Montana TJ Unlimited parts magnet

• Thread starter Cross-Threaded-06TJ
  • Start date
It would be closer to meet in Tri-Cities I think? Once this virus shit is over I'll be headed there to visit my mom. But we'll figure it out.
Possibly. It's a not a rush. Just know this guy would use it! But, the CJ5 isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: Wildman
My new Job is no longer being a mechanic. So all my tools will be at home. And I will use the might as well theory for a project like that. Rebuild the lower end, new main wiring harness for the Jeep.

You know. But I will probably enjoy working on it more not working on cars everyday.

Yep I wasn't very interested in working on my own stuff after working on others all week so yep I understand.

That thread on JF has a lot of good info and explains it pretty well. There are other threads if you do a search.

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
I did get the EFI harness and computer back into the CJ5 on Saturday. It runs now, but misfires heavy under load, I noticed the Distributor cap is cracked, probably from being shipped around and over 10 years old.

And the original 258 puffs a blue cloud here and there between shifts and decel.

But I'll be damned if I didn't stare over in the Corner of my garage at my All aluminum 5.3 core and start thinking. How dangerous would it really be? It's just a 5.3, in a 3000LB CJ5 with stock size Tires and no lift. And 4 wheel non power drums. It will be fine.

But, @Wildman offered the MPFI kit, and I'll probably just get the TBI going better for the summer and do a rebuild/MPFI kit next winter.

I did get the EFI harness and computer back into the CJ5 on Saturday. It runs now, but misfires heavy under load, I noticed the Distributor cap is cracked, probably from being shipped around and over 10 years old.

And the original 258 puffs a blue cloud here and there between shifts and decel.

But I'll be damned if I didn't stare over in the Corner of my garage at my All aluminum 5.3 core and start thinking. How dangerous would it really be? It's just a 5.3, in a 3000LB CJ5 with stock size Tires and no lift. And 4 wheel non power drums. It will be fine.

But, @Wildman offered the MPFI kit, and I'll probably just get the TBI going better for the summer and do a rebuild/MPFI kit next winter.

Older CJ's IMO are always KEWL with a SBC in it but if I was building a CJ I'd have to drop a 383 w/TPI intake since I always loved that look.

But there is something to be said for keeping the I6 and going old school. A T19 or SM465.
It's cool if you decide you want to do the V-8 swap over the MPI FI cause as we all know the is no replacement for displacement...

Older CJ's IMO are always KEWL with a SBC in it but if I was building a CJ I'd have to drop a 383 w/TPI intake since I always loved that look.

But there is something to be said for keeping the I6 and going old school. A T19 or SM465.
It's cool if you decide you want to do the V-8 swap over the MPI FI cause as we all know the is no replacement for displacement...
I'll be staying with the 258 for sure. This Jeep has a Factory T18 in already, close ratio, but still durable.

• Love
I'll be staying with the 258 for sure. This Jeep has a Factory T18 in already, close ratio, but still durable.

That is great. I like the T18/T19 trans and had a CJ7 that had a T18 once but I ended up having to sell it because the frame & tub was shot from being on the east coast too long.

I look forward to hearing what you think of the MPI on it once it's done.

That is great. I like the T18/T19 trans and had a CJ7 that had a T18 once but I ended up having to sell it because the frame & tub was shot from being on the east coast too long.

I look forward to hearing what you think of the MPI on it once it's done.
Removing the Cylinder head will be the perfect reason to just lift the engine out and rebuild the lower end, if needed.

I would stay stock. Maybe flat top pistons and the mildest cam ever, if not just stock replacement.

I will NEVER use the machine shop in my town again though. That's all I know.

A good friend has a CJ-5 with a 360 in it. Pretty mild (I think it has a cam and a 4bbl). Fiberglass body. It's an absolute riot. The roster tails you can throw with that thing in the dunes are unbelievable. It's loud and obnoxious, a bit scary, and mucho fun.

• Love
Installed the quiet flow this morning. Sounds like stock again. Ahh. Those welds look like muffler shop did them, but it was me and the ole Lincoln 120V and some .025".....maybe not muffler shop quality but good enough for me.
20210325_095622.jpg

20210325_095611.jpg

20210325_095615.jpg

20210325_095625.jpg

20210325_095629.jpg

20210325_095632.jpg

20210325_095645.jpg

20210325_095611.jpg

I even removed the Rough Country throttle body spacer that has been on it since I bought it used in Spokane. That was the only rough country part on this thing.

pure garbage, unbelievable I left it on this long. I need a 03-06 factory air intake. Boy ebay sellers are proud of them....
20210325_103245.jpg

Reactions: DuncLJ and Wildman
I even removed the Rough Country throttle body spacer that has been on it since I bought it used in Spokane. That was the only rough country part on this thing.

pure garbage, unbelievable I left it on this long. I need a 03-06 factory air intake. Boy ebay sellers are proud of them....
View attachment 237441
I saw one on FB yesterday, I’ll send it to you.

I see the only difference in the older TJ air pipe is the intake air temp sensor. I don't see why a hole could just be drilled and the grommet from my lame ass "airaid" pipe couldn't be fitted into an older TJ air pipe and box?

They sell for 95$ free shipping on eBay

The airaid box is super loud, and I added the pre-filter, but I know it filters shittier than the OEM box with paper filter.

High flow filters are fine for shit like my old chevy. But I hate it on this thing.

View attachment 237441
Oh man, how are you dealing with the reduced horsepower...

;)

Oh man, how are you dealing with the reduced horsepower...

;)
I ordered a stock style intake complete off ebay for 95$ shipped. I will measure the hole and steal the grommet from my cold air Intake and swap it in there for my intake air temp sensor. If for any reason that doesn't work. I see just the 2005-06 style pipes only for sale on ebay also.

I don't see why it won't work. That's how it's sitting in the sweet AirAid frosty cold air intake that is on it. I knew the day I drove it home from spokane I wanted to take it off. But 2 years later and ungodly amounts of other mods, now I am.

The only noise I wanna hear is my music, and the mud tires humming slightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my thread, so I can share my opinion that the 4.0 is a tractor engine. If you wanna go fast or have crushing power in your Jeep. Get a built V8.

The 4.0 is not an LS. I don't even care for the forced induction kits they make for this engine. Get a different engine if real power is your goal.

The 4.0 is adequate for moving the Jeep. I like this thing to be quiet also cause I use it during hunting season. And it actually does matter if it's smooth and quiet.

Reactions: DuncLJ
This is my thread, so I can share my opinion that the 4.0 is a tractor engine. If you wanna go fast or have crushing power in your Jeep. Get a built V8.

The 4.0 is not an LS. I don't even care for the forced induction kits they make for this engine. Get a different engine if real power is your goal.

The 4.0 is adequate for moving the Jeep. I like this thing to be quiet also cause I use it during hunting season. And it actually does matter if it's smooth and quiet.
The Jorts and stark white New Balance sneakers should also help you blend in with the natural environment while on the hunt. 😂

• Haha