IAC valve?

Ted

TJ Enthusiast
OK. I was going to clean it yesterday or buy a new one to replace it. It isn't like the ones others have posted here. There is no bolts/screws holding it on. Maybe pressed in? I have searched and only found a pic of what it looks like. I tried to remove it but didn't succeed. Anyone else have this type?

iac.jpg

Screw is located on the passenger side underneath and will actually come out with the unit itself.
I had to use a torx screw driver and feel for it, then use pliers on the screw driver to break it free.
Surprisingly you'll find not much to really clean, very different from what I've seen posted here as you noted.

Screw is located on the passenger side underneath and will actually come out with the unit itself.
I had to use a torx screwdriver and feel for it, then use pliers on the screwdriver to break it free.
Surprisingly you'll find not much to really clean, very different from what I've seen posted here as you noted.

I have to head back to the shop and do my ebrakes. Can't get in till 11 on Sunday.I will attempt it again. I wonder if I should just replace it?

I wondered that myself.
Either way, once you familiarize yourself with the location of the screw.....it's a 5 minute job.

Clean it by spraying throttle body cleaner into the TB with engine idling. The IAC will suck the cleaner in through itself only at idle rpms so make sure not to rev the engine while cleaning the IAC. When the engine dies from the cleaner flooding the IAC, that is normal so just restart it. Use 1/3 to 1/2 can there and the IAC will be spotless. Once you have done that, rev the engine to higher rpms and empty the rest of the cleaner into the interior of the TB.

Last edited:
Clean it by spraying throttle body cleaner into the TB with engine idling. The IAC will suck the cleaner in through itself only at idle rpms so make sure not to rev the engine while cleaning the IAC. When the engine dies from the cleaner flooding the IAC, that is normal so just restart it. Use 1/3 to 1/2 can there and the IAC will be spotless. Once you have done that, rev the engine to higher rpms and empty the rest of the cleaner into the interior of the TB.

Thanks Jerry > I will do it that way