I need a suggestion for an OEM front driveshaft!

picketpin

Happy Saturday! Well my 2000 Sahara has provided me with new and varied maintenence oportunitities since purchasing her a month ago.. Heater core, Transfer case making terrible sounds. And all those little things that you discover while attempting to remove the T-case.. Broken , rusted skid plate bolts,. Cable Shifter install.. Broken transmission mount...and now the front driveshaft

I actually had to pry and jack the transfer case away from the front diff to allow enough room fot the drive shaft to come out. The slip yoke / splines are rusted but good.. Soaked in PB blaster for several days, Sledge hammer, Now in Electrolysis for the remainder of this day. I Don't have a lot of hope for getting it to budge, and even if I do what will the condition of the splines be??

So... I have looked on Amazon there are the CRS inexpensive models at $212 ish, and USA Standard gear for $360 ish... One on Ebay from a builder back east.. I'm not afraid of spending money on quality, but there is zero feedback on any of these ?? Can I get a OEM spec driveshaft from one of the custom builders? Open to any suggestions.

James

Yes! Call up Tom Wood at http://www.4xshaft.com and he'll make you an OE spec front driveshaft and have it sent out that same day. He's a super knowledgable guy, very friendly, and very well known in Jeep circles. He builds very nice driveshafts.

Reactions: StG58 and picketpin
No drive line shops in bozone? If so, worth a look.

Hey Glwood, actually a good suggestion. There is not a driveline specific shop here, I'll call one of the general shops on monday that lists drive shaft fab in their list of services. I sometimes forget to look here because of expense and lack of service..
You must be familiar with the Bozone?

james

Hey Glwood, actually a good suggestion. There is not a driveline specific shop here, I'll call one of the general shops on monday that lists drive shaft fab in their list of services. I sometimes forget to look here because of expense and lack of service..
You must be familiar with the Bozone?

james
I just saw it in your signature :)

If a local shop has the service, it's definitely worth checking out. If reviews or locals have any feedback, so much the better. When a previous TJ needed front drive shaft work, I had a local shop do the work. That way I would have recourse should there be a problem. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Reactions: picketpin
Thank you all for your responses. Will call the local shop tomorrow and I left an email with Tom Woods. Another question for you guys, I pulled my transfer case out today and some ATF fluid came out of the back of the trans (its a 32RH) is this normal or is there an output seal I need to be replacing along with the ever growing list of parts in this transfer case rebuild project.?.

james