I need some help with my math

astjp2

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
So I am trying to decide what these springs I am installing are. So if I look at the attached pictures, I get 5 effective wraps and .660 diameter should give me a compressed length of approximately 3.5" for the rear and if I have 10 wraps at .580 gives me approximately 5.8" compressed length. I am trying to figure out my bump stops so I am starting with the springs. The rears are a 4" lift, expect the fronts will be the same. I am assuming that they are rough country based on the guy i got them from, they are used. Thanks anyone who can look at them an correct my math.

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

I understand that, I am just trying to figure out what the minimum the springs will compress to. I have 12" fox shocks that I am going to outboard so if I can set the bumps based on spring compression, tire location and any other interference, then I can set my shock location and it will determine my ride height. I hope to get 6 up and 6 down.

In the past, I have used the wire diameter times the coil wraps. Specifically, the wraps that stack on top of each other. Then I assume I should add about an inch for a safety margin.

If you want to know the compressed height I think you have to count the "1"

I'd bump to protect the shock, I wouldn't worry too much about breaking the spring. It'll just be a little rough if you ever fully compress it. At speeds required to fully stuff those springs almost all bumps are going to be solid metal on metal anyway. At least that's the way I'd look at it.