Idle issue when A/C is on

Justemptyeverypocket

Possible Maniac
Supporting Member
My Jeep idles smooth as silk until the heat of ac is turned on then it bounces is this a sign of a bad pressure switch ? Please excuse my talking took this at 6am before my drive to work

I hear the vents blowing. Does the motor actually fluctuate like the tach? Does it do the same thing with the blower turned down to 1 or low?

The rpms will fluctuate due to the ac conpressor cycling on and off. When the conpressor cycles on it will spike the rpms a decent bit. There is a way to fix it known as the knucklehead AC bypass on wrangler forum
I did it on mine and its nice because I can use the defrost and have the face and feet on without ac

Reactions: Jeep 541X
If his pump is cycling that fast, it is probably a switch or electrical interruption.

So this is only a function of AC or does it do the same thing when the HVAC knob of out of the air conditioning position? If it's only on an AC pop your hood & see if the compressor clutch is cycling on & off with the fluctuating RPMs.

In your original post, you did not mention "heat", is this a new development or was this also previous to your OP?

It's when ever the heat or ac is on the knob can be on defrost or blowing straight at me it makes no difference my main problem is the bucking it does it makes the Jeep almost undrivable when I have heat or ac on which is a problem in colorado

So this is only a function of AC or does it do the same thing when the HVAC knob of out of the air conditioning position? If it's only on an AC pop your hood & see if the compressor clutch is cycling on & off with the fluctuating RPMs.