I un-did the unthinkable...

I do wish there was a feature where you could click on anybody's avatar and be able to see everybody's images of their jeeps. Would be kind of cool.
I like that idea. I'd have a lot more photos on here if photobucket hadn't become so greedy.

I like that idea. I'd have a lot more photos on here if photobucket hadn't become so greedy.

You don’t need to have a photobucket at all. All you have to do is upload files straight to this forum, and they will be hosted on this forum, without relying on Photobucket at all.

I undid the unthinkable...
No one would fault your decision one way or the other, seriously, but it sounds like cooler heads prevailed. Sometimes wanting newer/better/bigger overtakes reason.

Still want to see your TJ...:rolleyes:

I think I did indeed come to my senses. It’s nice to sleep on big decisions for a few days.

I’ll take photos of my TJ as soon as I get this new bumper on. You have my word, haha! Actually, I’ll just make a build thread for it since I don’t have a build thread for my new TJ!

Chris, you gained my outmost respect.

I have two TJs and still are both OEM for the same basic reason, I value it's simplicity.

That’s what I like so much about the TJ. No plastic everywhere, no electronic gizmos. Just the axles, frame, tub, and some cheap door panels, a dash, and seats. Every time I work on my TJ I’m always happy at how easy it is.

Reactions: Serbonze
Chris I was kind of thinking the same thing but who am I to tell someone how to spend their money. I had the same issues when I had my JKU...where to store all that extra stuff, I even bought (still have ) a set of the strike force zebra half doors for it. The problem, they still don't come with uppers, it was a 45 minute proposition to switch everything around and finally it took up a garage space with the full doors. The hard top is very bulky, did not really have a way to rig up a hoist in the garage so I used my forklift at work.

That is why when I shopped the TJ I focused in on a oem half door one. While I have yet to have it in spring or summer I have am having no issues in winter so far and the thought of just tossing the uppers in the back while going to work has me really excited for the nice weather.

oh and it was a third the price!

Reactions: Chris
Chris I was kind of thinking the same thing but who am I to tell someone how to spend their money. I had the same issues when I had my JKU...where to store all that extra stuff, I even bought (still have ) a set of the strike force zebra half doors for it. The problem, they still don't come with uppers, it was a 45 minute proposition to switch everything around and finally it took up a garage space with the full doors. The hard top is very bulky, did not really have a way to rig up a hoist in the garage so I used my forklift at work.

That is why when I shopped the TJ I focused in on a oem half door one. While I have yet to have it in spring or summer I have am having no issues in winter so far and the thought of just tossing the uppers in the back while going to work has me really excited for the nice weather.

oh and it was a third the price!

Yes, that’s one of the things I really started thinking about. Where I would store everything, and how much of a hassle it would be to get everything off.

My TJ takes 2 minutes to get the doors off and with my hoist I can get the hard top off in about 5 minutes. My TJ doors are probably a lot lighter too being as though they don’t have power windows and they’re pretty thin in comparison to the JK doors.

I do like the JKs, I just think they probably aren’t for me. Like I said, all the electronics and accessories turn me off. I don’t want power windows, power door locks, TPMS, etc.

I look at the Wrangler as more of a toy vehicle than a every day family vehicle. And with a toy off-road vehicle, I want it to me simple.

Oh, and I agree on the price. Ugh... 34k was just too much. I paid 17k for my TJ Rubicon with 47k miles and no rust!

I agree, if I did not have a fallback vehicle for distance travel (2014 Explorer) I probably would not have the TJ either...I do DD drive it, but for anything that requires family travel or I have to go through NYC I use the Exploder

I agree, if I did not have a fallback vehicle for distance travel (2014 Explorer) I probably would not have the TJ either...I do DD drive it, but for anything that requires family travel or I have to go through NYC I use the Exploder

If I was single with no kids, I’d definitely daily drive my TJ. However, with a wife and 2 kids, there’s no way that would ever work. But even if I was single, I still think I’d have a second vehicle like our Outback just got better fuel economy and more comfort on long road trips.

My favorite thing about the TJ is how basic and utilitarian it is. It’s kind of like having a CJ, but adding the few modern features you really want, such as coil springs and fuel injection.

Reactions: lowranger
I backed out on the JKU. I feel bad because I gave them a down payment and was all set to fly up there and pick it up. I slept on it for a few nights though and I decided I didn’t want to go through with it. The more I thought about it, the more we don’t actuslly need it.

Can I afford it? Yes.

But do I really need two Jeeps? No.

I started thinking about having to deal with storing 4 doors in the Summer, a huge hard top, and the extra space it would take up.

Then I started thinking about how the main reason I love my TJ so much is because it’s simple. It’s two solid axles, a frame, and a tub. It’s got heat and AC, but no fancy electronics such as ABS, traction control, TPMS, etc. all things I don’t want to deal with when they act up, and things that will only make it more difficult for me to work with.

My TJ has one of the damn simplest engines ever made. The JK on the other hand has a more complex (albeit more powerful) engine, and again, I value the simplicity of the TJ. I know I don’t have to choose between them both, and this makes it sound like I am trying to. However, that’s not what this is. This is just me saying that I only need one Jeep Wrangler.

Having a JKU will empty my pockets even more with the mods, and I just don’t want to go down that path.

The JK has too many plastics, frills, bells and whistles, etc. It’s definitely off road capable, but when I think of Wranglers, I think of stripped down, basic vehicles without luxury amenities such as leather, heated seats, power windows, and more.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the JK Rubicon, but after thinking about it and driving them, they are just a bit too modern for me.

My TJ is where it’s at. I’ll take this thing to my grave. It’s the only vehicle I’ve ever owned in my life where I’m absolutely certain I’ll always have it (or if I get too old one day, my kids will).

Sorry for the false alarm guys and gals. I guess that’s what happens when I have a few days to sleep on a big decision.

The good news is the dealer refunded my money and was very friendly and understanding about me backing out. For that I’ll leave them a great review.

This is further proof that you should never go near a dealership after taking a hit of meth! Glad you sobered up![emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was single with no kids, I’d definitely daily drive my TJ. However, with a wife and 2 kids, there’s no way that would ever work. But even if I was single, I still think I’d have a second vehicle like our Outback just got better fuel economy and more comfort on long road trips.

My favorite thing about the TJ is how basic and utilitarian it is. It’s kind of like having a CJ, but adding the few modern features you really want, such as coil springs and fuel injection.
I daily my tj now. I only drive 10 miles/day roughly tho lol so it's nothing.

I wish I could do that! But with the kids usually always being with me, it’s not that easy.

And wait till they get into sports, dance, gymnastics, you will be everywhere, at one point when my son was about 14 he was on 3 different baseball teams and I did the book for all of them.....at least 5 evenings per week in the dugout.

Last edited:
I agree TJs are simple to work on, but as far a new vehicles go, JKs seem easier to work on than most new vehicles made today.

You might be talking about the basic maintenance like oil change and brake pads, right?

I swear, I helped a lot of JK guys on their rigs and it is way complicated to upgrade than the TJs. The tub, the suspension, the engine bay, the wiring, the exhaust, the trans, the cam shaft, I can name a few more....

My TJs? I can put my two feet inside the engine bay and still can work on the pump and heating core.

You might be talking about the basic maintenance like oil change and brake pads, right?

I swear, I helped a lot of JK guys on their rigs and it is way complicated to upgrade than the TJs. The tub, the suspension, the engine bay, the wiring, the exhaust, the trans, the cam shaft, I can name a few more....

My TJs? I can put my two feet inside the engine bay and still can work on the pump and heating core.

I'm not saying it's easier than my TJ, but even washing the inside of the windshield on a Jk is easier than it was on our Journey.
And I could still replace the engine with my cherry picker on the JK if I had to.

Your kids will grow up, move out, and you and your wife can go on TJ adventures, and you'll be able to DD every day. While a 4 door SUV or minivan has its place with your family dynamic, they can become soul sucking machines, so keeping the TJ around helps fill the tank, so to speak. you know what I'm saying.

Reactions: Chris and Starrs