1. Want to have your TJ featured as the August 2018 "Ride of the Month"? The winner will receive a $200 gift card from Metalcloak! Click here to submit a photo of your TJ. Submissions are accepted until July 20th!
    Dismiss Notice

I un-did the unthinkable...

Discussion in 'General Jeep Discussion' started by Chris, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

True, but neither would the crappy factory nav, haha.

2. bobthetj03

bobthetj03 TJ Expert
    Supporting Member Ride of the Month Winner

True. Backcountry Nav or something similar would fill in the gap.

StG58 and Chris like this.
  3. cliffish

cliffish TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

From what I remember swapping the head unit was "involved" so I just did the speakers and use a garmin.....I agree the Nav sucks....especially the chrysler one

4. Serbonze

Serbonze TJ Neophyte
    Supporting Member

I'm still waiting on pictures of his LJ!

L7XzgpDT6G21ODpLHyho_GK3A4627.jpg

JamesAndTheSahara and Kiwi TJ like this.
  5. Starrs

Starrs TJ Addict

6. JeepNWilly

JeepNWilly Jeep Addict
    Supporting Member

welcome to the family :thumbup:

7. dmr22

dmr22 TJ Enthusiast

Great looking Jeep, enjoy!! With a family, the 4 doors are tough to beat. I will probably join the dark side at some point in the future as well.

8. JeepNWilly

JeepNWilly Jeep Addict
    Supporting Member

Yup oil change, I'd say do it yourself. Don't trust anyone and if you do trust someone to do an oil change and you end up finding a huge oil pool under the Jeep someone cracked that oil filter canister :mad:

Before my recent vacation to the winter wonderland of New Hampshire I had the lifter ticking noise so took it to the dealer to get it fixed via power train warranty. They called and said an oil change needed to be done because the engine was opened. I said sure go ahead. When I picked it up I got slapped with a $72 charge for the oil change I was mad and gave them hell since I was never quoted a price but I paid and moved on. 3 weeks later We were on our vacation driving from South Florida to North Conway New Hampshire :D. Yes some of you may think I am crazy lol we have been doing that winter trip for the last 15 years or so. All was good until one morning walked out side to warm up the Jeep (it was -4 degrees) and saw a very large pool of oil under the Jeep. It was missing 2quarts. Went to the local dealer and explained the recent work that was done set an appointment for the next day to drop it off. Yup had to go get a rental. After the local dealer looked at it they found that the oil fiter canister had been cracked probably someone over tightened it. Yup the famous $72 oil change the dealer down here did while it was in for warranty work.

9. cliffish

cliffish TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

I loved having the filter on top with my JKU...ordered a bunch of wix ones from filter1.com, great surface area....just remember you are dealing with plastic and get the crud out of the threads before replacing the cap.

JeepNWilly likes this.
  10. Mon0cle

Mon0cle Member
    Supporting Member

Me - 2004 Rubicon
    Wife - 2014 JKU Sahara
    Me - "I WANT a new lift, wheels/tires, and a new bumper for my winch.
    Wife - "I'm GETTING a lift, new tires , AND WHAT WINCH!?"
    Me - "we're going to take mine to the Jeep Festival"
    Wife - "like hell we are"
    Me - "I bought it for u"
    Wife - " I birthed your three children"
    Me - "you can't use that forever"
    Wife - "I can"
    ....dual wrangler ownership and these late night discussions are not as fun as you might think.

JMT, StG58, UpperMI and 1 other person like this.
  11. JeepNWilly

JeepNWilly Jeep Addict
    Supporting Member

@Mon0cle Man I must be spoiled I don't have any of those issues.

12. TJ2

TJ2 TJ Addict

Stand your ground my man, I'm with you.
    Can't wait on who's gonna win this one :)

StG58 likes this.
  13. Mon0cle

Mon0cle Member
    Supporting Member

I'm making it sound like she's an ass. She's awesome. I'm just mad I created the monster. Every time she takes the doors off, she makes it a game to get me muddy. And she thinks MY Wrangler fund, is THE Wrangler fund.

But congrats Chris, they really are awesome with the kids. Front doors off for Mom and Dad, doors and higher sides for them for n the back. Took it to the Outer Banks NC Last Summer( 11 hour ride) with 3 in the back (8yrs,6yrs,5 yrs old)and a hitch Mount Cargo Carrier. It wasn't a minivan, but it wasn't uncomfortable. Totally worth stripping it down and taking it on the beach. Not sure what it's going to be like when they get older. Like you said, you only live once. You'll have a ball with it.

StG58 and Kathy like this.
  14. glwood

glwood TJ Expert
    Supporting Member

This is when we'll get some photos:
    hellfreeze-detail.jpg

JMT and StG58 like this.
  15. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

I backed out on the JKU. I feel bad because I gave them a down payment and was all set to fly up there and pick it up. I slept on it for a few nights though and I decided I didn’t want to go through with it. The more I thought about it, the more we don’t actuslly need it.

Can I afford it? Yes.

But do I really need two Jeeps? No.

I started thinking about having to deal with storing 4 doors in the Summer, a huge hard top, and the extra space it would take up.

Then I started thinking about how the main reason I love my TJ so much is because it’s simple. It’s two solid axles, a frame, and a tub. It’s got heat and AC, but no fancy electronics such as ABS, traction control, TPMS, etc. all things I don’t want to deal with when they act up, and things that will only make it more difficult for me to work with.

My TJ has one of the damn simplest engines ever made. The JK on the other hand has a more complex (albeit more powerful) engine, and again, I value the simplicity of the TJ. I know I don’t have to choose between them both, and this makes it sound like I am trying to. However, that’s not what this is. This is just me saying that I only need one Jeep Wrangler.

Having a JKU will empty my pockets even more with the mods, and I just don’t want to go down that path.

The JK has too many plastics, frills, bells and whistles, etc. It’s definitely off road capable, but when I think of Wranglers, I think of stripped down, basic vehicles without luxury amenities such as leather, heated seats, power windows, and more.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the JK Rubicon, but after thinking about it and driving them, they are just a bit too modern for me.

My TJ is where it’s at. I’ll take this thing to my grave. It’s the only vehicle I’ve ever owned in my life where I’m absolutely certain I’ll always have it (or if I get too old one day, my kids will).

Sorry for the false alarm guys and gals. I guess that’s what happens when I have a few days to sleep on a big decision.

The good news is the dealer refunded my money and was very friendly and understanding about me backing out. For that I’ll leave them a great review.

EJD, Kiwi TJ, JMT and 7 others like this.
  16. Starrs

Starrs TJ Addict

Now I get the splurge on the bumper lol. Wasn't adding up until now ;) 4 doors is 2 too many sir. Your tj is gonna look BA with that bumper on it. Good call

17. lowranger

lowranger TJ Addict
    Supporting Member Ride of the Month Winner

I knew you would come to your senses.

Chris likes this.
  18. glwood

glwood TJ Expert
    Supporting Member

I undid the unthinkable...
    No one would fault your decision one way or the other, seriously, but it sounds like cooler heads prevailed. Sometimes wanting newer/better/bigger overtakes reason.

Still want to see your TJ...:rolleyes:

StG58, Chris and Starrs like this.
  19. TJ2

TJ2 TJ Addict

Chris, you gained my outmost respect.

I have two TJs and still are both OEM for the same basic reason, I value it's simplicity.

Chris and Starrs like this.
  20. Starrs

Starrs TJ Addict

I do wish there was a feature where you could click on anybody's avatar and be able to see everybody's images of their jeeps. Would be kind of cool.