Montana TJ Unlimited parts magnet

• Thread starter Cross-Threaded-06TJ
  • Start date

That's going to stand out. (y) Your LJ is coming along great!

Re your '74 CJ5, I used to have a '69 CJ5 back in the '70s. It was also red with white wheels. I only had a hard top for it which was a white Meyers half cab with white steel doors. I think it was the "snow plow" package because I had it too. Among many other escapades, in 1974 I drove a friend of mine to the local Jeep dealership to pick up his brand new '74 CJ5. He went with light metallic green with white wheels and a white soft top with the one piece soft doors with the top and bottom windows. He went back later to pick up the plow. I don't have a clue where either of those CJ5's are now but they were a lot of fun for 2 young "plow boys".

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
As much as I love my Jeep, I also have a soft spot for Chevy trucks with an SBC. Yours looks great. Any plans to paint the exterior with the same green?

I had finished my 88 Silverado build last year. It had 268000 miles but just about everything was new.

Of course, last summer I let my son borrow it for the weekend. He got rear-ended at a stoplight and pushed into the car in front of him. My son was fine, but the truck was a total loss. Just like that....
So, I'm on the lookout for my next project. Always have loved the stepside squarebodies.

20180430_164947.jpg

20181112_104841_resized.jpg

20181112_104909_resized.jpg

As much as I love my Jeep, I also have a soft spot for Chevy trucks with an SBC. Yours looks great. Any plans to paint the exterior with the same green?

I had finished my 88 Silverado build last year. It had 268000 miles but just about everything was new.

Of course, last summer I let my son borrow it for the weekend. He got rear-ended at a stoplight and pushed into the car in front of him. My son was fine, but the truck was a total loss. Just like that....
So, I'm on the lookout for my next project. Always have loved the stepside squarebodies.

View attachment 200943
View attachment 200944
View attachment 200945

We all love pictures, right? That's why we are all here anyway, just to see the other guys stuff. So here's a Squarebody pic dump. Let me start by saying that this truck is very precision....so painting it bright grave digger green would guarantee I get A shit ton of tickets. This truck is fairly loud, and you can hear the 38's humming down the road from a ways away.

I plan to leave it poop faded brown for a bit. It may sound crazy here, but If/when I paint this Beast I was gonna do "oxide red" which is a neat name for primer barn red. Cause Charles hates painting things. I have a tendency to not have much fear when wheeling in this thing. It see's a different driving behavior than the TJ.

I have a set of Off Road Design tube doors for this thing I haven't installed yet. I Plan to add DIY4X "roll cage" kit. I have a 4x4 problem basically. The only 3 rigs I own are old solid axle rigs. My fiancé has nice new vehicles though, so there's that.

This truck has 1 ton axles built by me. 5.13 gears both locked. Grizzly locker rear, Spartan front. Yukon Extreme hubs. SM465/ NP205. Both fully rebuilt by me and upgraded inside. Even the 4 speed is beefed up inside as much as I could.

We will just say my Fiancé is a "Chevy Girl" so I take a lot of shit for having two Jeeps. But she likes my old brown bomber.

God bless America boys and girls. Regardless of the election outcome, we will still all wheel, one way or another.

I have an Old Warn M8000 to replace that China winch at home also, it was in my Dad's garage so I'm stoked to throw it on there. Oh, and I don't have any current pics but I tossed a fairly large stereo in it. So yeah, noisy. The engine is not installed right now, that may happen this Saturday.

9870.jpeg
20200716_183341.jpg
20200716_183409.jpg
20200718_151626.jpg
20200718_151708.jpg
20200801_222703.jpg
20200821_175148.jpg
20200821_180030.jpg
20200802_103730.jpg
20200821_180046.jpg
20200822_083128.jpg
20200821_180315.jpg
20200718_162517.jpg
20200712_090044.jpg

20200821_164236.jpg

Great pics! Looks like a fun project.

Yeah, you're right, bright Grave Digger green might scream a little to loudly on that truck. LoL

Great pics! Looks like a fun project.

Yeah, you're right, bright Grave Digger green might scream a little to loudly on that truck. LoL
Thanks! Yes, it is not precision at all. It's a fun rig for sure. This engine is not really a wild build. But it will be a good match for this truck. Idle to 5500 RPM. Took me forever to get the machine shop to get my block done. 2 months just to punch it out and press in cam bearings and wash it. I did all the rest.

Nice TJ/CJ/K10. Multiple projects definitely keep you busy, but they're all cool.
It's nice that the shop lets you have the pups there. I was in the dealer world for 15 years, been out for a while now. I don't miss the sales folks always wanting something. I bailed when the family business went corporate.
Keep on building!

I haven't installed my tailgate moryde yet. Or my UCF bumper. I keep working on the old Chevy. I have a hood vent for the Jeep also. I like to cut up the pretty sheet metal on this Jeep. Like an idiot, ha. But its mine and it's no collectors item.

Partying in Chevy world is easier than Jeeps, being tacky is acceptable. Im gonna run a 4 row aluminum Chinese Wuhan radiator with pusher and puller fans. 4 electric fans. Thankfully I am running 150 amp alternator.

I plan to install rock sliders and some type of roll bar CB mount jungle gym exo "cage"on the Chevy at some point. Just need to not make it look like poo too much. Need to buy a tubing bender.....

That's a replacement engine crossmember from ORD. My factory unit was cracked almost all the way through.

20201107_082259.jpg
20201104_171731.jpg
20201107_101546.jpg
20201107_102213.jpg

Damn, that looks clean! 🍻
Thank you! As usual 😎. I didn't paint it yet cause it's still cold out.

Part of me is thinking about just polishing it somehow and staying on top of that. The contrast almost looks good on the front.

Plus it shows off the aluminum. You know "weight savings"......

Reactions: JMT and DuncLJ
Thank you! As usual 😎. I didn't paint it yet cause it's still cold out.

Part of me is thinking about just polishing it somehow and staying on top of that. The contrast almost looks good on the front.

Plus it shows off the aluminum. You know "weight savings"......
I do like the contrast of the bare aluminum against the dark blue of your jeep. Even if you decide to paint it, silver might look pretty good.
And, yeah, you gotta show off anything with a weight loss: wives, girlfriends, Jeeps. LoL 😆

Reading through your posts and came across this one. Man I love Leadore. I know that area very well. There's a fun trail you can take from Leadore, up and over into sawmill canyon and on up pass creak to come out by Mackay/Moore.

Took the old TJ out to leadore Idaho for some Hunting. Here are some poser shots. Actually had a good time wheeling though. The trails were better than these parked shots. Just didn't take many pics.
View attachment 196024View attachment 196025View attachment 196026View attachment 196027View attachment 196028

Reading through your posts and came across this one. Man I love Leadore. I know that area very well. There's a fun trail you can take from Leadore, up and over into sawmill canyon and on up pass creak to come out by Mackay/Moore.
All that stuff from Atomic City-Ketchum is awesome. The Pioneers are super cool and have a lot of good trails.

Reactions: jaywebguy
Holy winch cover Batman 😲

Bumper looks good though. Will look even better black!

Thanks!

The winch looks good without the cover, but I really want guard it most the time. It was expensive. Unnecessary, but a nice touch.

I'll paint it soon, I just need to do it correctly so it doesn't peel/flake easy.

Reactions: TJ Starting