Ideas for keeping a clean and organized shop

JustDandee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I need help, might need therapy, but let’s start with help. Looking for ideas, tips, widgets and gadgets that you found useful to keep your garage/shop clean.

My work bench is buried in stuff, tool box not well sorted, if it’s a flat surface I have stuff on it. I keep stuff, from cars I no longer have, because the possibility me having another air cooled VW is a real possibility… or my kids…or someone I know.

My wife says I have to many cars is there such a thing? I start a cleaning session and invariably I find that lost widget in my pile and get side track- (this part might work on the tractor). Attention deficit Disorder I think they call it 😄. anyhow appreciate any ideas, this winter I just have outdone myself and I need a serious spring clean day/week.

Reactions: Squatch and BlueC
I need help, might need therapy, but let’s start with help. Looking for ideas, tips, widgets and gadgets that you found useful to keep your garage/shop clean.

My work bench is buried in stuff, tool box not well sorted, if it’s a flat surface I have stuff on it. I keep stuff, from cars I no longer have, because the possibility me having another air cooled VW is a real possibility… or my kids…or someone I know.

My wife says I have to many cars is there such a thing? I start a cleaning session and invariably I find that lost widget in my pile and get side track- (this part might work on the tractor). Attention deficit Disorder I think they call it 😄. anyhow appreciate any ideas, this winter I just have outdone myself and I need a serious spring clean day/week.

If youre the only one using the garage/shop, just get a couple tool chests and throw your stuff in there however you want. Doesn’t need to be sorted. My garage is a complete mess with no organization at all, but I still know where everything is. I guess because I’m just in there so often and I usually put stuff back in the general area I picked it up from… I’ve tried to organize it, it never ends up working.

I have a rule in my garage that I clean up after every project. That means, all tools put away, trash thrown away, organized, and floor swept.

I have moved several times, and have learned to organize my garage as I am moving in. So, over the years, I have purchased the shelves or workbenches or tool chests that I need for my specific set of tools. When I move into a new place, it all goes back into its respective cabinet. My garage is completely full, but I always know where everything is, and only rarely get behind on cleaning.

Thats just how I do it.

***I should add, it is currently a mess because I started two projects consecutively.

Shelving along walls can be a good place to store spare parts, oil, etc. I have some wire-rack shelving on wheels that is nice because you can roll it out of the way to clean in behind it easily.

If short on toolbox space make a point to buy another or otherwise it's impossible to have tools orgainized. I have found local auction listings to frequently have toolboxes listed and they can go very cheap sometimes. Also I have bought a chest at my local Sam's club (I believe branded Seville) that I like as well as my Craftsman boxes.

My garage has a decked out attic above accessed by a stairwell that provides a TON of space to store the stuff I don't frequently use or may never use but can't let go of. Could you install a ladder to access the garage attic? If so that can be a great place for those spare parts that you don't need stored in your workspace.

Not a fan of them but a person could buy a yard barn to store stuff in as well.

All in all it is easy to accumulate junk, I think making a habit of completely cleaning up after each project is a good start.

I would say the number one item to help organize your garage outside of a couple roll-away tool boxes is 6ft tall x 42" or 48" wide steel storage cabinets. The steel cabinets have a few hundred pound capacity per shelf and it's shocking how many power tools and other items you can fit inside. I have five of them and bought them used at an estate sale but even at full price they're worth it.

Steel Cabinet.jpg

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
I utilized peg board. Everything is flat against the surface, out of the way, and if you need it, its easy to spot right there in front of you. My current garage, I plan on using that again as well as shelving. Getting everything up off the floor is a good start.

Reactions: Grant Lasson
I have a rule in my garage that I clean up after every project. That means, all tools put away, trash thrown away, organized, and floor swept.

^ This is the best way for me, although I don't always follow through as projects drag along. Definitely keep your tools organized and in their place. This will make things easier/faster when you need something, and you will know what's missing for some reason. I also recommend having as many things on wheels as possible so it's easy to move around as needed, which helps with clean up. Years ago I used to empty out my garage every spring and clean, but I don't have that kind of extra time now.

You could also clean up and organize and then never go back in there. ;)

I try and clean up as I go but when the projects stack up sometimes I wait a bit then spend 1/2 day or so organizing. I have shelves all the way up every wall and lately I have started putting a Blue Tape label on each box and writing with a Sharpie what is in the box. I also keep each different vehicle's parts in a separate spot, so when I need something for that vehicle I know where to look. Same with different types of stuff, like electrical all goes in one area, nuts and bolts in another etc. Keeping the benches and work tables clear is a never ending job.
The other thing I do is keep things for about 10 years, then I throw them away about a week before I need them. :rolleyes:

I agree with @flyinfish on the cabinets, but I use ancient surplus half-cabinets hung on the walls, leaving room for other equipment below. These work well for power tools which don't fit well in regular tool boxes.

And most importantly, it gives a place to put all those stickers you don't want to put on your Jeep. You'll probably have to tape on a fake Savvy sticker like I did. :)

Cabinet_01.jpg

I also built some metal shelves on wheels, and a metal shelf rack on wheels that I keep all my plastic organizers on so I can pull them out to get to the contents just like the ones at the hardware store. For my bigger hardware, nut and bolts 1/4" and up I made racks on the walls above one of the work benches and bought plastic bins to keep all the sizes sorted. I usually buy hardware by the box instead of each.

I agree with @flyinfish on the cabinets, but I use ancient surplus half-cabinets hung on the walls, leaving room for other equipment below. These work well for power tools which don't fit well in regular tool boxes.

And most importantly, it gives a place to put all those stickers you don't want to put on your Jeep. You'll probably have to tape on a fake Savvy sticker like I did. :)

View attachment 401982

Good point on the elevation, my shelves don't start till 5 feet from the floor so I can store things along the walls plus get to the electrical outlets which I mounted at 48" AFF. My shelves go to the ceiling which is 12 feet so I have a rolling stair to get things down.

Well I think I just need to commit to giving up some space to shelving. I have a couple of rolling tables that I dont roll around so maybe I start there. - on one side I had rented to a family member using the apartment/garage space- he has moved on so I was hoping to keep it less cluttered for cleaning detailing but idea has not gone so well.. I got project sprawl instead🤦‍♂️

To echo what has already been said, the stuff must get put away at the end of the project. Socket organizers in toolbox drawers, and assorted tools on peg boards allow you to immediately identify a missing item. If for some reason I'm pressed for time, at a minimum I will pick up all tools and set them in a pile on my bench forcing me to put them away at some point when I need the bench space for the next project. Everything must have a location. I like efficiency and nothing drives me nuts like wasting 20 minutes looking for a simple pair of pliers. Of course, as I age, I normally find the pliers on the top of the fridge because for some reason I set them up there when I went for a beer… normally find the remote up there too.

I spent 21 years in the Army and most of it was as a mechanic. I picked up a lot of good habits from having a few stints running a tool room and bench stock/shop stock van. You’re responsible for a ton of stuff, and if it doesn’t find its way back into the tool room by the end of the day, it can get ugly.

Reactions: JustDandee

View attachment 401982

That type of hanging wall cabinet is great! I use that style for spray paint, brake clean, grease, loctite and many other items. You do have to be mindful of where to mount it due to headache hazard.
Looks like a good place for your stereo on top too! :)

here is what I am working with- its 30 feet deep but lots of height. The Chevelle or Jeep are alternating in the empty spot. The van photo is in my more recently freed space and is not laid out well- its two cars wide but only single door- which is why the car dollys.

3066674D-5C53-4991-93A3-E00FED72D4DD.jpeg

8ADE7259-67FD-4928-8F2C-6E6021CDFF4F.jpeg

That's a nice size, you have tons of unused wall space. I used plywood on my walls instead of drywall so I can screw stuff in wherever, but my shelves are fastened to the studs. I used John Sterling heavy duty tracks with different lengths of supports so my lower shelves are not as deep as the uppers then pine boards for the actual shelves. Deep shelves are not always the best as stuff gets lost in the back. Pine boards make for the best and easiest shelving but if money is tight you can use MDF and put furring strips on the lower outside edge to strengthen them.
For the space over the door I made a rack to hold dimensional lumber on one side and sheet goods on the other side, then I made a simple pulley lift to store my camper shell on but I never use it for that, instead I store things up there and will probably be where I store my extra set of beach tires. Instead of rope and pulleys I use ratchet straps with safety chains in place, I can adjust the safety chains at any position with big S hooks.

I almost forgot to ask about the Econoline. My best friend in high school had a 64, we had fun cruising around in that van. He put 15" speakers in back:eek: That was in the days before sub woofers. He wrapped it around a light pole one night after first taking out a fire hydrant, the bill from the city was a lot more than the van was worth.

I forgot to mention, a few years ago I removed the 20x10 door and raised the header as far as I could and installed a 20x11 rollup door to fit my motorhome in. It cleared up a bunch of ceiling space.

Appreciate the feed back, I guess its really a matter if getting some more storage built - Please share any designs you may have -I wonder if I dont have some brackets like that John Sterling and did not know what it was... I like the idea of the shallower shelves too, and step a little in size on the 2nd tier. To deep and things will get buried. Leaning toward shelving than cabinets so I can readily see everything. Cabinets might better on the side where the truck is - gets more dirty on that side with grinder/welder etc...

I hear you about cleaning up after every project- that might need therapy hypnosis :)
My garage has a decked out attic above accessed by a stairwell that provides a TON of space to store the stuff I don't frequently use or may never use but can't let go of. Could you install a ladder to access the garage attic?

Ceiling is about 12' up and the attic is small-- this is really a cinder block old Tractor barn (50's) that a previous owner sided, put 2x4 walls up in the interior walls and sheet rock- super thick walls -just under insulated in the ceiling to almost perfect. So I want to preserve what little space that is up there for some r value in the future

I almost forgot to ask about the Econoline. My best friend in high school had a 64, we had fun cruising around in that van. He put 15" speakers in back:eek: That was in the days before sub woofers. He wrapped it around a light pole one night after first taking out a fire hydrant, the bill from the city was a lot more than the van was worth.

Ironically this is 64'- I didn't know it go fast enough to wrap itself around anything- but you friend is lucky- they are really not that robust of a vehicle for hitting anything. I love that sitting up front of the window view and the 3 speed on the column- its fun cruiser that you dont see on the road around very much at all.

Last edited: