Montana TJ Unlimited parts magnet

• Thread starter Cross-Threaded-06TJ
  • Start date
C

Cross-Threaded-06TJ

First post, and thread.

Bought this last April. 3rd Wrangler I've owned and many other 4x4's. Been a mechanic for 20 years now. Built transmissions for 10 years over 3,000 units including diffs and T-cases brought to my bench, then 8 with Mercedes Benz, short stint with Jeep and now Chevy in Idaho. Moved from Montana to Idaho in October last year.

It is an Automatic, the 42RLE. I really don't mind that it is so hated. I built so many of this style of transmission that I just don't mind it. If the PCM craps I'll just order the Wrangler Fix PCM. Internally the 42RLE is basically the same as a dodge caravan as far as the clutches and planets. It can be upgraded slightly when rebuilt. Transgo, and a company called Sonnax make things to improve performance. I will be adding an Aux trans cooler also.

Took this thing mountain biking right after buying it and it blew the rear Freeze plug type block heater out going down the interstate in August and the engine overheated so fast that was it, she died. So, I ordered one of the few Chrysler 4.0 remans remaining to my work and replaced it. Runs great now and has no block heater. I did not install the one that blew out anyway.

Tomorrow I will be heading into work and installing the Zone 4" lift and a few other goodies. Then ordering Gears and lockers and a few other things. Hope any feedback can be positive, I know Zone isn't the best but I just want to get things started without going full broken bank, will be adding daystars 1" body lift with this soon I'm sure. I will replace/upgrade the control arms and phase things out that suck down the line. The usual. It will never stop i'm sure as I am replacing lost dreams with this rig. This one won't get sold, people always say that but I mean it. If i'm dead or in assisted living then it can be sold or crushed and recycled Ha.

I did add the harbor Freight winch and replaced the cable synthetic winch line. I am aware HF isn't Warn. I probably should have ordered a Warn, But I'll give the china winch a chance. It has worked OK the few times I've used it. I have added the Rattle master Smittybuilt swing out tire carrier also, yeah it shows its price.....

Specs as is.

2006 TJ
4.0L-Mopar reman
42RLE
NP231
Airaid intake w pre-filter
JKS sway bar disconnects front
HF 12K winch with synth rope.....
Smittybilt rattle master 9000 rear bumper
Pioneer deck
Pioneer speakers front and rear
Bestop seat cover front
G.E.A.R Smittybilt MOLLE rear seat cover thingy
KC headlights
KC foglamps

Parts already ordered and going on tomorrow....

Zone 4"
Rusty's adjustable front trackbar-I know Rusty's is not the most loved, Ha.

Russel Braided Extended brake lines 4-6"
Rubicon Express stabilizer
(5) 15x8 3.75 B/S Black steelies
(5) 35x12.50R15 Mastercraft Courser M/T

Parts on the radar and may order soon.
Detroit locker Rear
Aussie Locker Front
Revolution Gear/bearing 5.13 gear package
Chro-moly inner axles Front
Yukon Free Spin kit Dana 30
41 tooth speedometer gear
Daystar 1" body lift

Be gentle when you disagree with my plans, remember I'm new.....ha!

I
20190726_180512.jpg
20190705_162017.jpg
20190714_104152.jpg
20190724_171242.jpg
20190728_172444.jpg

Installed the lift Saturday. Went smoothly and I aligned it afterward. Turned out great. Yes 2 of my wheels wanted a lot of balancing weights if anybody notices, I'm aware as I did the work and was in a mild hurry on my lunch break mounting them. I will re balance after 1000 miles or so of break in. And I will rotate the 2 that wanted lots of weight 90 degrees or more if needed on the rim and get them down a little in weight. They are balanced smooth though, no shaking up to 75mph.

I have already ordered my Lockers and gears and some other parts. I did order Yukon's free spin hubs kit and Yukon's Chromoly inner shafts to match the outers that come with the kit for the front. An SYE is on the want list now.

20200313_171130.jpg
20200313_172500.jpg
20200313_171628.jpg
20200314_160612.jpg
20200314_160911.jpg
20200314_093240.jpg

Very clean TJ. Glad you picked a reman over a rebilt. Looks fabulous.
Not a bad shop either.

Thanks. I added a pre-filter to that Cold air intake filter right after that pic too! The Cold air was on it when I bought this thing last spring.

There were 11 4.0L engines available nationwide when we ordered it.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Some UPS rolled in. And a few shots of my chevy 1 ton rear axle and the swampers for that truck. I'm "building" 2 vehicles at the same time. TIG welded the tubes to the diff on the 14 bolt and the Dana 60 is at home waiting to come down to the shop and be built by me. This is a Jeep forum tho so I won't bore you too much with that chevy stuff. :D
20200316_115525.jpg
20200316_115536.jpg
20200316_115547.jpg
20200316_115557.jpg

Brown santa brought me gears and axle shafts. Not too exciting but an update none the less. Will post pics as work continues. Never hurts to share work with like minded madmen and women.

Not really pioneering anything here, but others may be able to learn from my mistakes or success.

Can't work on it this saturday, going to my girlfriends Father's bull sale in Leadore Idaho.
20200318_124508.jpg

Damn... I really need to find myself a new TJ. Looking at yours makes me realize how much I miss mine.

I Found this one in Spokane last April. I think the sales guy thought I was a little off. I brought a really tiny mirror and LED flashlight to check the inside of the frame through the access holes in the sides for rust! This Jeep is not Very rusted at all for being a Montana and Washington Jeep.

Are you TJ-Less....Or just low on TJ's? I'm new so possibly not in the Know.

Reactions: Chris
I Found this one in Spokane last April. I think the sales guy thought I was a little off. I brought a really tiny mirror and LED flashlight to check the inside of the frame through the access holes in the sides for rust! This Jeep is not Very rusted at all for being a Montana and Washington Jeep.

Are you TJ-Less....Or just low on TJ's? I'm new so possibly not in the Know.

Sounds like a solid buy.

I am TJ-less and have been for months now. Waiting until we move to purchase a new one, since I don't want to have to ship another vehicle.

I had to sell my last one to pay off some IRS debt I owed from a long, long time ago!

• Sad
Reactions: Whitetrash
Sounds like a solid buy.

I am TJ-less and have been for months now. Waiting until we move to purchase a new one, since I don't want to have to ship another vehicle.

I had to sell my last one to pay off some IRS debt I owed from a long, long time ago!
That sucks, I have received 2 CP-2000 forms from the IRS myself in the past. It was my own fault of course. I now no longer due my own taxes.

Hope you Refill that TJ need soon. Where are you moving to? If you don't mind me asking?

That sucks, I have received 2 CP-2000 forms from the IRS myself in the past. It was my own fault of course. I now no longer due my own taxes.

Hope you Refill that TJ need soon. Where are you moving to? If you don't mind me asking?

Back in 2008 when I started my own business, I made 60k and didn't realize I had to withhold my own taxes. I ended up owing something like 10k (give or take), but I also didn't file a tax return for that year (I was young and stupid, and didn't know ANYTHING about taxes).

Well, the total amount I ended up owing them was around 26k, because of all the interest and penalties for that money. Lesson learned I guess, I'll certainly never make that mistake again!

We're debating on where to move, but it's looking like we may move down south to South Carolina, as we can get a place with a nice house and acres of land for a reasonable price.

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
Back in 2008 when I started my own business, I made 60k and didn't realize I had to withhold my own taxes. I ended up owing something like 10k (give or take), but I also didn't file a tax return for that year (I was young and stupid, and didn't know ANYTHING about taxes).

Well, the total amount I ended up owing them was around 26k, because of all the interest and penalties for that money. Lesson learned I guess, I'll certainly never make that mistake again!

We're debating on where to move, but it's looking like we may move down south to South Carolina, as we can get a place with a nice house and acres of land for a reasonable price.

26K ouch. South Carolina though. A trek from Oregon, but could be awesome.

26K ouch. South Carolina though. A trek from Oregon, but could be awesome.

I agree... the interest the charge is absolutely insane!

I think it would be fun to have a lot of land, that's something we've always wanted, but it's just not attainable anywhere on the west side of the U.S.

The Aussie showed up. Nice to see something Made in USA. The reason I picked it over other lunch box lockers for the front.

I did order a Detroit full case locker for the rear, but have learned they are supposedly made in Taiwan for a while now? Quality is supposedly ok still.....

It has not showed up yet. I did not like how the Yukon grizzly locker needed spacers around the bolts for 3/8th ring gear bolts. I was told it works fine but still wanted to go with what I have had great experience with in the past and that was a detroit.

I am going to be running a Grizzly in my 14 bolt in the Chevy though.
20200318_135656.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: