I need work boot suggestions

timberland pro's................. heavy boots (i have a met guard) but tough as nails and last me the whole yr until my next co. purchase allotment kicks in. no break in they are comfy right out of the box.......if you weld always buy extra laces.
ha, if you weld you know this.

still good enough after the yr i have been able to pass down several pairs to noobs that cannot afford better than walmart boots.

I have a pair of red wing hunting boots that are comfy and can wear them all day long with no issues. They're just insulated boots though which makes them no good for a work boot. I bought a pair of Justin comp toed safety boots that also are incredibly comfortable and very light. I just retired them about a month ago. I've hiked a couple hundred miles in them I bet. I say whatever boot you get, make sure its a comp toe, so much lighter

Reactions: CybrSlydr
I have a pair of Timberland pro boots that I use for site visits and working around the home. They've lasted a while because I don't have to do heavy work on site. At home they get light work duty. Every year I wash them with soapy water and a brush, dry them in the sun, add some leather re-conditioner, then spray on a camping fabric waterproofer. The last pair I had the sole broke before I got a hole in the leather.

The soles are anti slip so I squeak when I walk through airports if I'm going for a short plant visit and pack light. And they are on the heavy side.

First rule for me is how comfortable the boot is, then the safety features. If it is not going to be comfortable, you will more than likely be miserable in them or not wear them all the time. Danner makes great boots and I wear them for work a lot.(Currently wearing RAT steel toe ones as I type)

Timberland Pro also offers composite toe along with a few other safety features and OTB they're comfortable, but don't last much, definitely not as long as the Danners or Red Wing units. I do a lot of walking with my boots, and am also a heavy mofo, and I tend to go through a few pairs a year. I keep a few pairs on rotation to help them last. If you don't have to go through metal detectors a lot, then go for something with a nice steel shank.

If you are gong to do a lot of walking, consider two pairs to alternate.

Last edited:
I’ve had 2 pairs of danners and they were comfortable but the souls only lasted 6 months until they were slicks. I walk a lot at work And I don’t drag my feet( I hate feet dragging). They warrantied one pair but not the 2nd
Redwings we’re always super uncomfortable to me.
I do like timberland pros. Last about a year or 2 and in a wide size pretty comfortable.

I’ve had 2 pairs of danners and they were comfortable but the souls sole only lasted 6 months until they were slicks. I walk a lot at work And I don’t drag my feet( I hate feet dragging). They warrantied one pair but not the 2nd
Redwings we’re always super uncomfortable to me.
I do like timberland pros. Last about a year or 2 and in a wide size pretty comfortable.
I take it the Danners you had didn't have a welted sole? I had my first pair of Danner Quarrys re-soled after the tread wore off. Plus I had the boot repair shop add a slight lift to my right boot so I didn't have to use my insert any more.

I’m surprised that no one’s mentioned Keens. I’m on concrete all day long in the summer and my feet, knees or, back never hurt at the end of the day.

I take it the Danners you had didn't have a welted sole? I had my first pair of Danner Quarrys re-soled after the tread wore off. Plus I had the boot repair shop add a slight lift to my right boot so I didn't have to use my insert any more.
I can’t remember, but I went to the work book section at the Danner store, talked to the sales person, told them exactly how they were going to be used for (mainly concrete floors) and they sold me on the pair I ended up getting. 6 months later... garbage. Like I said they replaced them but told me they would not replace the 2nd pair since they were not “work” boots( did I mention I got them in the work boot section after talking to the sales person at “The Danner store”) Im now back at the same shop doing the same job but in some Adidas they are more comfortable and last longer.
Im not saying I won’t try another pair out, but I probably won’t try another pair out.

Reactions: reddvltj
I ate three pairs of Keens in a half a year. Depends on the work conditions I guess and model. The welted soles help, and you can bring new life to the boots. I use RedWings mostly outside of work, if you could believe that. I find them super comfortable, specially driving.

I have stood on concrete building machines for the last 25 years. Tried about everything, were redwings for about 20 of those years.

The last couple pairs did not hold up like they used to. Only got about 9 months vs the 18 to 24 I got before. Asked what was going on and the salesman just shrugged his shoulders and said it is what it is.

I have had 3 back surgeries and I walk crooked as shit. I take out the right heel on my boots pretty quick, so I started looking for boots that have replaceable soles. Ended up with Thorogoods this time, and 6 months in I like them. They were cheaper than the redwings I used to get, and the soles can be replaced for about 90 bucks.

Also, I dont buy into the liner shit. A good leather boot doesn't need a liner. All the liner does is get tore up and make pinch points.

20200702_210537.jpg

I'm on my 2nd pair of Red Wings Tradesman and wear these on the flightline on concrete and around turbine oil, hydraulic oil, jet fuel, etc. Non-metallic safety toe and the first pair i've worn with the side zipper which I use 50% of the time because I tend to forget about it. Comfortable from day one, keeps my feet dry during monsoon season. I'll get a third pair when these wear out.
1603801360850.png
1603801371496.png

Kinda late to the party since you already bought yours... I was Redwing for years, switched to Carolina last year and really enjoy them. I'm not on the floor anymore, so I can't compare the two - but yeah 8-12 hrs a day on concrete with a shitty boot will kill your feet, legs and back. Other old timers swore by Georgia Boot, I guess after a certain price point it's apples/oranges based on what specific work you are doing.

When I was in, the Danners were issued if you were on a cold-weather posting. Nice fit but heavy compared to Corcoran II's.

I picked up Danner bull run work boots and absolutely love them, a little rough to break in the first week and my feet hurt but after a week they felt as soft and pillowy as my prior skate shoes which would last me about a 6-8 months at best. These danners are quite comfortable and appear to hold up well.

looking for suggestions for all around winter boots for what I should start reading on? preferably knee high!
Ill be looking at being in knee high water at rare times, frequent mud/snow/slush/water, cold temperatures, salt exposure and calcium chloride exposure.

I would like insulated and waterproof boots.

Last year I figured id pay up and purchased lacrosse alphaburly 1600g thinsulate boots and only managed 1 season before they split just above the toes at a folding point and rendered them no longer waterproof.. along with the sinch strap buckle breaking on the first set and second and final warrantied replacements which eventually got the split above the toes. ive determined lacrosse is junk.

My toes frequently get cold, insulated or not and weight of the boot is a concern as the lacrosse boots were heavier than hell and strained my hip flexors severely and have had 2 lower back operations prior.

I wear a size 14-15 mens & online purchasing is likely going to have to occur as every store seems to cut off around a mens 12/13.

I grew up with Sorel boots back when they were actually good boots then transitioned to wolverine insulated muck boots but no longer can seem to find something im satisfied with for wolverine.

So, I'm trying to find a pair of work boots that will be comfortable for being on my feet all day.

I bought a pair of Red Wing engineer's boots for the Enron building project in Houston back in 2000. Have resoled them twice since. When on the job site, I wore them from 8 - 10 hours a day. Most comfortable footwear I own. Now retired, but still wear them a couple of times a month.