I just can't escape the angry bird grille

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: psrivats
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
You and me both. I feel guilty by association just for owning a Wrangler :ROFLMAO:

Generally I'm not bothered by much, but for whatever reason or another these grilles just grind my gears :LOL:

Absolutely!
The people who have these think they look good and bad ass. When in reality they are the laughingstock of the Jeep world. Which then by default. They make Jeeps the laughingstock of the offroad world. They make us normal Jeep folks look bad.

Reactions: Chris
Reminds me of the Fire Chicken rage

Pontiac_Firebird_TransAm_400_Gen2_000_1977-1979_hood_emblem_2012-04-01_A.jpg

I had one of them in 1976, first thing I did was peel it off.

• Haha
Absolutely!
The people who have these think they look good and bad ass. When in reality they are the laughingstock of the Jeep world. Which then by default. They make Jeeps the laughingstock of the offroad world. They make us normal Jeep folks look bad.

Not many people care (I should say most are indifferent to them).

Read much Shakespeare, "the lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Last edited:
Chris,
Really no different than everyone putting lift kits and/or bigger wheel/tires,bumpers with huge winches and stuff like that. Because you know at lest half if not 75% of ones that do will never use them for intended purposes but merely for looks to fit their tastes or to be accepted by others as being cool. Same as the angry grille, they like it so whats the biggie?

And I know for a fact that there are plenty of people out there laughing at you also saying to themselves look at that grown ass man playing with kids toys(RC stuff) not everyone of course because there are plenty of US (myself included cars,trucks,bikes,planes,drones,boats 1/18-1/5) doing it but no different really than all of the angry grilles out there.
Just for looks, and for the ones who say it takes away from Jeep because it didn't come like that. Well I may be wrong and I'm sure plenty will chime in to tell me so but, I don't think Jeeps came off assembly line all jacked up with huge wheels/tires, snorkels,big stinger bumpers,d-rings big enough to tow a train,hi lifts mounted on hood etc. Because all of that changes the look of the original Jeep as it came from factory so no different than the headlights IMO. It's just headlights and grille maybe. 🙄

I had one of them in 1976, first thing I did was peel it off.

But whoever doesn't like the Trans Am "Screaming Chicken " is simply un-american.

Oh Canadian I see. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Travis
Chris,
Really no different than everyone putting lift kits and/or bigger wheel/tires,bumpers with huge winches and stuff like that. Because you know at lest half if not 75% of ones that do will never use them for intended purposes but merely for looks to fit their tastes or to be accepted by others as being cool. Same as the angry grille, they like it so whats the biggie?

And I know for a fact that there are plenty of people out there laughing at you also saying to themselves look at that grown ass man playing with kids toys(RC stuff) not everyone of course because there are plenty of US (myself included cars,trucks,bikes,planes,drones,boats 1/18-1/5) doing it but no different really than all of the angry grilles out there.
Just for looks, and for the ones who say it takes away from Jeep because it didn't come like that. Well I may be wrong and I'm sure plenty will chime in to tell me so but, I don't think Jeeps came off assembly line all jacked up with huge wheels/tires, snorkels,big stinger bumpers,d-rings big enough to tow a train,hi lifts mounted on hood etc. Because all of that changes the look of the original Jeep as it came from factory so no different than the headlights IMO. It's just headlights and grille maybe. [emoji849]

But whoever doesn't like the Trans Am "Screaming Chicken " is simply un-american.

Oh Canadian I see. :ROFLMAO:

This guy obviously has one of them unibrow grills.
But same as Chris. I’m into RCs as well. The hobby quality ones. Not the kid ones like you mentioned.
With your comparison to lift, wheels, tires etc to these hipster grills doesn’t work. All that looks good. The grills don’t. They look ridiculous. No different than the big spoilers on rice burner civics. Jeeps are becoming the next rice burner. Between the hipster grills, the rainbow underglow and tacky peel-n-stick accessories. The Jeep world is becoming a sad place.

I can’t WAIT for the day that this hideous hipster fad ends.

Angry faced aftermarket Jeep aren't a hipster fad. A tear drop trailer behind an early Bronco or Scout converted to used cooking oil diesel is hipster. And they would want the rig to look friendly.

Angry faced aftermarket Jeep aren't a hipster fad. A tear drop trailer behind an early Bronco or Scout converted to used cooking oil diesel is hipster. And they would want the rig to look friendly.

Oh no lol. It’s a hipster trend. It’s part of the new Jeep owner 101 kit.
Hipster grill
Color changing headlights
Rainbow underglow (errr, “rock lights”)
Those ugly shitybilt pocket JK fenders. Or any other eBay special fenders.
A $50 amazon 50” light bar.
Then to top it all off. A custom decal for the hood with whatever ridiculous name they come up for their Jeep. Zombie response, Zombicon, bat woman, Waldo, Storm trooper (how original), Vader, yellow jacket, slimmer. And so on.

Oh no lol. It’s a hipster trend. It’s part of the new Jeep owner 101 kit.
Hipster grill
Color changing headlights
Rainbow underglow (errr, “rock lights”)
Those ugly shitybilt pocket JK fenders. Or any other eBay special fenders.
A $50 amazon 50” light bar.
Then to top it all off. A custom decal for the hood with whatever ridiculous name they come up for their Jeep. Zombie response, Zombicon, bat woman, Waldo, Storm trooper (how original), Vader, yellow jacket, slimmer. And so on.

As someone with hipster tendencies, very little of that is hipster. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Powdermonkey
I dont like the angry bird stuff, but to each their own. I like the chrome on my Jeep, but I know others think it's terrible.

I'm not sure hipster is the right word for any of this, though.

Also, fire chicken, I'm with the guy above that said its unamerican to dislike it. 😛

I can’t agree more. I think the argument about lifts, winches, etc is invalid as they fit into a different category. Mods. While it cAn be argued that an AB grill is a mod, I feel that it is fundamentally different. The AB grill covers the 7 slots. The 7 slots are essentially a trademark... a logo..... a representation of the Jeep brand. It’s the equivalent of buying a Mercedes, bmw, etc and covering the front hood ornament with duct tape.

Has anyone ever had something they saw where just the sight of it bothers them deeply? For me it used to be Kathy Griffin... that is, until the angry bird grill and all it’s offspring came along.

I can’t explain it, nor will I attempt to. I will just say that the sight of it alone makes me cringe.

Still, if anyone wants to run them, that’s your choice. I can’t help that I am so bothered by it.

Reactions: Fixer6 and TJ_2000
This guy obviously has one of them unibrow grills.
But same as Chris. I’m into RCs as well. The hobby quality ones. Not the kid ones like you mentioned.
With your comparison to lift, wheels, tires etc to these hipster grills doesn’t work. All that looks good. The grills don’t. They look ridiculous. No different than the big spoilers on rice burner civics. Jeeps are becoming the next rice burner. Between the hipster, the rainbow underglow and tacky peel-n-stick accessories. The Jeep world is becoming a sad place.

Nope, no unibrow grille Skippy. But I will sure look into one just so you won't get bored and have something to post about. And I guess I offended you by saying kids toys as a lot of people that aren't into rc refer to them as. I'm sorry, didn't know you bought yours at the Adult only Radio Control Specialty Equipment shop. Last time I looked you can buy cheap stuff at most if not all the same places you buy the higher end rc vehicles/parts also. Because you know what? I have a few of those different scale 1/18=1/5 scale TOYS that have a few hundred dollars into each one and some that have a few thousand dollars in each one but in the end they are still just a toy.

All that looks good. The grills don’t. They look ridiculous.

Really? According to who? You?Chris? Me? Maybe everyone just needs to convert to Amish or Mennonite where everybody dresses the same and all the buggies look the same that way can say nothing about anyone else because we'd all look the same. Individuality, ever heard of it? And if jeeps are becoming the next rice burner you better sell fast and get out before people start talking about you/yours for something. Well just don't paint it because it gives the kids something to look for while riding in car. They get to holler BINGO when they see the yellow go by or sitting in a parking lot somewhere. :ROFLMAO:

In the end it's just a GRILLE (spelled correctly) not grill which I'm warming up now for some steaks. ;) that evidently the owner likes that no one is forcing you or anyone to put on their jeep so why does it get so many peoples panties all up in a wad?

I can’t agree more. I think the argument about lifts, winches, etc is invalid as they fit into a different category. Mods. While it cAn be argued that an AB grill is a mod, I feel that it is fundamentally different. The AB grill covers the 7 slots. The 7 slots are essentially a trademark... a logo..... a representation of the Jeep brand. It’s the equivalent of buying a Mercedes, bmw, etc and covering the front hood ornament with duct tape.

Let’s also not forget that with a lift you gain up travel. That has more benefits than just off roading purposes.

As far as winches go, I’ve maybe only used the ones I’ve owned a handful of times. However, it’s nice knowing it’s there just Incase you need to help yourself out or someone else.