I Just Scored The Deal Of The Century - My Second "TJ" - A 2006 LJ

sometimes the deals seem to good to be true, and it seems impossible that we get the luck of the draw in those situations, but it does happen! Congrats and what a great find!

It's just one of those opportunities like the lottery.
You just KNOW it's not going to happen, and the absolute shock-factor that follows is overwhelming. :LOL:

Sahara was swapped from NV3550 to an AX15.
It's got Dana 30 Front/Dana 44 Rear.
4.88 ratio w/ ARB Lockers.

LJ is ALSO Dana 30 Front/Dana 44 Rear, and has the 6-Speed NSG370.
Just factory differentials, with "Trac-Lok" (which to my understanding is dogshit for actual offroad usage), and factory 3.73 gearing.

See now why it's tempting? :ROFLMAO:

My absolute ONLY hangup is how unbelievably clean this LJ is.
My Sahara is super clean, and STILL the axles would look out of place underneath the LJ.

BUT, the temptation to rip them apart and swap everything over IS there.

I'm wanting to go 35's minimum on the LJ. 37's would be nice, but not sure i'm ready to deal with the issues that large of a tire could bring.

4.88 would be perfect for 35’s and the NSG370. I’d swap axles and clean up the Sahara ones in the process. You’ll be set!

LMAO.

I won't be needing one anytime soon.
She didn't peep a single word when I said "C'mon, we're going to buy another jeep".

Just looked at me weird, and drove to pick it up. :ROFLMAO:

did she not assume you were selling the white one? Because you don't need that sort of negativity in your life.

• Haha
Reactions: Rickyd
4.88 would be perfect for 35’s and the NSG370. I’d swap axles and clean up the Sahara ones in the process. You’ll be set!

That's my thought process as well, pull them, paint them, throw them in.

My only concern is will that kill value on the sale of the Sahara, because I do NOT plan to swap wheels/tires.

Just wondering if "4.88's and ARB Lockers" are any sort of additional selling point to get me what I want out of it, or would I be shooting myself in the foot.

My only concern is will that kill value on the sale of the Sahara, because I do NOT plan to swap wheels/tires.

Just wondering if "4.88's and ARB Lockers" are any sort of additional selling point to get me what I want out of it, or would I be shooting myself in the foot.

It may kill value a little but not enough for the next set of gears and arb’s you’ll be putting in, unless you did it yourself. I would swap it over.

Honestly, even the money you'll lose isn't really lost. Your going to be keeping the axles you invested a bunch of money into, plus got such a good deal on the LJ that it doesn't really matter if you lose a bit on the Sahara.

Congratulations by the way! I love the look of your Sahara, I'll be sad to see it go.

Ultimately it will be sold.
Not sure what all - if anything - I want to transfer over.

I learned a lot along the way of my wants/needs in the platform, so i'm itching to do things a little bit differently on the LJ.

My main concern at the moment is that I JUST had the axles re-geared to 4.88's with ARB air lockers on the Sahara.
Literally 162 miles ago...

So i'm at a standstill at the idea of swapping axles over, or do I just take that loss and re-gear/lock the LJ as it's own.

Would absolutely pull the axles and swap them over.

I agree with the others. It will cost you more to regear again than you’d lose on the Sahara. Most people don’t regear and besides, if you straight swapped the Sahara would be on stock wheels and tires. It wouldn’t need more than 3.73’s. You wouldn’t lose anything. 4.88’s on a stock Sahara wouldn’t be desirable.

In your original build thread I think I commented how similar our stories are with respect to getting into Jeep ownership after moving to Colorado Springs, buying a Sahara, etc. And it continues. I'd originally wanted an LJ, they were too expensive, so I drove and built a Sahara until I found a good deal on the most stock, six speed, flame red LJ I could find, literally a month after regearing my Sahara to 4.88.

Only mine wasn't as stock (basic 2" lift and some JK takeoff wheels and tires), didn't have the soft top and I paid almost 3x as much. 😒

Fwiw, I swapped my build over and sold the Sahara with a 2" lift, 3.73s and 31s.

Congratulations, man.

Reactions: JMT
In your original build thread I think I commented how similar our stories are with respect to getting into Jeep ownership after moving to Colorado Springs, buying a Sahara, etc. And it continues. I'd originally wanted an LJ, they were too expensive, so I drove and built a Sahara until I found a good deal on the most stock, six speed, flame red LJ I could find, literally a month after regearing my Sahara to 4.88.

Only mine wasn't as stock (basic 2" lift and some JK takeoff wheels and tires), didn't have the soft top and I paid almost 3x as much. 😒

Fwiw, I swapped my build over and sold the Sahara with a 2" lift, 3.73s and 31s.

Congratulations, man.

It may just be the prerequisite to owning a 6 speed flame red LJ is having a Sahara previously. Makes 3 of us.

Congrats OP, it looks super nice!

Congratulations on the beautiful unmolested well maintained LJ . We have really enjoyed ours over the years , but we did have to pay a little more than $5500 for ours 🤠
The extra room in the LJ is wonderful . It gives us room for the chainsaw box , recovery gear , medical kit , ice chest and other stuff while out on the trails . It also makes a nice grocery getter .

Reactions: Shank
Congrats man! What a score! And you should definitely swap the axles. While they are out, clean and paint them, and they'll look great under the LJ.

That's amazing. I've found some really good deals but that one takes the cake. The 200k miles wouldn't scare me a bit, but also I think somebody determined the other day that towed miles don't go on the odometer so if that's true it has 200k driving miles plus a zillion rolling miles. Not that any of that would scare me away anyway.

You are correct. Speedo sender is electric, no electric, no mile reading. Flat tow is done with the key to the first click to unlock the steering wheel which doesn't power up anything.