From Conservative Build To Rock Crawler

The Brake overhaul kit for the rear as well as the new u joints and ball joints for the front came in today :)

Also the Axles got picked up by the guy at the next shop over for the regear. Said I should have it back within a week.

I decided to overhaul the brakes on the rear because going from a drum to disc, I wanted to get all new hardware to hopefully rid the jeep from diving head first into the pavement when I step on the brakes.

Hopefully next week the Revolution axles come in right around when I should be getting the axles back. :D

Finally found some time this afternoon to start welding up the front bumper. The cuts weren’t perfect with the cutoff wheel but that’s where the welder comes in handly

4CF87918-9577-40B4-8409-3A1BF5E88DA6.jpeg

5226680D-F921-453C-B33E-547C19B5F32D.jpeg

A700977E-AD70-471F-B756-108F0D8B358C.jpeg

42AB0F23-6E6E-48D3-8328-AFDE51550DBF.jpeg

Went out and bought a new angle grinder since I had to give my buddy’s back. God what a difference the grinder does to give the bumper that smooth edge. Got the tow hooks angled inline with the front plate and welded in. Drilled the holes for the winch and now it’s gotta sit til tomorrow until I can decide where the mid level stinger will live along with a mount for the fair lead040EF592-5553-4AAE-9711-D7D685384493.jpeg97D25BC4-3616-43B3-9090-6C546B205FBF.jpeg

Reactions: Alex01 and Kiwi TJ
Hey Ladies and Lads, Haven't been on here for a while but I figured I would jump back on with this frame swap i'm doing. So quick Fill in from where I left off. Last summer worked at a 4x4 Shop called Mainline Overland in West Chester,Pa. And let me tell you that was the greatest thing I could have done for the jeep . So hold on I'm about to brain dump to get this thread up to speed,

Inorder to try to save my axle as long as I can I welded in some Artec C-gussets . It took forever with trying to not allow the ball joint to get too hotIMG-0029.JPG

Reactions: TJ Starting
In order to get the 37's under my jeep with my little 2.5 Lift and my 1.25 body lift. I had to do a highline fender mod in the front and had to cut the tub in the rear. This is after I did the High line in the front with the 33's compared tot he 37's. IMG-0020.JPGIMG-0022.JPG
And the amount of cutting I had to do inorder to have the tire not run at full bump.
IMG-0024.JPGIMG-0025.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: Mikester86
I was really happy with the limits of my suspension as a LCOG and wanted to keep it that way. I did however switch my control arms to RuffStuff's double johnny joint lowers and adjustable uppers. These things are really beefy and have held up great in whatever I decide to drag her through.
New Front Suspension.JPG
Playing on the fork-lift to see if I needed to trim or to add any more bump. Which I didnt need to add any after,
IMG-0026.JPGIMG-0027.JPG
Out wheeling she performs great and her only downfall is ledges because of the wheelbase.
IMG-0065.JPGIMG-0055.JPGIMG-0054.JPGIMG-0045.JPGIMG-0067.JPGIMG-0068.JPG

With the Jeep getting more capable and me pushing my driving ability more. I decided it was time to upgrade the safety components of the jeep so that I could keep pushing without the fear of hurting myself or passengers.
First was the front half of the poison spyder front DIY kit and their heavy duty header bar.
IMG-0004.JPGIMG-0005.JPG

Next was adding a harness bar and replacing the seats with Master Craft Rubicon seats with Pro-Armor 5 point harness. I also added in an S-Pod, Tuffy center console and Arb dual compressor while basically redoing the interior.
IMG-0023.JPGIMG-0031.JPGIMG-0043.JPG

Last month I had my neighbor want to go for a ride through the Rock trail i built at my house. I was going to have the back seat in for him and his friends but there was no cage. So I bought the rear spreader bar and burned her in. Going back I would have just bought the whole full dyi poison spyder cage .
IMG-0072.JPGIMG-0073.JPG

These were done after I left the shop due to family reasons and started working at my dad's office as the OSHA and Hippa Consultant and Insurance Coordinator. The jeep has been moving between our houses and a friends house. The last picture is where the Jeep currently is because our garage has enough room for the frame swap coming up.

Reactions: Alex01
After my last wheeling trip I wanted to check the frame and axles for damage since we were playing on Blacks and Reds at Rausch Creek Off Road park. When you don't have a 2 post lift, you improvise (Not Osha Approved) No I did not crawl under the Jeep, yes the rear backhoe supports were down and my brother was operating the forks. IMG-0069.JPG

Not to my surprise. I did a number on the undercarriage.
IMG-0002.JPGIMG-0081.JPGIMG-0049.JPG

Yes that is a frame crack at the rear lower control arm mount. Funny thing is, its on both sides. So needless to say, the Jeep has been parked and I recently bought a new frame in Jersey.
IMG-0079.JPG

Went through the whole frame with an inspection scope and it checked out so I brought her home and started stripping any surface rust I could find.

While at, I decided to get a little crazy with the engine compartment.
WARNING CRINGE POST COMING UP.
With doing Krawling for Cops coming up in June at Rausch and running their night run. I decided to order some rock lights. With that I decided I wanted to get a little crazy and run a black light in the engine bay. So I went to lowes and home depot and got the High Vis, Black light paint they had and went to work.
IMG-0058.JPG IMG-0060.JPGIMG-0059.JPGIMG-0061.JPGIMG-0070.JPG

Now when I say this stuff is High Vis, My god it is bright. Im finishing the back wall once I pull the engine for the frame swap but it glows like crazy with the black light. Ill be running them off the fog light relay so they can be on only at night

Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons
On Easter weekend I pulled the roll cage out with the Tractor and bed lined the cage and Tub. I have no idea how i would have gotten that cage out without the tractor. That foam sealer they use is some tuff stuff. My dad and brother both wanted me to leave the cage off and mount a 40 cal and drive around like how they did back in the 1940's IMG-0074.JPGIMG-0075.JPG

While the bed liner was drying. I wired in the rock lights, This is without the rear wheel wells wired in as it was getting ready to rain earlier in the day so i had to move everything inside.
IMG-0076.JPG

Last Night I finally gotten the frame painted with Eastwoods Platinum Rust Encapsulator. Pulled the wiring and coolant lines from the engine, dropped the drive shafts, transmission and the transfer case.
IMG-0079.JPGIMG-0080.JPG

I also got the custom bracket I made for the PSC hydro assist Reservoir since I needed the bracket flipped that PSC sends for the tj. The spot they want to put it wont work for 2 reasons.
1) The Highline fenders dont have enough clearence for the reservoir to be mounted high enough and have the feed line the correct slope,
2) Thats where I put my stock Tj rubicon locker pumps
IMG-0077.JPGIMG-0078.JPG

Reactions: Alex01 and Chris
Talk about a total transformation!

Much like myself, you've gone of the deep end.

Once you spend too much time with these Wranglers, I think it's just impossible not to want to turn them into a rock crawler 🤣

Reactions: Kevin Bright
If only we had known Chris haha. I stopped counting the money long long ago and now I know whether there is a moderation option or an all out extreme option for any future mod. I'm picking the extreme because I know i'll end up there eventually so why fight it :ROFLMAO:

Did you get any creasing with your front fenders? Looks good! Do you plan on going with rock sliders that will help the gap from the flares looking shorter now?

Reactions: Kevin Bright
Did you get any creasing with your front fenders? Looks good! Do you plan on going with rock sliders that will help the gap from the flares looking shorter now?
I didn't because I made relief cuts my fenders to allow the metal to bend and went back and welded the cuts closed then body filled and painted. I do plan on eventually doing a new set of rock sliders but I might cut the fenders and remake the supports to allow the fender to be tapered down to eliminate the gap.

This past weekends events. Finally got the frame painted and got the front axle in and front brake lines ran.
IMG-5539.JPGIMG-5567.JPG

Also pulled the engine out and started to clean it up with de-greaser and a plastic brissle brush. 885263AA-6096-4FBF-BBA2-0DD6803BC33B.JPGIMG-5573.JPGIMG-5574.JPG

Also I polished my turd AX-5 by degreased, wire wheeled, acid etched primed and then painted with high temp paint.
IMG-5523.JPGIMG-5532.JPG