I learned to drive in this Jeep, how about you?

IJK

TJ Enthusiast
This the Jeep I first learned to drive, it is a 1953 CJ3 with a Brede snow blower conversion. The thing was a beast, you couldn't turn the steering unless you were moving, it had 18 speeds forward. You had to drive with the windows down or it would gas you. The engine that drove the blower was a F-head just like the CJ3. The combo worked great in light fluffy snow but in wet snow it just didn't have the power needed.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 9.16.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 9.17.19 AM.png

This the Jeep I first learned to drive, it is a 1953 CJ3 with a Brede snow blower conversion. The thing was a beast, you couldn't turn the steering unless you were moving, it had 18 speeds forward. You had to drive with the windows down or it would gas you. The engine that drove the blower was a F-head just like the CJ3. The combo worked great in light fluffy snow but in wet snow it just didn't have the power needed.

View attachment 356497

View attachment 356498

that thing looks like a beast.

Reactions: John Cooper and IJK

View attachment 356497

View attachment 356498

Awesome. I learned to drive stick in dads CJ. I learned to drive on the roads in my grandads K10. I’m a lucky one!

I started on tractors or a 60s pickup I was young so I'm not certain which.

The truck was a 4 speed manual with no power steering, no power brakes (4 wheel drum), and a gas tank behind the seat in the cab.

The all steel dash was there to catch you in an accident until dad added lap belts in the late 70s. The AC was floor and window vents.

Dad taught me to drive in 1970 (12 yrs. old) in his new Toyota HiLux P/U. It cost just under $2,000 new.
He disconnected the throttle cable from the carb. and I learned about clutch control before accelerating and shifting gears.
He also taught me how to backup our little travel trailer using only the mirrors. Later in life, getting a CDL was a breeze.

Suzuki LJ80. These were only available in Hawaii. 41HP, 800cc engine. About the size of a Smart car. My dad brought this one back to the mainland around 1981 or so. It was "my" vehicle in high school.

SUZUKI.jpg

Last edited:
My dad wasn't a jeep guy, so I learned to drive in the truck that couldn't have better illustrated the mid 90s aesthetic: a 1994 Ford Ranger "Splash", 4wd, 4.0 V6 and a 5 speed manual transmission.

1663808664250.png

Ours was actually the extended cab with the inward facing jump seats, but quality photos of these bad boys aren't easy to come by on the internet in 2022.

Reactions: ColoJeep
My first Jeep experience was when I was about 8, my father was a shop teacher and one of his students had a yellow CJ, I would guess it to be early ‘70s. The guy brought it out and drove it around the farm with us kids all the time. When I got my drivers license I had a ‘78 F100 stepside which started out with a 300 straight 6 that would not maintain oil pressure going down a hill or at idle, we got a 302 V8 out of the newspaper classifieds and dad had his shop class make up some engine mounts to
make it work.

Stole this pic from the internet but it was identical, same color, wheels, everything…

CA2557A4-A213-4A3A-9FA5-A841BB6ABF22.jpeg

I still dream about that truck 30 years later.

Last edited:
84 GMC Sierra 2500. I am hoping to get it into my garage in the next year or so and start reviving it.

IMG-2864.JPG

Reactions: PRNDL
learned to drive in a 77 ford courier truck. pops took me to a nearby parking lot that had a large dip in the middle. learned clutch control pulling thru the dip until rear tires were down in the dip.

when it comes to Jeeps, the exposure that laid the groundwork for me getting into it was my mom's uncle had an old green military Jeep that I used to go for rides in. I was too young to know the model but it would've been a 3A or earlier, and if it wasn't an actual Willys MB then it was a CJ done up to look like one, at least well enough to be believable to a 10 year old.

My first wife's dad had a CJ7 that he'd had since the early 80s. It was unmodded except for a winch, and super clean with full doors and a hard top. He kept it at their place in Creede, CO where they eventually retired. I have no idea if he still has it.

A close friend had a CJ5 Renegade "Levi's" jeans edition. I came pretty close to buying it from him, but it had pretty sketchy oil pressure and I decided I wanted something a little more refined and ended up buying my first LJ.

Reactions: Neal
when it comes to Jeeps, the exposure that laid the groundwork for me getting into it was my mom's uncle had an old green military Jeep that I used to go for rides in. I was too young to know the model but it would've been a 3A or earlier, and if it wasn't an actual Willys MB then it was a CJ done up to look like one, at least well enough to be believable to a 10 year old.

My first wife's dad had a CJ7 that he'd had since the early 80s. It was unmodded except for a winch, and super clean with full doors and a hard top. He kept it at their place in Creede, CO where they eventually retired. I have no idea if he still has it.

A close friend had a CJ5 Renegade "Levi's" jeans edition. I came pretty close to buying it from him, but it had pretty sketchy oil pressure and I decided I wanted something a little more refined and ended up buying my first LJ.

My wife’s stepdad was the mayor of Creede for about 30 years. He passed away about 10 years ago, and the park in the middle of town by the railroad station is named after him.

It’s a beautiful town.

My wife’s stepdad was the mayor of Creede for about 30 years. He passed away about 10 years ago, and the park in the middle of town by the railroad station is named after him.

It’s a beautiful town.

it is. I like it a lot. I'd love to get a place in the San Juans some day and build a little off grid style cabin and if the time ever comes, Creede is on my very-short list.

I learned to drive manual in my Dad's Datsun 720 pickup, before he would let me behind the wheel of his '86 Nissan 300Z. That 300Z was so fun to drive, really has made me want a Z car of my own one day.