I want to regear and add lockers

I have a 6 speed 2005 Jeep tj running 35inch tires with a dana 30 in the front and dana 35 in rear 3.07 current axle ratio. I do mostly highway driving, but do hit the trail when i can. i also live in Canada so the winters often give me a 4x4 playground. What would i need to regear to 4.56 and add lockers. I upgraded my 27t front axles to chromoly axles when i did the lift also 27t just a stronger axle. what kinda things should i add to my list.

Any combination of these axles will work for your 35 in tires, 4.56 gearing & lockers.

Front:
  • Dana 30 as is or upgraded with 30 spline chromoly shafts;
  • Dana 44;
Rear:
  • Super 35 rear (which is your current axle with 30 spline shafts added);
  • Dana 44 stock, from a Rubicon, or with upgraded chromoly shafts;
  • Ford 8.8
You didn’t ask about your gearing but are you sure 4.56 is the best ratio for your tire size & transmission? I don’t know what the answer is, but before pulling the trigger on this kind of build I’d confirm that you’re gearing it correctly. If it turns out you need lower gearing that might impact the Dana 30 up front, another thing I’m not sure of is how low you can gear one of those before you need to move to a Dana 44.

Reactions: GabeSpeakeasy
4:88 , that is like 4:56 Canadian .

That was funny.

The forum regearing committee meets the 20th , and all the Canadian entries get reviewed first , be sure to fill out the forms and get them in by the 10th.

You WILL LOVE the new gears .

Highly recommend selectable lockers for a rig that will see a lot of street/highway time. Especially street winter conditions.

Reactions: DrDmoney
What re gearing comittee?

I run 35's with 4.88 gears and the 5 speed, much better than whatever the stock ratio was, I can actually put it in fifth now. You're going to need selectable lockers front and rear and be willing to spend a good deal of cash.

I believe i have a dana 30 in front and dana 35 in back can anyone confirm i was looking up the specs for rocky mounitain edition, but its saying i have a 44 in the back. I also check for the tags for ratio but i must've forgot to put em back on when i resealed them.

20190303_175305.jpg

20190303_175345.jpg

i also live in Canada so the winters
Canada is pretty big, can you add a Province, City to your profile.
Vancouver, Winnipeg, St Johns.

Even knowing wether you are in Tumbler Ridge or Melfort will change gearing recommendations dramatically. But 35s, highway driving, 4.56 is a pretty safe choice in Manitoba.

Last edited:
I live in Calgary, Alberta just moved here but i often drive back and forth to Thunder Bay, Ontario about 2100km away. Thankyou for the info on the rear dana its always a good thing to find out you got a better diff than you thought.