Identifying internal frame rust with endoscope

I did it in my spare time on weekends. With two kids to raise and a wife, it started when I removed the skid plates - the nut inside the frame broke loose why I discovered the rust scales in there, took down gas tank at one weekend, then removed the bumpers, moved onto the coil springs on a dedicated lift from a friend, I changed some bump stops while was on it, and then removed the shocks when I had a chance. I took all the time when I had the chance. Wire brushed the inside for 6 times and flushed it with air compressor.
View attachment 61845

Curious if this is the inside of your frame or another previously shared photo you found? If it's yours, how have you fared since you cleaned it out and coated it?

I took it from one of the website, like I said in previous thread.

But my black Sahara is the one that was rusted and scaled heavily inside. Took me a lot of labor to clean it. I did not coat the inside, and maybe it's a mistake that I poured linseed oil inside instead of proper paint coat.
But it is scale free now, it still have surface rusts inside the walls but it does not bother me now as much as when I first had it.

No longer OEM... daughter got the bumper messed up off roading in KC MO and she cut the ends out :(

I took it from one of the website, like I said in previous thread.

But my black Sahara is the one that was rusted and scaled heavily inside. Took me a lot of labor to clean it. I did not coat the inside, and maybe it's a mistake that I poured linseed oil inside instead of proper paint coat.
But it is scale free now, it still have surface rusts inside the walls but it does not bother me now as much as when I first had it.

No longer OEM... daughter got the bumper messed up off roading in KC MO and she cut the ends out :(

Gotcha - ha yeah, I guess I'm basically asking versions of the same question at this point to reassure myself. I'm not sure what other extra info/knowledge there is to be gleaned. I'm still in the babying stage with the car and every odd thing that happens kinda sends me into worry mode (I know this is silly). It has a jittery ride among other weird things/sounds that keep me wondering...

Shout out from KCMO, my hometown.

Last edited:
Gotcha - ha yeah, I guess I'm basically asking versions of the same question at this point to reassure myself. I'm not sure what other extra info/knowledge there is to be gleaned. I'm still in the babying stage with the car and every odd thing that happens kinda sense me into worry mode (I know this is silly). It has a jittery ride among other weird things/sounds that keep me wondering...

Shout out from KCMO, my hometown.
I was the same way when I first bought the Jeep the first few months. After I took it off road the first time I got over it. Some of my buddies take their $50k JL rubicon’s off road and I’m not sure if I’d do that lol

I have one of these, too. I used it on some electrical conduit in our newly-finished basement to figure out why the wire we were trying to run through the boxes kept stopping at a certain point. Turns out some doofus drywalled over a box he didn't realize was there. What a putz, that guy! I'll — I mean — he'll have to be more careful next time!

The only downside to this camera is that the edges of it are hard corners. If you get stuck on something, you'll have a really hard time trying to push the camera through. I fixed this issue by wrapping a little bit of painters tape around the camera cylinder to make it more "rounded".

I hadn't even thought to use the scope for this purpose. Good call, @Westtown Willy!

Your frame looks good but would you please warn me before the next time you mention the use of endoscopes? :risas3:

I have had much recent experience at doctors offices due to medical problems. Thankfully, my surgeon uses "Tender Touch" gloves. I was sent to him after a colonoscopy found a tumor. First thing he did was look for himself. Of course, I wasn't drugged for this. He used a small tool I never got to see. I asked him if he was using his Iphone and one of those fiber scopes I had seen on TV. He didn't seem to think that was funny. I think I have PTSD from the experience., Anytime somebody points a finger at me I get nervous.

Jeep content:

Last edited:
That's the reason why I don't believe in colonoscopy.
One too many "o" for me.

The colonoscopy is easy. The hard part is when they find something. I had my first colonoscopy at 65. They found a tumor. Xrays, CAT scans, and surgery showed my cancer had not spread, so my prognosis is good. I was lucky. My wife is still mad at me for not going to the doctor regularly. Don't be a baby.

So last year I Eastwooded the inside of my frame. When I finish a day of wheeling I stop at a do it yourself car wash at the bottom of the mountain & blow all the crap off the Jeep & flush the rails also with the power washer. Well, in doing so I’ve inadvertently blown some of the Eastwood off by sticking the nozzle in there on full blast. I didn’t realize it until it was too late, I just happened to look through one of the large round holes in the frame (one of the entry points for the power washer) when I noticed the black coating was gone in the exact spots where the nozzle goes in. So I have to re-do all the entry points.

Since noticing that a few months ago I carry a 2 foot section of garden hose & I put the nozzle in there then fish the hose into the frame & pull the trigger just enough to get a nice easy flow of water which is sufficient to flush out any mud & silt; no more direct high velocity water hitting the rails.

Anyway I had never heard of an endoscope camera attachment until seeing some pictures taken by them on the forum. I wanted to be able to identify all the areas that needed to be redone plus I really wanted a good look inside there to check the status of the frame in general so I ordered a cheap one on Amazon for $33; it showed up today & here’s some shots I took, going to spend some more time over the weekend to really cover the entire frame from end to end on both sides. So far though I think it’s looking pretty good. Checked all my TC bolts, all solid. By the way this would be a great tool for someone TJ hunting, super easy way to get a quick look deep inside the frame in addition to sticking your finger in there & feeling.

Here's the link to the endoscope camera I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTHWK4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 60760 View attachment 60762 View attachment 60763 View attachment 60764 View attachment 60765 View attachment 60766 View attachment 60767
Another great use of the camera is looking at the body mount bolts. I used mine to make sure the copious amounts of liquid wrench was hitting the bolts. Worked great There are enough factory openings in the body to see most or all if I remember correctly