I need work boot suggestions

Chippewa makes good boots. I've been wearing Red Wings (Pecos) for many years, but now it's getting harder to find the ones made in the US. I've been wearing Wellingtons for many years, as I love to slip on/off.

I'm in need of some new ones as well. I may have to check out the Danner Bull Run Wellingtons because of all of the feedback on this thread.

Rocky is right down the road from me, and I like some of theirs as well.

Reactions: reddvltj
Reactions: Ron505 and reddvltj
https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/mens/boots/SuperSole-2.0-00607.html?cgid=mens-work-boots
I'm on my second pair of these, first pair lasted 7yrs second is going on 4yrs both worn almost daily. Made in USA and super comfortable after an admittedly long break in period. They also come in a steel(?) toed version and brown . First pair the sole separated and it was going to cost almost as much as a new pair to replace so I bought the current pair.

I've had good luck with Carolina boots. Finally wore out a 9 year old pair this last year and replaced them with a new set. Granted, it wasn't daily all of those 9 years, but about 2-3 were in surveying and construction. The remainder were for house projects, small hiking, and yard work.

So, I'm trying to find a pair of work boots that will be comfortable for being on my feet all day.
Knowing what kind of work you'll be doing would be helpful. Do they need to have a safety toe? How "tall" does the upper need to be (4", 6", 8", etc.) Do they need to be insulated? Indoor, outdoor, concrete, uneven terrain? Some "work boots" need more break in than others. Welted soles can be resoled non-welted are "throw away"... There's way more to finding the boot you need than what anyone can answer based on their own personal experience.

As @Dr. Internet mentioned he's had good experiences with Red Wing boots, I tried a pair of Red Wing boots and nothing I did would make them comfortable, but that just means my feet and their boot don't like to coexist.

I have had 2 pairs of Danner Steel toe boots that I absolutely loved, they were comfortable from the day I bought them. One pair I had resoled twice over the 4 years I wore them, the second pair I wore for a year and haven't needed them since so I gave them to my son and he still wears them now 5 years later.

White's is another good boot maker, but again everyone is different and more often than not our own 2 feet are not identical either.

If you can find a Red Wing or White's store there is also the option of having custom boots made for your feet. (If they still do that:unsure:, I haven't needed work boots for 6 years now.)

Reactions: Squatch
as a follow up, my first set of danner bull runs (maybe less than a year of use) composite toe box split and danner warrantied my boots out because it is not replaceable (that part is made over seas). replacement set of bull runs havent even broken in the leather yet and the soles are already separating from the boot.

ended up with thorogoods and so far so good.

I've been pretty happy with my Danners. Definitely get some thick socks to maximize comfort. Only issue I have is due to the repairs to my leg in my lower tibia - gets sore if I wear them all day. But that happens with anything I wear that's tall like boots.

So, I'm trying to find a pair of work boots that will be comfortable for every day walking. I have been told that the best thing to do is go into a store and try on a few pairs, but I don't have any nearby stores that can offer a large selection. My first step was to go online and order a few pairs that seemed to have good ratings from the customers. I ordered a pair of boots from rockroosterfootwear.com after a lot of my friends recommended me their products. They have a lot of positive reviews, so hopefully these guys will not disappoint me.

I got a pair of Red Wing Brnr XP insulated boots for the winters here. REALLY glad we have a boot reimbursement bc those boots were $300. Lol

I just picked up a pair of these. Not so much for work. They are some of the most comfortable boots I've put on.

Irish Setter - Ashby
1645029992095.png

Reactions: powdaman
I don't prefer leather toes on my work boots where im welding and cutting metal. I've had great luck with Timberland Pros where the composite toe on the outside and the flat wedge sole. Great shop boot. I dont like a hiking style boot for shop work, the lugs are slippery IMO and the shanks are stiff (at least in my hiking boots). I keep the hiking boots for hiking and the T-Pros for oily concrete and sparks.

I don't have a brand recommendation but a word on the type of boot.

My last job required safety toes on the factory floor, which I went to often enough to need some but not often enough to wear them all day every day, so I kept a pair under my desk and just changed when I went down there. My buddy across the aisle had some that slipped on like cowboy boots, but they were rubber soled, and safety toes. They were great for welding because it didn't have laces and a tongue to catch slag (which meant he could go into welding areas without leather covers over his boots), and he could change in and out of them in seconds. I changed jobs before I bought any, but I recognized the utility and even at home, even though I don't think of myself as a cowboy and rarely listen to country music, I wear cowboy boots a LOT because they're so easy to take on and off.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
this thread may just shut down the world wide web, it wont know where to put it on the server. I can hear alexa now ! WORK BOOTS does not compute, WORK BOOTS ? WORK BOOTS ?????? checking Spanish dictionary, checking Greek, French, German, no definition of work boot ????? glad to see someone still alive that knows how to use a pair of them !

I wanted to add to my Red Wing experience since folks might like the input.

I went to a local store here in Casper, little shop in a shopping center. Very nice shop - clean, well laid out, cared for. Gent I talked to in the store was awesome - had everything I needed to know. They also just installed this gait measurement system to analyze your feet and how you walk to help with picking sizes and insoles.

https://my.volumental.com/en/red_wing_beta/eac95f82-1dae-4919-8be9-c161309d8c65/?utm_medium=myvemail
You keep your socks on and it generates all this data you can see in the link above - and then they email it to you as well.

I ended up getting some stiffer insoles because of my arches and the way my feet move when I walk and they've been great. Got some oil as well to keep the leather in good shape.

If you have a Red Wing store near by, give 'em a look because my experience was amazing.

Nice thing about the Brnr XP is they're re-soleable, so "only" $120 I think to re-sole rather than $300 for a new pair.

Okay folks don't laugh until you try them. I needed to get a new pair of boots for working in the garage and picked up a pair of these. Suffice it to say I was blown away how good they are for the money. Comfortable, warm, and tuff. The only negative thing I can say is the tongue could be a little longer, because when you tie them the laces are all the way at the top of the tongue.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brahma-M...9dwKcixDDmnyXgOGVngaAs2QEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Okay folks don't laugh until you try them. I needed to get a new pair of boots for working in the garage and picked up a pair of these. Suffice it to say I was blown away how good they are for the money. Comfortable, warm, and tuff. The only negative thing I can say is the tongue could be a little longer, because when you tie them the laces are all the way at the top of the tongue.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brahma-M...9dwKcixDDmnyXgOGVngaAs2QEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Do you get a lot of hours on your feet in a day? I haven't tried those specifically but my first pair of safety toes was that brand, in that price range, and by 6 hours into a shift (which was 100% standing), amputation started to look like an attractive alternative to spending one more agonizing second standing in those boots.

After searching for over six months for a pair of Danner Quarry boots in my size, and falling victim to a fraudulent website that copied Danner's homepage to the "T", I was finally able to locate a little shop in Vermont (clear across the country from me) that had two pairs of 'em. The price had gone up substantially since the last pair I bought a few years ago, but they were available, and delivered within four days (arrived at 9:20pm last night). $620 for two pairs. No tax, and free shipping. Straight out of the box comfort, and for me, I've never had an issue with them holding up (and I weigh 275 lbs. on a good day). I still can recommend Danner boots.
1648318646182.png

After searching for over six months for a pair of Danner Quarry boots in my size, and falling victim to a fraudulent website that copied Danner's homepage to the "T", I was finally able to locate a little shop in Vermont (clear across the country from me) that had two pairs of 'em. The price had gone up substantially since the last pair I bought a few years ago, but they were available, and delivered within four days (arrived at 9:20pm last night). $620 for two pairs. No tax, and free shipping. Straight out of the box comfort, and for me, I've never had an issue with them holding up (and I weigh 275 lbs. on a good day). I still can recommend Danner boots.
View attachment 318454
I had wanted to go with the insulated quarrys, but I couldn't find them anywhere either, which is why I went with the Red Wings.

Glad to see you successful in your search!