I'd like to see your off road light setup

I just put these lights in my bumper tonight. They are floodlights I had in our old WK as backup lights. I kind of like the look I didn't think I would but thought since I'll likely get a new bumper soon I might as well try it out.

IMG_9046-2.jpg

Reactions: Bud125 and Ephry73
I just put these lights in my bumper tonight. They are floodlights I had in our old WK as backup lights. I kind of like the look I didn't think I would but thought since I'll likely get a new bumper soon I might as well try it out.

View attachment 226187
Man it is beautiful there and the red doors actually look good on that LJR.

Rigid LED spots on the windshield, Rigid LED floods on the bumper, I plan to get trucklite headlights too. So far, just the rigids give me more than enough light. And IMO look way better than a light bar
A428F988-E32E-4331-990C-878FD1B0D71D.jpeg

D7D606B0-1980-491E-ADD1-045001EA20EC.jpeg

I have some cheap Hella yellow fog lights from eBay on the factory wiring, Quadratec 4 inch spot lights on the cowl. I wanted something a little smaller than the usual 6 inch ones. Beamtech H4 LED bulbs in Hella E-code housings for headlights. Simple, but happy with all of them.

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG

Last edited:
I’m running Pro Comp 7” headlights & KC Highlights C20 (20”) LED light bar with a spot/spread combo beam. If I were starting over, I would probably use a smaller light bar because I believe it would look better, but this 20” bar came off of my big F-350 before I sold it. It puts out some really great light & I’m getting used to the size of it & how it looks on the Jeep.

A6617F24-21CB-49EE-97D1-BA5DEDBC08A3.jpeg

AAA1D840-9FE4-400B-A237-05DDB164F72B.png

CD163C3F-7997-449D-8CCC-40C2521B61CA.jpeg

F804EAD4-7B26-4EAC-9A75-85F00B5DCCAE.jpeg

6F75196D-C7D6-410D-87DC-B47BB3B815D8.jpeg

I have Rugged Ridge spots on the A pillar. I wouldn't run anything other than spots there for daily driving. In NY is not very legal to run spots anywhere anyways unless solely for off-roading.

I have a set of KC LED spot cubes on the way to replace the Rugged Ridge 3" Cubes I currently have (amber background lights with spot bean pattern)and currently running KC G34 driving pattern In the center just below the line of the headlights.

I will run KC G34 Wide 40 LEDs on the outer part of the bumper(these wide-40 replace a set of Rigid Dually Flood Cubes I had for a week) Just want to have the most light output up front and keep it legal.

The Rigid Lights are crazy bright and project more than the KCs, but I was also getting a lot of cars flashing me with them on. Westchester county drivers I guess.

The Rugged Ridge cubes are extremely bright and almost at the same level as the Rigid units, although the light is not as white, more of a blue hint and the spot is not as perfectly concentrated as the KC spots, which are a smaller beam and white

I have a set of JW headlights to install this weekend. Will also upgrade to the K Suspension H4 harness. I want to make sure I get as much clear and bright lights up front as possible. I also like my lights to be on the lower temperature side. Easier on my eyes. Once I have the setup completed I will post. Three separate switches to operate the lights as well. Running the KC Wide 40s with the stock Fog switch, KC driving pattern off a separate one and the A pillar Spots on a third switch.

I also have Laminx Yellow film on the KCs up front
Since this post, I changed the setup a bit. I have 4" KC LZR led Spotters on the A pillars. I made some lexam and Lamin-X yellow film covers for the yellow light output. These are round and smaller than the KC G34 (4x3')Driving units I had on the A pillars (tried different setups) The KC G34 Wide 40 Driving lights below the headlights right on the winch mount.

I really enjoy the light output and this fills the road quite nicely with the headlights I currently have. Small enough that they don't call for attention of law enforcement and bright enough to easily and realistically reach 200-300 plus yards at least. Bright on the side and ditch area and bright straight ahead. I happen to like the 3000k or so yellow output, it is easier on my eyes and I like how the details seem more easy to spot up ahead.

9A2D48AE-40DC-44A2-9119-4C3FE5F1A3D3.jpeg

Last edited:
That's me on the A pillar plus 3 up front and 2 6" kC driving lights with open covers and my 06 has the skin crawler bumper with 3 round 3.5 inch led and two 4" driving lights ...very effective. I'm adding interior tiny LEDs to light the switch bank unless I get a brainstorm for another way.

i use my rear auxiliary lights too.

@Hog might help me with some pics of mine because he's my buddy.
EF51EB8E-0029-4116-AAF7-D16F415E3184.jpeg

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
My LJ is currently off the road while I do some work to it. Some of that has included adding some LED's flood lights to the front bumper to replace the original lights, a pair of LED spot lights on the pillars and an LED flood to the rear of the roof rack. I have a pair of LED floods on the rear bumper and will be relocating them to shoot straight out each side of the Jeep for general camp purpose.

20-11-06 1.jpg

21-01-21 2.JPG

2021-01-17 12.36.07.jpg

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I've been playing around with different light setups. I'll tell you my preferences so far, but I don't have pics because everything is in flux.

I like relatively low yellow/amber lights. I hate the hood light because that really bright high kelvin number reflects back into my eyes. I have not had a good pod light, but I could see this being an issue, unless they're aimed more away from the Jeep, or you've got a tight beam pattern. For these I'd probably go relatively high kelvin with amber covers in nasty weather. I'll probably run a smallish lightbar on the roof rack point forward because of going through fields, sometimes the brush hampers your lights from working.

I will probably add some left, right and rear lighting at some point too. Definitely some rear lighting to help with backing up and hooking/unhooking up trailers.

Cost doesn't necessarily mean quality, but it basically does, so it's fine to play around with cheap lights (which I've done). I've got many many lights and I've probably spent under $200 playing around with them, but in almost every case I'm going to end up with high end lights replacing those, except maybe the rear. Some of these small high end lights are twice the light of the cheap ones, but more exponentially more expensive.

I think the only area, I really think is a big deal are the headlights and the fog lights. I like bright headlights and good amber fog lights, which will really give you the best starting point IMO. I have the really cheap LED headlights and they are fine, it's more of a really poor beam pattern, but still blew away my previous halogens. I went with high end LED for my wife's car and it's like driving a different car at night. I wish I had done both sooner. Neither were originally bright enough to travel many roads. The wife's car was completely OEM, but you could only see about 20 ft in front of you which isn't good enough at night or weather. The Jeep was probably more of an adjustment thing, but I didn't really understand that until I replaced with LEDs.

Btw I've had cheap LED pod lights and compared to my Warn halogen lights, I never knew my Warn lights were on, though that color is probably better in bad weather or dust.

Chinese Amazon leds. Original lights were very dim and I couldn’t see at night. Adjusted them and they do the job wonderfully. Originally $130 and got these on a prime day sale for $68 shipped.

E68CA072-3046-4725-B14C-C16955E67990.png

CBDF0347-6192-45E9-BC48-212F376367DF.jpeg

50B8534B-7FCD-4B6A-9876-856E00048ED5.jpeg

I have a set of Hella 6" Spots on KC- A pillar, factory fog and Hella spots on bar with high beams switch. This works great for daily driver and Snow Plowing driveway.

Lights  3_27_21 .jpg

Reactions: Claybirdd
This is my set-up: Hella 6" spots on KC A pillar, factory fog, Hella spots on bumper bar - switched with high beams.

Lights  3_27_21 .jpg

Reactions: Nickgsjeep and Irun
Pro Comp LED headlights & a 20” KC Highlights light bar in the front bumper. I used this light bar because I took if off of my big F:5” before I sold the truck. I probably would have bought a slightly smaller bar, but zi had this one & it works great!

88830364-570D-4B06-A384-2D0436DDBBC8.jpeg

37A9237F-D761-4AF8-BF43-14ECF7116903.jpeg