I took a needle scaler to the engine block

Vtx531

TJ Addict
While I had my alternator and belt tensioner out...

The engine block had some nasty, seriously flaking paint. Needle scaler did a good job. I sprayed it with rusty metal primer rustoleum and it will get flat black on top. We'll see how it holds up but the good thing about a rusty Jeep is that you can't really make it any worse!

2586DD77-7204-4CD4-9DB0-27D39C45B1DE.jpeg

758AD61E-136B-4120-88C4-5E6B37B8993E.jpeg

B68ED5BA-72D2-4651-BCE7-B6AD758A14F2.jpeg

Reactions: Wheeler
looks much better, did you use high heat primer and paint? not sure regular will stand up to the heat?
Ya, I'm doubtful it will stand up to the heat too. I'm under the impression that water cooled engines don't get too extremely hot.

I used rusty metal primer even though the "rusty metal" part is probably just a marketing gimmick. Directions say not to use on parts above 200 degrees :poop:. So maybe I should have used hi temp primer even if it's not made for rust because probably no primer works over rust anyways.

Ya, I'm doubtful it will stand up to the heat too. I'm under the impression that water cooled engines don't get too extremely hot.

I used rusty metal primer even though the "rusty metal" part is probably just a marketing gimmick. Directions say not to use on parts above 200 degrees :poop:. So maybe I should have used hi temp primer even if it's not made for rust because probably no primer works over rust anyways.
"Rusty metal primer" is the real deal. I've been using it for over 40 years, and it virtually always stops the rust in its tracks. Like any other primer, it needs to be top coated if exposed to the weather.

I'd be interested in knowing how it works on your engine - I have the same problem. "Rusty Metal Primer" isn't heat rated, and "high temperature" paints/primers aren't rust rated...

Reactions: pc1p

Problem is these engines run at 210 so will be interested to see what happens

• Haha
Reactions: Vtx531 and JMT
After seeing the primer picture I was going to suggest masking off several different parts, like the timing belt cove and the engine mount bolt heat.

Now that I've seen the finished product I have to say, that paint job perfectly fits in with that Jeep. Keep up the Jeep work.