Idle issues

Boog54

05 Rubi, 6 speed.....When I push in the clutch my idle drops to nothing then it comes back up to normal. Is it a sensor issue??

Maybe check idle air controller on your throttle body. The little housing is known to get gunked up and clog the air that the engine receives during idle. Whether or not it will fix your problem its still a good thing to do every once in a while so it cant hurt. You'll want to take the little housing off (has 4 security torx screws). It will say "4.0" on the housing. Remove that and the IAC and clean both up with an old tooth brush.

Thanks, sounds like a good place to start!!

From all the threads I've read about idle issue it always seems to end up being related to the IAC. People usually end up cleaning it (or replacing it) and the idle issues are usually gone.

77k and I'm sure it's never been cleaned so hopefully that is the fix!

Let us know if it is. It's rather easy to do and should be done anyways once you start getting up their in the miles.

Throw a bottle of Seafoam in tank, another spray can thru throttle body while it is idling.. Do little squirts at first then one big killer squirt to kill engine. Let set for 30 mins. Start it up (I would advise doing this open air environment there will be ALOT of smoke)

I'd use an aerosol can of Throttle Body cleaner like from 3M which is cheaper and better than Seafoam and designed specifically for that type of issue. Start the engine and spray the cleaner into the throttle body. The IAC will pull the cleaner in through itself only at idle RPMs so that's when it will do the most good. No worries, doing this at idle RPMs will cause the engine to die by the cleaner flooding the IAC but that's good as it gives the cleaner extra time inside the IAC to help soften the gunk that gets inside. Just restart the engine and do it again. I normally use at least half-the can if it the interior of the TB doesn't look to bad, or the whole can if it does.

If this doesn't help, it's very likely the TPS (throttle position sensor) which has to be replaced when it goes bad, it can't be cleaned and restored back to good operation like the IAC can.

The "Idle Air Control Passage Inlet" is the intake for the IAC.

TB & TPS Sensor Locations.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris