I need help with Dana 35 rear end rebuild options

fizzlebottom

TJ Enthusiast
Following up with my buggered rear end, I have deduced that the following events happened:
  1. The pinion seal leaked.
  2. Differential fluid somehow leaked into the threads of the pinion nut.
  3. That fluid acted like penetrating fluid.
  4. 155k miles of vibrations knocked the nut out of its perfectly fine home and forced it to drift away.
  5. Eventually the nut backed off enough that the pinion gear was able to become good friends with the carrier.
Here are some pretty pictures:
IMG_20190713_110322.jpgIMG_20190713_144538.jpgIMG_20190713_144547.jpgIMG_20190713_144554.jpgIMG_20190713_144653.jpgIMG_20190713_144708.jpgIMG_20190713_144727.jpg

• I clearly need a new carrier.
  • I am fairly certain that I need a new pinion gear, but I want some opinions on that.
  • The ring gear looks completely untouched. Can I go without replacing if it is perfectly good condition?
  • Bearings and raced are all going to be replaced, but they all look and feel perfect.
I honestly have no desire to upgrade anything right now. Even with the widely hated 3.07 gears, this setup has lasted for 155k miles. I'd be fine with an equivalent setup lasting 155k as long as it isn't gonna cost more to stay stock. Is it economical to replace the carrier, pinion gear, all bearings and seals with equivalent stock units?

Let me know what you feel would be some good options for me that won't break the bank.

Don't install used gears, they are significantly harder to set up than new gears are. That is because they have become work hardened where they were touching and shimming them so they touched at those same points would be difficult. My recommendation is a new carrier, gears, a master setup kit, all sourced from the shop who will be installing them.

You want the installing shop providing all the parts used so there will be no warranty issues should something go wrong.

Reactions: tworley
Gears are shot, as are the bearings. Believe it or not, the carrier is likely ok to re-use. I would just smooth the burrs out with a grinder and/or file and clean up the cross pin bore, good to go. I would find a used one to install. No way would I spend any significant money on a 3.07 geared diff, no matter the tire size.

Gears are shot, as are the bearings. Believe it or not, the carrier is likely ok to re-use. I would just smooth the burrs out with a grinder and/or file and clean up the cross pin bore, good to go. I would find a used one to install. No way would I spend any significant money on a 3.07 geared diff, no matter the tire size.

I know dude. I'm really struggling with what to do. I know 3.07 gears are just not great for these vehicles and would love to change them out for something more ideal. I also do not want to mess with the front end right now, but understand that it very well might be inevitable.

If I can find a Dana 44 from the right vehicle at a salvage yard for the right price, I'll grab it and deal with the front end right away. We'll see.

Reactions: Rob5589
After doing some research, I'm tentatively landing on a new carrier, pinion & ring gear set, and master overhaul kit all by Yukon. Their prices beat everything else and they're local to me, so I shouldn't have a hard time finding what I need.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
After doing some research, I'm tentatively landing on a new carrier, pinion & ring gear set, and master overhaul kit all by Yukon. Their prices beat everything else and they're local to me, so I shouldn't have a hard time finding what I need.
If you haven't already purchased the gears @Squatch may still have a Dana 44 or 2 sitting around....

Here is a link to his ad https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/Dana 44-for-sale.24227/

@JMT do you have the Dana 44 he mentioned shipping to texas?

Last edited:
Following up with my buggered rear end, I have deduced that the following events happened:
  4. 155k miles of vibrations knocked the nut out of its perfectly fine home and forced it to drift away.
  5. Eventually the nut backed off enough that the pinion gear was able to become good friends with the carrier.
View attachment 104124View attachment 104125View attachment 104126View attachment 104127View attachment 104128View attachment 104129View attachment 104130

• I am fairly certain that I need a new pinion gear, but I want some opinions on that.
  • The ring gear looks completely untouched. Can I go without replacing if it is perfectly good condition?
  • Bearings and raced are all going to be replaced, but they all look and feel perfect.
I honestly have no desire to upgrade anything right now. Even with the widely hated 3.07 gears, this setup has lasted for 155k miles. I'd be fine with an equivalent setup lasting 155k as long as it isn't gonna cost more to stay stock. Is it economical to replace the carrier, pinion gear, all bearings and seals with equivalent stock units?

Let me know what you feel would be some good options for me that won't break the bank.
View attachment 104124View attachment 104125View attachment 104126View attachment 104127View attachment 104128View attachment 104129View attachment 104130

At least it held up, unlike my rear where it completely exploded into a million pieces. It sounded like a helicopter when I drove, it was like Jeep intentionally installed a helicopter mode in my Jeep. This was my old set up: Dana 35 rear with 3.07
I upgraded to the same Dana 35 but with a 4.10 and and an Aussie locker in the front diff. Now the Jeep has no problems spinning the 33” tires and I gained mpg I go 300 miles till my tank is empty.

655DBD1B-3EE7-44FF-B1B6-96C0219E4701.jpeg

C2D89898-7C7A-42DB-A4D5-167373EC9663.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Alex01
Here is a link to his add https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/Dana 44-for-sale.24227/

Thanks for promoting my wares, @Alex01!!! ;) @fizzlebottom did contact me, and we're having some dialogue now. Appreciate that!

As for the other Dana 44 that went to Texas, it went to a member who isn't quite as active on here as @JMT (but who is, right?) :unsure: :) He's a great guy, and said he'll be doing some build updates once he's made more progress. I haven't mentioned his forum name out of respect for his privacy. Figured it's his call to do so. :)

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and Alex01
Here is a link to his ad https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/Dana 44-for-sale.24227/

No, can’t remember who that went to. It was in TX though. @Squatch will know.

Thanks for promoting my wares, @Alex01!!! ;) @fizzlebottom did contact me, and we're having some dialogue now. Appreciate that!

As for the other Dana 44 that went to Texas, it went to a member who isn't quite as active on here as @JMT (but who is, right?) :unsure: :) He's a great guy, and said he'll be doing some build updates once he's made more progress. I haven't mentioned his forum name out of respect for his privacy. Figured it's his call to do so. :)
I’m moving your direction at last @Squatch ! Leaving TX July 29 and should arrive Aug 5. WA, ready or not, here we come!!!

Reactions: tworley and Squatch
@fizzlebottom's Dana 35 troubles are over, as he is now in possession of my old Dana 44 (thanks, @Alex01). ;) Now we just need to find him a matching geared (3.73) Dana 30 for the front. There had been a couple locally on Craigslist that were cheap, but they're no longer listed. Maybe one will show up again soon. I'll be keeping an eye out for one for him. Nice guy!

Ideally you would want to swap the weaker cv shafts to ujoint but thats easy considering he has the shafts already under his jeep.

Pretty sure the mounting points are different from a TJ despite it being coil spring. Per the ad it doesn't have CV axle shafts

Per @mrblaine on another forum the front axle is plug and play. Your probably thinking about the rear axle since he said it is not.