If anybody put on a Moog DS1235 track bar...

weldedcambolt

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
If anybody put on a moog ds1235 front trac bar on. check the bolt size compared to the holes in the trac front bar bracket. my hole was 10mm, an the bolt going thru the moog which is tight in the moog, is like 8.8mm. the teraflex says it uses a 10m. so if you have a clunking when you turn your steering wheel, it may be this, if the bolt an nut on the bottom passenger side was not tight enough or loosened up due to the bigger hole in the bracket than the bolt, from the movement side to side. if you had someone put it on, they may have not even noticed, the size difference, an not thought about into the future of it coming loose. you can see it move, if you look under an have someone move the steering wheel back an forth, to hear the clunk. make sure you chalk your wheels. You dont have to take it out of park to move the steering wheel side to side, with it running. dont do it with someone that may want to kill you. :) if its the case, moog may want to warn all their customers, of this issue, if the bolt size of ds1235 is not the proper size, an this trac bar is supposed to be for a 2002 jeep wrangler. Even jeep may want to send out a notice on this, letting customers know, if this the case. people are saying when they put the teraflex on, their death wobble stopped....did they have this ds1235, with the wrong bolt size on? if the case?

Hold on....this gets crazier.............so i do some checking, an go to the autoparts store, an check the same moog part on the shelf, so me an the guy measure it acouple times, an its 9.8mm, an moog said it should be 10.2mm. alright, the caliper could be off some. so i go back, an remeasure the hole on the jeep, the bolt an the trac arm......everything changes, except the bolt size which was 8.9mm the hole goes to 10.7mm on the axle bracket from 10mm, of which could lead to play if that bolt is not tight, which i cant see happening if its tightened to spec, wouldnt be tight enough to not move under that kind of force, that changed from last night, the hole in the arm moog goes to 10.2mm to 9.9mm depending on circle, from what i believe i seen of 9mm the night before. all of a sudden all of the numbers changed....crazy.......did the good weather cause the hole to expand over night? at what temperature, should the hole be 10.2mm. say a person puts it on in the cold 10's, will it shrink, that a normal 10mm bolt won't fit, so they get fustrated an put in a smaller bolt, then when it warms up, its got a bunch of play to it? how did i get a 8.9mm bolt in there? is this how that happened....:) crazy man....should ther be a warning with all bushings that depending on the temp, do not put a smaller bolt in if it doesnt fit? figure out why it doesnt fit.....was there some kind of force that wanted me to find out, that moog, that is advertising the devil in the details...but would not help me find out the details in this situation, cause i didnt have the original box. i asked him if theres a stamp on the arm, an he said no, but i found a stamp on the arm.....? are the brackets on the axles need to fixed, if they havent already, from gettin bigger possibly causing death wobble.....does moog have a 10.2mm, an that is it, or it doesnt get sent out? or is ther an allowable variance in their quality control?...possibly causing the lower variance number to shrink in cold weather.....preventing a bolt from gettin in, causin one to put a smaller bolt in? weldedboltcam stands up an shouts to the skies..."how did a smaller bolt get in there, how did all the numbers change, how does a company advertise devil in the details, but wont go there without the original box, did the guy on the phone not want to go there, cause i freak him out an he had visions of a massive recall, decreasing his bonus for the year?:)...an i say again, for all those out there, check your front bracket that its not wobbled out, an check it in all temps, that your hole is the right size in your trac arm, an that the bolt is not smaller than it should be.......something crazy going on out there......

update. i called moog, an they said that part number should be a 10.2 mm bolt hole, but mine is not. so either the part was manufactured with the wrong bushing, of which i got the receipt, but, he said if i dont have the container it came with and the manufacture date, he cant check on it, which means they can never cross check a part from a store who sells their stuff? an will not file a complaint with it, with the engineers, without that original box it came in...to even see if theres a problem....even with the receipt..crazy man. he said, to take it back to the store for a refund, which was a federated parts store. now, did they give me the wrong part?at the store?possibly. Now, the bolt was like the 8 mm bolt, i want to say it was the same one on there before, but was that also a moog arm on there before, an i may not be able to remember if i went an got anohter bolt to fit it? cause this thing had 180000 miles on it, needing that smaller bolt? could the sleeve in there got smaller an made the bolt smaller?:) an if you look on moogs page. http://www.moogparts.com/ the devils in the details, but when thats the case, an you use that as advertisment, its best to want to go look at them details when a customer calls up lookin for the details........? how do i get in to this stuff..:) so for all, go check if you got a ds1235 purchased around 6/2016. i would check em all now, after that phone call. now he said, well its been this long, an no complaints, maybe nobodys been smart enough to understand the flaw, if there was one, an i got the right part, with the wrong sleeve. now if i got the wrong part, is there a mass epidemic of giving out wrong parts on these trac bars. that page says if it doesnt say moog on the box, then its not moog.....what if they take the part out of the box, bag, an put something else in there, a cheaper version, so if your moog, you need to stamp your parts moog. an if i was the dirty jobs guy, i would not want my name on it, until that is all corrected. some lawyer will sue moog, saying they said it was on the box, an someone in the distribution switched the parts....." well they said trust the box"......never trust the box or plastic, especially if your drinking plastic in your water bottles....thats a whole nuther episode....man...

an you cant file a complaint if you didnt see it when you first put it on if something happens with it down the road......did i get that right? if that was the case, everybody would have to be there at the factory inspecting their own car when it was put together......:) yep, that bolts to spec...yep...that axles straight...

update.....couldnt resist:)...so i go buy a pack of 10mm grade 8.8 at home depot. they measure on my caliper, not the greatest. 9.6 to 9.7. is it the great american .3mm bolt heists?:) you getting 10mm of our finest steel- not? so then i take that bolt to the store that gots the moog ds1235, an put the bolt in the hole, an theres wiggle room. so now the holes bigger than the bolt, enough to say that if you bolted those together, an that bar is slammin to the left an the right, that is going to take its toll on the holes in the bracket. so if the calipers right, an they say the moog is 10.2mm, you got .5mm to .6mm of looseness, from a new 10mm bolt thats measuring 9.6/7. so i go to other auto part store an measure that same hdepot bolt to the auto zone bolt, an its saying same 9.6 to 9.7 depends on how hard you push the caliper together, just gently, that is. now, most will replace the bolt with one from the auto store or hardware store.....an this is no doubt leading to problems. now, i have an oem bolt that looks like a factory gray oem bolt an it measures 9.7. so if all the after markets are thinking the bolt is 10mm, an choosing a bushing sleave at 10.2, an they are .5mm to 6.mm off. nothing but problems leading to massive play in the bracket, causing all bushings/joints, to be victims of undersize bolts an over sized holes....i have one more test to do, will be back in acouple days on this:) an i will find the most accurate caliper i can find, to redo all these tests.

Bought the Ds1235 and found that the bushing bolt hole is too small as well.

I also saw that it was a tad longer than the factory track bar, which is perfect as I have a small suspension lift which isn't high enough for an adjustable one without banging on the front diff cover.

Here's the box label from mine.

650F13A1-632C-474F-ABA3-BF2351C33829.jpeg

Bought the Ds1235 and found that the bushing bolt hole is too small as well.

I also saw that it was a tad longer than the factory track bar, which is perfect as I have a small suspension lift which isn't high enough for an adjustable one without banging on the front diff cover.

Here's the box label from mine.

what is the hole size if you have something to measure it with, an feel like doing it. an can the oem bolt slide thru it. after you put it on, circle the bolt head around it with like a thin white line, to see if the bolt moves over time, after you torgue it down.

Last edited: