I tested out my front and rear Detroit Truetrac LSDs

What is the difference between the Detroit truetrac LSD and the factory LSD that, for example, my 98 Sport has in the back?

What is the difference between the Detroit truetrac LSD and the factory LSD that, for example, my 98 Sport has in the back?
The Detroit is a lot better, plus the factory clutch driven Trac-loc probably doesn't even work any more because the clutches are shot.

I am sure I will get blasted, but our dedicated trail rig has TrueTracs front and rear. We have been wheeling this rig for several years over serious obstacles - In 3 years we have only hit 3 things that we couldn't do (but could have probably done with true lockers). We have done trails that the trail guides said "you cant do this do the by-pass", and fairly easily pulled it off when other locked jeeps really struggled.

Now, all that said, yes it probably would have been easier with lockers. We have a ton of hours on the TT and have learned learned the "use the brake" technique etc. Yes I will put in true lockers when we finally break something like an axle upgrade everything.

But - for the $$, and the ease of use for a DD, please dont discount the TT as a viable option. I am not sorry I went with them when we did. Unless you are regularly trying to do stuff a built buggy should be doing, they are a good option.

just my 2 cents.

Jerry, I understand they are not lockers, but they should not be overlooked or underestimated for their ability to perform very well even in a situation where a locker is "required". With good driving techniques it will far outperform any other limited slip out there and achieve almost a locker capabilities. (Look up some of the military training videos from how to use the brake technique) And (IMO) for the price it is a damn good option.
The brake technique is well known and I used it EXTENSIVELY with my front and rear Truetracs. On the trails I enjoy, even the brake technique wasn't even close to being enough. The tire in the air would spin wildly and the tire on the ground wasn't getting enough torque to keep me moving on all of the trails I enjoyed which were pretty much all uneven enough to lift tires up off the ground. That's when I decided to give up and sold both Truetracs and replaced them with lockers. When you're on a trail that is so uneven you have a tire on each axle that has insufficient traction/up in the air spinning, you won't be going anywhere even with f/r Truetracs. I wheeled with f/r Truetracs for a couple years before it became totally obvious they don't help enough on the significantly tougher trail levels I enjoy.

People were trying very hard to talk me out of the TT's here, when I was going to get them. I'm glad I went with my gut feeling and had the TT's installed. Totally transparent on the street like I wanted, and have performed how I wanted them off road.

Reactions: abart and Wildman
People were trying very hard to talk me out of the TT's here, when I was going to get them. I'm glad I went with my gut feeling and had the TT's installed. Totally transparent on the street like I wanted, and have performed how I wanted them off road.
I was very happy with my Truetracs too for about six months before I reached their limitations. And even lockers can be 100% transparent on the road if you select the right lockers. My first lockers were 95% unnoticeable on my previous daily driver TJ and my current lockers are 100% invisible/undetectable on the road.

This is really simple. If you wheel in difficult areas that really need lockers...buy lockers. If you don't wheel like that, but need extra traction, and your tires are generally all on the ground, like how I wheel, the TT's are great, with no unwanted quirks on the street.

The brake technique is well known and I used it EXTENSIVELY with my front and rear Truetracs. On the trails I enjoy, even the brake technique wasn't even close to being enough. The tire in the air would spin wildly and the tire on the ground wasn't getting enough torque to keep me moving on all of the trails I enjoyed which were pretty much all uneven enough to lift tires up off the ground. That's when I decided to give up and sold both Truetracs and replaced them with lockers. When you're on a trail that is so uneven you have a tire on each axle that has insufficient traction/up in the air spinning, you won't be going anywhere even with f/r Truetracs. I wheeled with f/r Truetracs for a couple years before it became totally obvious they don't help enough on the significantly tougher trail levels I enjoy.
Perhaps I am not going on the right trails to get stuck, but I have been in the rocks and mud on 2 wheels on numerous occasions and the TT's haven't let me down yet. I will be heading for the Rubicon later this year so maybe I will find their limits at that time.

Perhaps I am not going on the right trails to get stuck, but I have been in the rocks and mud on 2 wheels on numerous occasions and the TT's haven't let me down yet. I will be heading for the Rubicon later this year so maybe I will find their limits at that time.
The Rubicon trail isn't tough enough to really require lockers except in a couple spots that most take bypasses around.

The Rubicon trail isn't tough enough to really require lockers except in a couple spots that most take bypasses around.
Damn, and just when I thought I was gonna use my winch.. 🤣 I'm sure I will find a spot to get em to fail by the end of the season. Joined a local 4x4 club so expect to push the TJ to the max.

I was very happy with my Truetracs too for about six months before I reached their limitations. And even lockers can be 100% transparent on the road if you select the right lockers. My first lockers were 95% unnoticeable on my previous daily driver TJ and my current lockers are 100% invisible/undetectable on the road.

Jerry - sounds like you have used several different lockers. Do you mind sharing what brand/models you've tried and what you liked/disliked?

Reactions: ScottCO and matkal

That's ironic and kind of funny, but I do believe you. The Rubicon trail "isn't tough enough to really require lockers," but Jeep came out with a Wrangler package that has front and rear lockers from the factory and dubbed it the "Rubicon." Many people now think that unless they have a Rubicon model, their Jeep is basically useless on the trail.

Marketing geniuses.

I am sure I will get blasted, but our dedicated trail rig has TrueTracs front and rear. We have been wheeling this rig for several years over serious obstacles - In 3 years we have only hit 3 things that we couldn't do (but could have probably done with true lockers). We have done trails that the trail guides said "you cant do this do the by-pass", and fairly easily pulled it off when other locked jeeps really struggled.

Now, all that said, yes it probably would have been easier with lockers. We have a ton of hours on the TT and have learned learned the "use the brake" technique etc. Yes I will put in true lockers when we finally break something like an axle upgrade everything.

But - for the $$, and the ease of use for a DD, please dont discount the TT as a viable option. I am not sorry I went with them when we did. Unless you are regularly trying to do stuff a built buggy should be doing, they are a good option.

just my 2 cents.

This is really simple. If you wheel in difficult areas that really need lockers...buy lockers. If you don't wheel like that, but need extra traction, and your tires are generally all on the ground, like how I wheel, the TT's are great, with no unwanted quirks on the street.

I previously posted up about using TTs on the trail and received the same grief you have received.
The TruTrac is a great traction device for Jeep owners that are not into hardcore trails and obstacles.

Perhaps I am not going on the right trails to get stuck, but I have been in the rocks and mud on 2 wheels on numerous occasions and the TT's haven't let me down yet.

This is exactly my feelings and experiences with the TTs.
If you know your vehicle, can pick a good line on the trail and know how to apply the brake; you will make it thru most obstacles.

After several years of wheeling with TTs I too found that I needed to upgrade to a Detroit in the rear and ARB up front, but that is because I moved onto much harder trails with harder obstacles.

I previously posted up about using TTs on the trail and received the same grief you have received.
The TruTrac is a great traction device for Jeep owners that are not into hardcore trails and obstacles.

If you know your vehicle, can pick a good line on the trail and know how to apply the brake; you will make it thru most obstacles.

After several years of wheeling with TTs I too found that I needed to upgrade to a Detroit in the rear and ARB up front, but that is because I moved onto much harder trails with harder obstacles.

So you went with automatic locker in the rear (Detroit) and select-able up front, correct? I have heard this before, What is the thinking behind this setup?

So you went with automatic locker in the rear (Detroit) and select-able up front, correct? I have heard this before, What is the thinking behind this setup?

Others may disagree, but for me the Detroit Locker in the rear will get you thru almost all obstacles on the trail even when one tire is off the ground. The ARB is a selectable locker that I used ONLY in the most difficult obstacles and then turned it off once I was thru the obstacle.
Both lockers provide great performance and I had no troubles with in the 15 years that I used them. The Detroit Locker in the rear with a manual transmission will click on occasion when tight turns are made during daily driving.

Thanks for the input Charels! I know I will get to a time when I long for lockers. I am already trying to figure out how to stuff a 35" tire under my Jeep and I am not to keen doing it with the stock axles. I am going to try and ride this season out with what I have and likely be planning to add the lockers to my axle shopping list.

Thanks for the input Charels! I know I will get to a time when I long for lockers. I am already trying to figure out how to stuff a 35" tire under my Jeep and I am not to keen doing it with the stock axles. I am going to try and ride this season out with what I have and likely be planning to add the lockers to my axle shopping list.

Not sure if you have the Dana 35 or Dana 44 in the rear, but the Dana 35 in stock form SHOULD NOT have a locker installed with tires larger than 31s.
I can guarantee that with 35" tires; the locker WILL snap axles.....
The Dana 44 is more than capable of handling your modifications and more....
To stuff 35" tires under your Jeep you will need to go to rims of a different offset and modify you fenders otherwise they will become self clearancing....

Not sure if you have the Dana 35 or Dana 44 in the rear, but the Dana 35 in stock form SHOULD NOT have a locker installed with tires larger than 31s.
I can guarantee that with 35" tires; the locker WILL snap axles.....
The Dana 44 is more than capable of handling your modifications and more....
To stuff 35" tires under your Jeep you will need to go to rims of a different offset and modify you fenders otherwise they will become self clearancing....
I have the sad little Dana 35 and when I say axels I mean the whole carrier and everything in it. Dana 44 is my plan. I already have flat fenders about a 4" lift and a 1" body lift. It will be close with the 35's but perhaps I will be getting springs at the same time 😬