I4 reliability?

Hey chris from my understanding iv noticed you all prefer autos over manuals for off-roading around here. Iv been passing up a very very clean 98 SE with only 110k miles with the 2.5l engine but its auto. Just how much worse is the auto compared to the manual in all reality. Like iv stated wont see much highway use. 30 miles a month and when i go fishing even tho i take back roads most the time and spend very little time on the high way

If I had a 4 banger I would only buy it in a manual. I say that because with those 4 bangers you need to really be able to control the RPMs much more than you need to with a 6 cylinder.

I don't know if anyone on here has a 4 banger with an auto, but I would avoid the auto on a 4 banger personally. It's already underpowered, and the auto is just going to make it worse. With the manual you can at least control where it shirts.

The only reason I like the auto better on the 6 cylinder is because it gives me one less thing to think about when I'm in a sticky situation off road. I'm not trying to juggle between three pedals in other words.

If you ever watch any of the hardcore guys who do the big time rock crawling, all of those rigs are autos. When you're in that sort of a situation it's damn hard to be feathering the clutch and trying to manage the gas and brake at the same time.

Reactions: JP13
Well guys think I'll be pulling the trigger on a 92 yj 2.5 5 speed with 155k miles in the morning. Went and looked at it this evening it needs some TLC but nothing major at all other than soft top being beat up.

I know it's not a tj hope y'all don't hate me lol but seems practical at the moment for me. I think 3-5 years from now maybee even sooner I'll get a really clean low mile tj to call my own.

Well guys think I'll be pulling the trigger on a 92 yj 2.5 5 speed with 155k miles in the morning. Went and looked at it this evening it needs some TLC but nothing major at all other than soft top being beat up.
I know it's not a tj hope y'all don't hate me lol but seems practical at the moment for me. I think 3-5 years from now maybe even sooner I'll get a really clean low mile tj to call my own.

WHAAAAAAATTTTT????!!!! Damn leaf springer. You are banished!!!!! :D:D:D

Congrats. A Jeep is better than no Jeep. Post up some pics when you get it.

Reactions: Chris

Please post up the pictures as soon as you get a chance. I'll match up what I can do with my leaf sprung CJ against any coil sprung wrangler out there.

Haha defo will do guys :D. So far what i know about it is that he has the original purchase receipt he bought it for him self and drove it as a commuter for work and camping for about 5 years before giving it to his daughter who drove it up untill about a year ago and gave it back to him. So its been a 2 owner 1 family vehicle its whole life. I really dont think its seen any serious abuse and alot of high way miles commuting surprisingly since its a 2.5l. Even tho its not a TJ i hope to stick around the forums guys :)

I know the AC is'nt working, tires are pretty bald and the heater only blows through defroster. Other than that i couldnt find much wrong with it and its very rust free. The top will need replaced soon just old not torn or anything

I think some of the auto's came with 4.56 gears. My SE is a manual, but I think it does just fine. Even on the highway. It just doesn't like hills and weight.

What the heck, if it doesn't work out, rattle can it pink and sell it in 'Frisco for a profit...:)

Any Jeep is OK. As long as it's not Yellow. Then you risk raising the ire of @FF_Jeep and @Jay ;-)

Dom, here's my advice:

If you upgrade to oversized tires, buy 5 not just 4. Because if your spare isn't compatible with the others you'll not only have to limp it home crooked like a lop sided boob job... that little spare will also turn your Jeep yellow.

Instagram-c61be0.png

Dom, here's my advice:

If you upgrade to oversized tires, buy 5 not just 4. Because if your spare isn't compatible with the others you'll not only have to limp it home crooked like a lop sided boob job... that little spare will also turn your Jeep yellow.

View attachment 9339[/
Haha I might mount a trailer spare after swing this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JP13
You know you can always fly/drive out of state to purchase a rig cheaper and drive it back.

Lots of people do that around here.

You know you can always fly/drive out of state to purchase a rig cheaper and drive it back.
Lots of people do that around here.

In the VW world, Arizona is considered the best place to buy without rust problems. Lots of TJ's SE 4-cyl's to pick from $5500 - 8500. And that's just what's on the lots. Private sales can be cheaper.

Not surprising at all. I lived in Arizona for a number of years and the majority of cars there are rust free and very clean.

Not surprising at all. I lived in Arizona for a number of years and the majority of cars there are rust free and very clean.
I agree. I lived in AZ for 8 years and when I first moved there from the east coast, I thought I'd gone back in time. Cars I'd only seen in magazines or museums were daily drivers. You can find some good cars in Eastern Washington, Montana and Wyoming as well.