I want to add a subwoofer to my TJ, but which one?

cantdrv55

My TJ did not come with a sub so I want to add it. Ive replaced all your speakers and also the head unit but it ain't got no bass. If you've added a sub, which one did you get? Powered sub or just the speaker?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Happy with what I did, but takes a bit of fab work to the center console. I sealed the center console and added an 8" slimeline sub to the console enclosure, then added a small amp to power it. Have a thread somewhere here on it.

Reactions: cantdrv55
My TJ did not come with a sub so I want to add it. Ive replaced all your speakers and also the head unit but it ain't got no bass. If you've added a sub, which one did you get? Powered sub or just the speaker?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I installed this: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8...a&awnw=g&awcr=48387319825&awdv=m&awug=9003555

Never looked back since. Sounds awesome. Full and percussive without being overbearing. The reviews speak volumes. Order the wiring kit from Crutchfield. You'll need it.
1c0d59c0f9bda3e137bf8be496860282.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WHBNM and Mxbundy
I installed this: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8...a&awnw=g&awcr=48387319825&awdv=m&awug=9003555

Never looked back since. Sounds awesome. Full and percussive without being overbearing. The reviews speak volumes. Order the wiring kit from Crutchfield. You'll need it.
View attachment 21838

I just ordered that set up, can’t wait to see how it sounds. Did you remove the plastic insert for the console? Or did you cut it up and modify it?

Thanks!

What did you do for wiring the sub/amp? I have a TJ that doesn't have a factory sub. I purchased a used console that has one and am trying to hook it up. There is no plug underneath the console I can plug into...
Is there a harness I can buy that will plug right into the sub-box??

Cool, the easiest way would be to get am amp and upgrade the subwoofer that is in the factory box. I used a cheap amp, Soundsotrm SMCM200, 40.00 bucks from amazon and a 6.5" kicker sub, 69.99 from amazon. This upgrade gives good base but will not shake the windows.
The factory AMP is not all that strong and it takes input from all four speakers, since you do not have that part of the factory harness it would be quite a job to wire it up.
There are a lot of posts about stero upgrades, here is one:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/aftermarket-subwoofer-replacement-for-factory-subwoofer.10137/

Reactions: CryptoYeets
No upgraded pioneer MVH-X381BT

View attachment 74808

Form a quick look at this head unit, it does not have any pre-amp RCA outputs, and is a 4 channel head unit that can send 4 signals to 4 speakers, or, 2 signals to 2 speakers and bridge the other 2 channels into 1 channel for more power into a subwoofer.

Since you currently have 4 speakers and want to add a subwoofer you would have to eliminate 2 current speakers to add a subwoofer.

If you want a subwoofer the easiest/cheapest would be to buy a new head unit with preamp outputs. Then you need to buy and amplifier and the speaker itself, plus cables and wires to connect and power up the speaker and amplifier.

I believe this is accurate but others may chime in with other solutions.

Cool, the easiest way would be to get am amp and upgrade the subwoofer that is in the factory box. I used a cheap amp, Soundsotrm SMCM200, 40.00 bucks from amazon and a 6.5" kicker sub, 69.99 from amazon. This upgrade gives good base but will not shake the windows.
The factory AMP is not all that strong and it takes input from all four speakers, since you do not have that part of the factory harness it would be quite a job to wire it up.
There are a lot of posts about stero upgrades, here is one:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/aftermarket-subwoofer-replacement-for-factory-subwoofer.10137/

Check out the manual to his head unit, I dont think it can support this. Haven't seen or used a head unit like this before...curious to hear what others say.

Yes, the manual states that it has rear outputs for a subwoofer. Even if it did not one can tap off the rear speaker wires for high input (the instruction even show how this is to be done also). See attached photo, I have circled the RCA jack for the sub-out
MVH-X381BT rear.jpg
pioneer head unit.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the manual states that it has rear outputs for a subwoofer. Even if it did not one can tap off the rear speaker wires for high input (the instruction even show how this is to be done also). See attached photo, I have circled the RCA jack for the sub-outView attachment 74813View attachment 74810

I did see that, and converts the two channels from two 4ohm channels at 50 watt max, to one 2ohm channel at 70 watts, but we are only talking signal and not amplification, correct?

In any event, are you saying to use those rear outputs to send the signal to an amplifier, which then will power the subwoofer? So @SilverTJR will need an amplifer and subwoofer to complete his project, plus cables?

Yes the OP will need an amp, subwoofer and cables. Or one can connect up the sub directly but as you said it would not be amped.

If the OP uses both the low level (RCA) and high level rear outputs, will that draw too much power and potentially fry the internal amp if the correct speaker combination (watts/ohms) are not used?

No, the head unit is designed to operate with four speakers as well as low level output turned on. Now if you go connecting up a bunch of speakers then I am sure you will clip the internal amp.
But the OP had a question on how to incorporate the factory sub that came with his center console, so just add an amp, using the RCA output of the head unit and an upgraded sub and it will sound pretty dang good.

Reactions: skrelnik
No, the head unit is designed to operate with four speakers as well as low level output turned on. Now if you go connecting up a bunch of speakers then I am sure you will clip the internal amp.
But the OP had a question on how to incorporate the factory sub that came with his center console, so just add an amp, using the RCA output of the head unit and an upgraded sub and it will sound pretty dang good.

Yeah he needs an amplifier else he runs the risk of trying the internal amp. I wanted to stress that point that he should use an amplifier to power the sub.

Reactions: Airjunky
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.