I was just offered an insane amount of money for my house

astjp2

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
I got an unsolicited call from a realtor today, I paid $186K for my house 7 years ago, she offered $430K, sight unseen...She knew my phone number, the address, details of the house, I can walk away with about $300K free and clear...that is some serious money in my world. I may take it but I am hope its not a scam...my wife and I are currently discussing it.

I got an unsolicited call from a realtor today, I paid $186K for my house 7 years ago, she offered $430K, sight unseen...She knew my phone number, the address, details of the house, I can walk away with about $300K free and clear...that is some serious money in my world. I may take it but I am hope its not a scam...my wife and I are currently discussing it.
Just understand if the market has risen that much you will need to spend even more to replace it. We did the exact same thing in Yellowknife, bought for $170K, spent $40K on upgrades, sold 8 years later for $382K. But we moved 2000 miles south and bought in a new market.

It is only a windfall if you move to a depressed market. I'd keep it if I was not leaving the state.

Go to your nearest realtor and find out how much you have to spend to move.

Just understand if the market has risen that much you will need to spend even more to replace it. We did the exact same thing in Yellowknife, bought for $170K, spent $40K on upgrades, sold 8 years later for $382K. But we moved 2000 miles south and bought in a new market.

It is only a windfall if you move to a depressed market. I'd keep it if I was not leaving the state.

Go to your nearest realtor and find out how much you have to spend to move.
I am willing to move, not sure if the wife is yet or not. The phone number had only 1 listing as a scammer, so its either a newly used number or its legit.

I'd be all over that if it's legit. Make sure you do your homework and vet the deal VERY thoroughly, as real estate scams are very, very common. Make sure the money is in escrow, Google the name of the company, people involved, etc.

If it is indeed legit, to get out of your house with 300k would be a great deal. You could move somewhere cheaper and come out on top. Just be sure to take into consideration closing fees and everything. That stuff can add up to be quite a bit.

Also, if they are that eager to buy it, I would try to haggle with them a bit. Try a counter of 445k just to see.

There is 5 acres behind me that they cannot develop with my house here, I think they want it to tear down, I have an acre in a town that the large lots are .5 or less and those homes go for $450+ and I am 2000 sqft on one level.

There is 5 acres behind me that they cannot develop with my house here, I think they want it to tear down, I have an acre in a town that the large lots are .5 or less and those homes go for $450+ and I am 2000 sqft on one level.
Well that put some legitimacy to the deal. Just have an attorney handle the entire transaction and verifies the funds. I would move in minute for that...even if it is around the corner. Or if you might leave the area soon, just rent for now.

Reactions: JMT
Might be a scam, or it might be worth even more and they are trying to steal it! Make sure you check things out carefully and find out what is going on and why.

Reactions: astjp2
It was a lady, she said her name and company name but I didn't write it down. This is sudden and threw me for a loop. My house is not really special considering the McMansions next door are multistory on small lots and mine is one level. I also have a 24x44' detached garage. If I move, I will be near @toximus. I need some help with my jeep!

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01
We've seen this happen in our neighborhood a couple times. The Califonians come in throwing cash around & blowing up the prices. Great if your a seller. Maybe not if your the #2 bidder & have to have a loan, or contingency or any hurdle of any kind. Thats a pretty big windfall though.

Do your homework & make sure it's legit. If your not confident in handling it, get a real estate attorney or realtor to go thru it with you. Remember that you have like a year or 18 months to roll that money into another place before capital gains taxes kick in.

Reactions: B252
We've seen this happen in our neighborhood a couple times. The Califonians come in throwing cash around & blowing up the prices. Great if your a seller. Maybe not if your the #2 bidder & have to have a loan, or contingency or any hurdle of any kind. Thats a pretty big windfall though.

Do your homework & make sure it's legit. If your not confident in handling it, get a real estate attorney or realtor to go thru it with you. Remember that you have like a year or 18 months to roll that money into another place before capital gains taxes kick in.
Yeah, but I was not selling, I like my house but money talks. I just installed a 180 square foot master bath.

Reactions: Airjunky
How do you look that up? I went to the website and it wants to sell me a home or for me to buy one.
Go to zillow.com punch in your address and it will give a "zestimate". You have the option to also create an account and under the owners view can edit details.

Reactions: Starrs
Yeah, but I was not selling, I like my house but money talks. I just installed a 180 square foot master bath.
You weren't... but now, who knows! Consider it an opportunity to do or get into something bigger, better, whatever.

We're considering a move. Currently have a house on shared waterfront. Thinkin we might like to have like 5 acres with a shop &/or shophouse on it. I'd be seriously considering a deal like yours.