I un-did the unthinkable...

Your kids will grow up, move out, and you and your wife can go on TJ adventures, and you'll be able to DD every day. While a 4 door SUV or minivan has its place with your family dynamic, they can become soul sucking machines, so keeping the TJ around helps fill the tank, so to speak. you know what I'm saying.

That’s one of the things I think about. Once they are all grown up and on their own, the TJ will get even more use than it does (right now it’s mostly weekends we drive it on).

Since the TJ is all paid off and almost done in terms of mods, it basically doesn’t take any money other than gas. That being said, I didn’t want to go down that route of “building” another Wrangler. It’s so damn spendy!

That’s one of the things I think about. Once they are all grown up and on their own, the TJ will get even more use than it does (right now it’s mostly weekends we drive it on).

bobthetj03 is on the money :)
Your kids will grow up, move out, and you and your wife can go on TJ adventures,

The story of my life :( :)

Reactions: Chris
So I'm curious, are you still going to acquire another vehicle? And if so, what are you thinking about? Got an itch for a Honda Odyssey you don't want to 'fess up to? ;)

Your kids will grow up, move out, and you and your wife can go on TJ adventures, and you'll be able to DD every day. While a 4 door SUV or minivan has its place with your family dynamic, they can become soul sucking machines, so keeping the TJ around helps fill the tank, so to speak. you know what I'm saying.

Yep. My wife drives a 2012 grand Cherokee, and I drive the TJ. With a 1-year old, and a baby on the way, the TJ makes a lousy family vehicle.

But you can only drive 1 family vehicle at a time, so you really only NEED one.

The TJ is for fun, for going out to eat. We’ll use the grand Cherokee for grocery shopping.

We are planning on keeping our 2015 Outback for now. If we ever need a bigger vehicle for the family in the future, we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

For now though, this works. You just have to use a vehicle for it’s intended purpose. A Wrangler isn’t the greatest family vehicle. Even a JKU with the extra room is nice, but again, I’m still not sure it’s the best vehicle as far as hauling the family goes.

I look at Wranglers as more of a toy, which is just fine. They do the job, and they do it well.

Happy wife, happy life! In the 80's my two kids in a minivan...... priceless!
It was for the kids not for me and my selfish me :(

Last edited:
We keep the Rodeo for anytime we need to haul more folks, dogs, grandkids, etc. Momma has her toy (350Z roadster), and I have mine(TJ). Mine doubles as a daily.

Well guys and gals, I did the unthinkable. We kept looking for a different “family” vehicle, and all the while the only thing I could think about is A JKU. Sure, it’s not as roomy as a Minivan, but it gets the job done and I’m much happier driving it than a minivan.

So, now I own a TJ Rubicon and the newest addition... a 2013 JKU Rubicon 10th Anniversary!

Don’t worry, the TJ ain’t going anywhere either. This is just a “fun” second vehicle.

Here she is:

View attachment 28656
Well done! Can’t blame you, I most likely would’ve done the same thing. Before you know it...the family vehicle turns into a modified beast! Enjoy it!

Well done! Can’t blame you, I most likely would’ve done the same thing. Before you know it...the family vehicle turns into a modified beast! Enjoy it!

Exactly. I probably wouldn’t be able to control myself with the mods, and then before you know it it’s just more money down the drain. One money pit is all I need!