I think that it may be time for a new top

Jacket4256

TJ Enthusiast
So as the title says, I think I may be in the market for a new top this year, I have the original frame top from Bestop on the Jeep now and I do think that it is original, and its starting to show its age, it doesn't leak. Although OMG its a pita to get back on when you take it off, I basically need two people to get it strapped back down. I am new to jeeps but don't feel like it should be this hard to get it on and off.

This is not a daily driver but I do drive it a lot, I want something this is easy to work so my wife can take it on and off by herself, and I would like something that I can take the top off and keep it with me just in case.

I had a friend suggest the Rampage bowless top that he used years ago and liked it, and another buddy just bought the Trextop for his Jeep but not sure I like the fold open and not able to remove the whole top.

Bestop Replace-a-Top is a pretty safe choice. Will basically be OEM, and re-uses the same frame, etc. I've taken that route twice, and have been pleased both times.

But if ease of removal is your main interest, others may have advice on other brands.

Reactions: rasband
Bestop Replace-a-Top is a pretty safe choice. Will basically be OEM, and re-uses the same frame, etc. I've taken that route twice, and have been pleased both times.

But if ease of removal is your main interest, others may have advice on other brands.
Thanks! is it normal to be so hard to latch the front two locks on the factory top?

Reactions: harbiison
If you want it to feel quieter you can’t do better than the bestop (but you also need to have full doors on for this to be true).

If your rig is mostly set up for the trail and uses soft doors most the time like mine, they’re all kind of the same - loud.

Mine had a rampage on it when I bought it and the top deteriorated rather quickly (got about 2.5yr out of it). Right now I have a bestop, and while it’s nicer and more quality overall (metal zippers vs plastic, for example) the verdict is still out for me if the cost was worth it. @strumble8 has the rampage too, his has held up much better than mine did.

Thanks! is it normal to be so hard to latch the front two locks on the factory top?
Which part is hard. Getting the hooks started in the slots or actually locking them down as the last step? If it is the last step, tops typically stretch over time. If you have the side/rear windows and rear curtain in place, it should offer some resistance but not hard.

Tight to close typically means a new top that is in pretty good shape with windows that are not sagging.

Which part is hard. Getting the hooks started in the slots or actually locking them down as the last step? If it is the last step, tops typically stretch over time. If you have the side/rear windows and rear curtain in place, it should offer some resistance but not hard.

Tight to close typically means a new top that is in pretty good shape with windows that are not sagging.
once you get the hooks in they snap easy. I may have the process wrong but just getting them lined up it basically a fight every time.

I put the sides and rear in zip about 1/4th, but don't put the hooks in place.
Then pull top up and put the hooks in header ( the hardest part) once they are locked down post cussing and swearing for 20 minutes then I put the sides on the rest of the way.

once you get the hooks in they snap easy. I may have the process wrong but just getting them lined up it basically a fight every time.

I put the sides and rear in zip about 1/4th, but don't put the hooks in place.
Then pull top up and put the hooks in header ( the hardest part) once they are locked down post cussing and swearing for 20 minutes then I put the sides on the rest of the way.
You should be putting the hooks in as the first step before inserting the rear curtains and any windows.

I ordered this top from Sierra Offroad earlier this year for $219 delivered. Last fall when we put the top up for the cold weather it took me more than 40 minutes and it was a nightmare at every step. The old top was 18 years old and showing it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DR1544Q/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I am confident it is not as nice as a Bestop or some others, but I have to say for the price I am pretty satisfied. It took me around an hour to replace the top even though I did it when it was around 65 out, not the 72+ they recommend (patience is not in heavy supply around here sometimes...). It has been easy to put up and down as necessary. It is louder than the OEM top, but only if I am listening closely. It's passed all the rain tests so far but they have been pretty mild. To be honest our TJ is mostly our summer cruiser and if the weather is bad we don't take it out so our demands for the top are light duty.

It might be that I got bamboozled and I'll be in the market for a new top next spring, but so far so good.

Reactions: Jacket4256
I just start the zip on the curtains, I don't attach them at the sides or bottom. Should I not even do that part ?
I don't think it matters but I would start with the hooks in front without attaching anything especially the rear curtains. That way, you can lift the rear bow up for extra reach if needed to get the hooks in. Also, push up on the locking handle to extend the hooks down as far as they will go. There should be no swearing involved if you do it right.

Reactions: Jim King and Ron505
My top is original and is a PIA to put up and down even in warm weather, if it is chilly forget it. How easy is it to intsall the replace a top on the frame?
IF you decide to purchasing a new Replace a Top; I would suggest placing the soft top in the sun for a couple hours and assembling the top on a warm day. The new soft top material will need to soften and stretch during installation.
One person can install a new top on the frame, but is much easier to accomplish with two people.
I installed a new soft top on a JK by myself and it was a PITA since I am not 6' tall....
Once the new soft top is installed and stretches in place for a while; the removal and installation can be accomplished with one person, but much easier with two people.

NOTE: Suggest you inspect the strapping from the overhead bow to the rear bow that supports the rear corners of the top. The strapping was decomposing and crumbling into particles. I had to purchase a 20' length of 3" strapping, drill out the old rivets and use the old strapping as a template for length and positioning for proper support of the rear corners of the soft top.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abell02TJ
So what would cause mine to be so hard to attach even with the windows out, I have about a 2-4 inch gap at the header with no windows attached, and me pushing the bar in the middle of the top.

Could this be caused by the top just being a dried out ?

As mentioned above. Do not attach the windows. Put the front clips in the slots but do not clamp them down. Go back and attach the rear corners into the tub, then go back up front and clamp them down. Now attach the windows. Sides first, then the back window.
^^^This is what I do. Never a struggle unless it's cloudy and below 60 degrees. Although, I'm not sure that my wife could do it without a small struggle.

So what would cause mine to be so hard to attach even with the windows out, I have about a 2-4 inch gap at the header with no windows attached, and me pushing the bar in the middle of the top.

AS mentioned, I hook the header in with the clamps, without latching them, then move to the back curtains. Then latch the header, then windows.

What is pushing on the middle bar supposed to do? Try raising the rear most bar of the frame behind the rear seat. That should be enough to get the header a few inches in front of the wind shield and more than enough to get the hooks in if you are doing it right.