I want to add a subwoofer to my TJ, but which one?

Cool so you guys sold me on the under rear seat sub mount.

Two options you presented:
  1. Sound Ordinance, 125W, $170, 1000+ reviews. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-kLn58SFUO8U/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html.
  2. RF 8", 150W, $254. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y3WKUX8/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I'm leaning toward the SW and i like the gain knob you can remote mount also. I'm always all about ease of integration, i like the mounting feet on the SO which will allow me to make a nice mount under the rear seat.
There is also the Kicker version. I'm sure it's fantastic.

https://www.hifisoundconnection.com...6GNZcIbjlVxOE5XqzTgtlZGovPzN2Cv8aAstAEALw_wcB

GOt a link for your lockable console? I want to make one out of aluminum.

I didn’t finish that project, I couldn’t find a front half of a console I liked enough. It was just a large ammo can with a cut where the e brake is. Then you can do any number of locks.

check out @jjvw’s build thread, I think he has a fully thought out and implemented one.

I just ordered that set up, can’t wait to see how it sounds. Did you remove the plastic insert for the console? Or did you cut it up and modify it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I pulled mine out and installed on top of the console lip. That gave enough clearance for the sub and can still use the tray.

I do not have the factory sub.
Just looking at his picture, cant tell how he mounted that one, or it just floats around?

Lendon
I posted some pics and details in a "replacing factory subwoofer" thread on here somewhere. Mine is tightly wedged in the console, under the tray and doesn't rattle. Still working great, sounds really good and tight. If you choose this route get the wiring kit from Crutchfield and some campershell adhesive backed weather striping.

• Wow
Reactions: Paparock1 and JMT
So many to choose from nowadays. When I got mine, (almost 5 years now? Cant recall) Crutchfield’s was the best option for the center console. The Kenwood looks nice but mine is still going strong- knock on wood.

I will say, my original Sound Ordinance sub stopped working within warranty but Crutchfield sent me another, without question. They’ve been an excellent source, in my experience.

This is an older link but the topic comes up often. I just want to include a warning to the powered sub woofer listed below. I loved it until it decided to go inferno. Just one day it stopped working as I was driving. I check the fuse and it was blown and the unit was warm to touch as it normally is. I replaced the fuse and that is when it decided to go nuclear. It got so hot so fast that I could not touch it. I am glad I did not have it in a seat or near anything flammable. Mine is in a ammo can center console. I went with a Cerwin Vega replacement.

one other story about Rockville amps. A guy I work with said when he was in high school him and his friend came out of class and smoke was rolling out his friends car windows. They ran over opened the doors but could not find the source. They opened the trunk where the amp was mounted and it was in nuclear mode. The guy said he reached down and grabbed all the wires and ripped them out of it. When I first bought mine the same guy told me to watch it as in about 1 to 2 years they go bad. Anyway, just my review and word of caution.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...rofile Active Powered Car Subwoofer Sub

Reactions: CreepinDeth
I ordered this sub for my Jeep as well
Did you place yours back inside the console?

Yes, but you have to first remove the entire factory casing, attached inside the console, that holds the factory sub. Ultimately, the console will be an open area that allows you to fit the Crutchfield sub.

This is an older link but the topic comes up often. I just want to include a warning to the powered sub woofer listed below. I loved it until it decided to go inferno. Just one day it stopped working as I was driving. I check the fuse and it was blown and the unit was warm to touch as it normally is. I replaced the fuse and that is when it decided to go nuclear. It got so hot so fast that I could not touch it. I am glad I did not have it in a seat or near anything flammable. Mine is in a ammo can center console. I went with a Cerwin Vega replacement.

one other story about Rockville amps. A guy I work with said when he was in high school him and his friend came out of class and smoke was rolling out his friends car windows. They ran over opened the doors but could not find the source. They opened the trunk where the amp was mounted and it was in nuclear mode. The guy said he reached down and grabbed all the wires and ripped them out of it. When I first bought mine the same guy told me to watch it as in about 1 to 2 years they go bad. Anyway, just my review and word of caution.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...rofile Active Powered Car Subwoofer Sub

Did it fit well under the back seat? Any ideas what happened to it? Maybe some kind of internal short that kept the power on continuously?

I wonder if I could fit this under the back seat but hook it up to a spare amp I have around. It's the only one I've seen that looks like it might fit well under the back seat.

Did it fit well under the back seat? Any ideas what happened to it? Maybe some kind of internal short that kept the power on continuously?

I wonder if I could fit this under the back seat but hook it up to a spare amp I have around. It's the only one I've seen that looks like it might fit well under the back seat.

I’ll preach this till I sell my TJ: the center console is the best stash space for a self-powered sub. Unless you wheel in deep water and mud, But then you may not even care about a stereo or Jeep audio.

Reactions: WHBNM
I’ll preach this till I sell my TJ: the center console is the best stash space for a self-powered sub. Unless you wheel in deep water and mud, But then you may not even care about a stereo or Jeep audio.

My Jeep didnt come with a center console sub. I'd need to replace the center console. Have you compared some of the other sub locations to the center console sub? If so, which subs and locations?

Thanks @moab.
Here are a few pics after 2 years. PS-8 running strong. Completely out of the way. My console is full of Armor All wipes, scruncii’s, toilet paper and beer koozies. Why ruin that space when you can save it and put your sub in an unused space?
View attachment 119449

View attachment 119450

View attachment 119451

This looks like the best option to me… how did you wire it in, and can you connect it to the factory radio or do you need to upgrade the head unit? Thanks!

This looks like the best option to me… how did you wire it in, and can you connect it to the factory radio or do you need to upgrade the head unit? Thanks!

There are three wires running to the sub. One is power from the battery. One is remote turn on from behind the head unit. One is signal through the RCA’s. Then you have a ground from the amp to a nearby ground.

I used an aftermarket head unit, but I believe you can wire it online rather than use the RCA’s. I do recommend getting a new head unit.

For reference,

I used the Rockville 10” noted previously in this thread

I mounted.2 strips of oak to my rear gate, and the amp to the strips. I ran power to a distribution block under my console that feeds the amp I put where the factory turd sub was, it hops off that to also feed the sub

This also has phone wire 4 pack with RJ-11 terminations to a control knob on my dash. My entire setup is aftermarket incl headunit

unr8D5Z.jpg

this is under the rear console, 4ch 400w RMS amp

XIThaQt.jpg

you can see my bass control knob with the blue light center lower dash
QpsEtop.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: skrelnik