggles specked out a Stingray JLUR on jeep.com and holy crap I was at 47k with barely any add ons. Wow it's beautiful but damn that's a bit much lol

Well, it's probably market pricing for similar vehicles, however.....

As an enthusiast, I wouldn't be happy with a standard vehicle. So that means new suspension, wheels and tyres, front and rear bars etc. Part of the reason for keeping the TJ and upgrading it is the quality of aftermarket parts available. I just don't see that either JK or JL are that large a leap forward, especially when comparing modified TJ with modified JK/JL vehicles.

Start drilling down the numbers and keeping a now well depreciated TJ, and spending another $5-7k on it is fairly prudent financially (that would be depreciation on JL year one). and keeps you away from the Dealer servicing/Depreciation/Dealer warranty hassles.

Those savings I can funnel into a camper trailer or a new sports car. For me, I walk another path than most who's status revolves around having the latest model vehicle in the driveway, even though my accountant would prefer I just lease a new car every 3-4 years.

I agree 100% with what you are saying about the hard work....but it's amazing what a little piece of paper that costs you 50k will do for you and you family for many years to come.
It can, if its the "right" piece of paper. There are a lot of degrees that aren't worth the paper they are printed on, let alone 50-75K

Reactions: Starrs
It can, if its the "right" piece of paper. There are a lot of degrees that aren't worth the paper they are printed on, let alone 50-75K
No disagreeing with you at all. I have seen it both ways. My GFs sister has a very expensive piece of paper and she is in social work, so in that case it is not worth it.

I am not sure what kind of "piece of paper" you get for only 50-75K after 4 years??? My son is in a state school and it is going to be over a 100K for 4 years. I also agree kids nowadays won't even look at the trades as a valuable possibility......

I am not sure what kind of "piece of paper" you get for only 50-75K after 4 years??? My son is in a state school and it is going to be over a 100K for 4 years. I also agree kids nowadays won't even look at the trades as a valuable possibility......
I went to a school in IN and I didn't pay 100k. I said 50k as a mean. My point is that an education from a college opens the door for A ton of opportunity if you go into the right field. That's all I was getting at.

i'm not talking about hunting. i'm more concerned about being told what guns i can carry and the capacity they can have.
A lot of classic older guns too like FALs, 10 round limit and mag can't drop out like it should. I'll never live in California. Fix the gun laws I'll consider it. Not to mention the fact that California basically refuses any carry permit whether resident or non resisdent. And only being able to purchase certain "California approved pistols"? Ridiculous.

And about the JL, I hope anyone that gets them likes them. I Don't really like them much but they are cool. The idea that the a pillar stays when folding windshield confuses me. But the JL has made the JK more appealing *Gasp*. the crawl ratio is neat for the JL stock but I still want to see this thing beaten on and torture tested. That minivan engine's peak torque at something like 5000 rpms is disappointing, and the amazingly well placed air intake just asking to be hydrolocked.

Glad they didn't streamline the wrangler much vs the Cherokee!

Last edited:
Or if you don't want to be part of "corporate" America and worry about downsizing and having your job relocated to Mexico. Being in the trades, I don't necessarily have to worry about either.

Reactions: MikeM and Tj04