I un-did the unthinkable...

I'm waiting for the half doors in 2019. The rest, not so much. @Chris's JKUR is nice. I keep hoping he shares more pictures.

FYI, we haven't picked up the JKU yet. It's at BMW of Spokane. I have them a hefty amount via my VISA card to hold it for me until I can fly up there and drive it down.

So maybe it's stupid that I bought it without actually driving it first, but we drove others, and this one only has 40k miles and it was a trade-in from the original owner. I checked the VIN and it was purchased in Washington state and has had all the recalls done and everything. In other words, I felt okay buying it just based off the photos.

All I have to do is go up there now and sign the papers, then drive it back.

Here's some more photos they took for me:

IMAG0924.jpg
IMAG0925.jpg
IMAG0927.jpg
IMAG0928.jpg
IMAG0929.jpg
IMAG0930.jpg
IMAG0931.jpg

FYI, we haven't picked up the JKU yet. It's at BMW of Spokane. I have them a hefty amount via my VISA card to hold it for me until I can fly up there and drive it down.

So maybe it's stupid that I bought it without actually driving it first, but we drove others, and this one only has 40k miles and it was a trade-in from the original owner. I checked the VIN and it was purchased in Washington state and has had all the recalls done and everything. In other words, I felt okay buying it just based off the photos.

View attachment 28733 View attachment 28734 View attachment 28735 View attachment 28736 View attachment 28737 View attachment 28738 View attachment 28739
Oh man! That's sweeeeet! Stand by for the possibility that ODMV will jerk you around a little. I bought my SE in the Sound area and Oregon and Washington don't play well together for some reason.

Reactions: Chris

View attachment 28733 View attachment 28734 View attachment 28735 View attachment 28736 View attachment 28737 View attachment 28738 View attachment 28739
That's how I bought my tj too. 500 down to hold it then prayed on the way up that it would be worthy lol

So cool... I'm trying to keep it mild, this is my build list so far:
  • Transmission cooler
  • Tuner
  • AEV 2.5” lift
  • AEV Pintler wheels
  • 35” Duratrac tires
  • AEV spare tire carrier
  • Mopar LED headlights (2017+ models)
  • Mopar LED fog lights
  • LED taillights
  • Alien Sunshade
Not trying to have some super long and crazy build. Just something that looks good with quality parts. No angry bird grilles, LED light cubes, light bars, etc. Nice, clean, and simple.
I would only add a regear. It will takes stress off the transmission and gove you your power back. You have a tuner on your list but you are going to run 35s on 4.10’s. Some might argue that the tuner will be a waste. Or that if youre going to tune it atleast have it geared right so that you get your true money’s worth out of the tune. Good list bone the less! Congrats.

Reactions: Chris and JMT
I actually like them. I just like TJ better. I prefer the 4.0 and will rebuild mine when it gets up there to rebuild status. Not saying I wouldn't like the 6 but considering what a Mopar engineer told about the 4.0 I am hesitant to try the newer 6. Good looking Jeep Chris. When will you add the JK section? HAHAHA

FYI, that auto shifter takes some getting used to. Not shifting just to drive, but the side to side thing you have to do if you want to be in a lower gear longer, then shift up. You'll see once you try it.

Just remember to keep those white letters facing out on the existing (and your new) tires. So sharp. Let me guess, 35” duratrac?

Reactions: Travis
Surprised that the Rubi does not have the Navigation unit? I had that exact stereo with the sub, it is not bad...I did upgrade the dash ad roll bar speakers to kicker and did the polyfill thing.

Just remember to keep those white letters facing out on the existing (and your new) tires. So sharp. Let me guess, 35” duratrac?

You know me too well!

Surprised that the Rubi does not have the Navigation unit? I had that exact stereo with the sub, it is not bad...I did upgrade the dash ad roll bar speakers to kicker and did the polyfill thing.

I could add the factory nav unit, but most people replace it with a better aftermarket one that runs Android. I was planning on putting an Apple CarPlay unit in it.

You know me too well!

I could add the factory nav unit, but most people replace it with a better aftermarket one that runs Android. I was planning on putting an Apple CarPlay unit in it.
Navigation is trash honestly. I used my google maps on my phone. The navigation you have to constantly update...not worth the price tag IMO

Navigation is trash honestly. I used my google maps on my phone. The navigation you have to constantly update...not worth the price tag IMO

Navigation in any vehicle these days is trash. Our 2015 Subaru Outback doesn't have the factory nav, I and I specifically bought it because of that. Every vehicle I've had in the past with factory nav (including both my M3 and my M5) was garbage. Like you said, you have to pay to update it, it's clunky, it's slow, and it's a pain in the butt to operate. The best nav is right there on our smart phones, no need to pay more for it in a vehicle.

You'd think by now, factory nav units would use Google Maps, that might make things better.

There's a new Apple CarPlay unit for the JKs that looks really cool. I may give that a try just so it works well with my iPhone.

Navigation in any vehicle these days is trash. Our 2015 Subaru Outback doesn't have the factory nav, I and I specifically bought it because of that. Every vehicle I've had in the past with factory nav (including both my M3 and my M5) was garbage. Like you said, you have to pay to update it, it's clunky, it's slow, and it's a pain in the butt to operate. The best nav is right there on our smart phones, no need to pay more for it in a vehicle.

You'd think by now, factory nav units would use Google Maps, that might make things better.

There's a new Apple CarPlay unit for the JKs that looks really cool. I may give that a try just so it works well with my iPhone.
I worked for two years specifically as an option dealers would call to get help troubleshooting carplay. I like it, two major gripes:
  • No Google Maps/Waze, Only Apple maps (WHYYY)
  • About 99% of the carplay radios avaliable are wired only connections. You may say you can live with plugging it in every time, you don’t want to live this way, get a wireless one (Like Alpines).
If theft wasn’t such an issue I would run one :)

I worked for two years specifically as an option dealers would call to get help troubleshooting carplay. I like it, two major gripes:
  • No Google Maps/Waze, Only Apple maps (WHYYY)
  • About 99% of the carplay radios avaliable are wired only connections. You may say you can live with plugging it in every time, you don’t want to live this way, get a wireless one (Like Alpines).
If theft wasn’t such an issue I would run one :)

Ahhh, I'll do some more research on it before I buy one. It's not even on my list of important things in all honesty. It would probably be the last thing I do. Maybe by then, some of those kinks will have been worked out.

Apple Maps has gotten better IMHO. It's still not as good as Google Maps by any means, but it's definitely improved the last few times I used it.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara